Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Childs UK Passport for dual nat.

Childs UK Passport for dual nat.

Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:17 am
Just Joined

limeygal is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Childs UK Passport for dual nat.

Hi all,

I'm just in the process of applying for my 3 year old sons first UK passport. He already has a US passport, which he has been travelling on to date. I'm getting him the UK passport as we're planning on moving back to UK for about a year whilst the hubby's deployed. He was born in S.Korea but we registered him at a local consulate so he has a British birth certificate (I'm a British citizen). Everything on the application form is looking fine except Section 3 which asks about his previous passports (both British & Foreign). You have to send the passport in with the application. Unfortunately his US passport is being renewed so it's not in our possession. Part of me doesn't even want to declare his US passport... can anyone tell me if we will get it back???? But because he was born in S.Korea and now lives in the US, they will know he needed a passport to make at least that journey and I don't want to be caught lying!

Any advice from parents of dual nationals who've applied recently would be appreciated

Thanks
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice
Default Re: Childs UK Passport for dual nat.

Hi

When applying for my childrens British Passports I read that question as being previous UK passports rather than any passport. I didn't tell them anything about their Australian and US passports.

I think there was a question which asked if they are citizens of other countries which I did answer.

Goat.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Originally Posted by goatherder
Hi

When applying for my childrens British Passports I read that question as being previous UK passports rather than any passport. I didn't tell them anything about their Australian and US passports.

I think there was a question which asked if they are citizens of other countries which I did answer.

Goat.
Well I just checked the fco site and the form has changed. The notes say you should send in the US passport. We never did that previously.

http://centralcontent.fco.gov.uk/res.../form-c2-notes

That certainly blows! You'll certainly get it back - its the property of the United States after all and it would be theft if they kept it...
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:51 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't send Ds's US passport when I applied for his first, and I got a phone call asking me to fax them the photo page from his US passport just so they could see the pictures matched or something.
You can check the status of the US passport online to see how long till it comes back to you, it delays the UK passport a bit, bit better than getting all the paperwork back and a bigger delay.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:48 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll just have to wait for his US passport to arrive and then send it in with the application. Just hope we get it back! I assume they just need it for ID verification. I've been trying to contact Abtran to ask them some questions but not had any luck getting through. And $2.60/ minute to be put on hold!!! I think not!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Issues discussed at:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Obtain...ports_overseas
Old Apr 9th 2009, 4:08 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

I actually emailed one of the chaps who work with Dean - the British Consul in Florida (I emailed Dean and he passed it on) about this very issue. The guy was REALLY helpful and i quote his reply
The notes for the C-1 and C-2 both say that if you have had a previous passport (British, Commonwealth or foreign) you should tick Yes and complete the details.

What I did when I sent my sons application off was to put the details of his US passport in the section and submit a photocopy of the picture page of the passport.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 5:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the link, it answered a few other questions I had, I will try sending in a photocopy of his US passport and see where it gets me.

Thanks again for the quick replies!
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

I actually just received my sons UK passport this week (me dual UK/US, wife US, child born in US). We just sent in the consulate birth certificate we got a few weeks after he was born along with the application form and passports. No US passport (he has one), no photocopy of the US passport. That seemed to do fine.

Process took about 3 weeks.

Alan.