British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Childrens shops in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/childrens-shops-us-629468/)

jeffco Sep 7th 2009 12:53 am

Childrens shops in the US

Hi we've just moved to Connecticut and are having trouble finding good quality , nice design, reasonable price childrenswear. I know this is very subjective but we like Next and Monsoon. Can anyone recommend any good chains.

Englishmum Sep 7th 2009 1:37 am

Re: Childrens shops in the US

Originally Posted by jeffco (Post 7909875)
Hi we've just moved to Connecticut and are having trouble finding good quality , nice design, reasonable price childrenswear. I know this is very subjective but we like Next and Monsoon. Can anyone recommend any good chains.

Not sure about the age of your children, are they very young or are they in their 'tweens'?

My kids are young adults now but I loved the childrens' clothes from Next, M&S and often even the Ladybird brand from Woolworths.

American fashions are very boring/bland and middle of the road, but places to buy reasonably priced clothes for children include 'The Children's Place', 'Gymboree' the "Limited Too" (also some others but their names escape me!) and of course clothes from the Gap, Babies/ToysRus, Target and department stores like Nordstrom, Sears etc.

I know that quite a few expat mums are buying clothes by mail order from this place:

http://www.hannaandersson.com/home.asp?cchkrd=y

and also mail order from LL Bean.

Don't forget to see what's in Marshalls and TJ Maxx, it's hit and miss but often they have really good stuff in at good prices.

ian-mstm Sep 7th 2009 1:37 am

Can anyone recommend any good chains.

One word: Target!

Ian

Mummy in the foothills Sep 7th 2009 2:16 am

I'd look for the nearest outlet Mall and shop Gap, Carters, Gymboree. That's what we do, plus hanna andersson online when they have good sales. But I'm shopping for a 4 year old.
I too shop Marshalls T J Max and Ross. But they take a while as you have to really spend tme looking through lots of racks. Our Marshalls has the best kids shoes. We go there first, I've bought Stride rite and Carters from there.
OR do what we did this year, go to UK on holiday and go nuts in Tesco Asda Marks and Spencers and Next.
M&S ships worldwide.

The Horticulturalist Sep 7th 2009 3:32 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 7909951)
One word: Target!

Ian

Yes indeedy! :) (now if only we had one in my small town)

I've bought school trousers from Old Navy, Walmart and Target, the Target ones last the longest.

I've found that the trousers from the Childrens place are poor quality, at least for a 7 year old boy. They've worn at the knee really quickly and are no better than walmart clothes but for twice the price.

It's hard to beat a 3 pack of white collared t-shirts from M&S for £4, I've found nothing here that matches that for quality or price, I think the walmart tees with a collar are $6 each.

Edit - you might like landsend.com they have great swimwear for adults and kids too.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 7th 2009 3:56 am

Target and Wally mart are the cheapest and they sell jeans but cheaper, and name brands too.

Old Navy, Gap, etc all pretty much have the same quality.

Clothes are made cheaply and not designed to last, can't personally tell any difference from Gap clothes from Target clothes.

Bob Sep 7th 2009 3:57 am

Toddlers and co?

Jaccardi, Janie and Jack, Carters, Childrens Place, Okami?, Hanna Anderson, Baby Gap, Gymboree (sp?).

Kids in general - Zara, J Crew, American Eagle, Old Navy, Abercrombie.

Load more choices for girls...anyway, where in CT are you? Bound to be a large outlook mall somewhere nearby to get better deals.

made of kent Sep 7th 2009 6:09 am

I notice you are,Connecticut and Canterbury so PF?? as employer?... screams out!? pm me. I will give you the low down, their are some good shops in Clinton, who the hell was you relocation person? I am in East Lyme.

made of kent Sep 7th 2009 6:41 am

Originally Posted by made of kent (Post 7910317)
I notice you are,Connecticut and Canterbury so PF?? as employer?... screams out!? pm me. I will give you the low down, their are some good shops in Clinton, who the hell was you relocation person? I am in East Lyme.

my kids (twins) are 4 if and yours are boys, if you buy from chains and you have older boys, can I have your cast offs? :)

made of kent Sep 7th 2009 6:49 am

Originally Posted by made of kent (Post 7910369)
my kids (twins) are 4 if and yours are boys, if you buy from chains and you have older boys, can I have your cast offs? :)

if was missing

buckers Sep 7th 2009 11:54 am

Hi

We love Gap for kids. Its cheaper than Gap in the UK aswell. We just completed our field trip over to DC the other week and spent even more in there preparing for the winter when we come over. From the various trips i have taken over the years over, i would say like everyone else, the malls are probably the best place to go looking.

nethead Sep 7th 2009 1:01 pm

As well as the above, you could also try OshKosh. I don't think you'll find anywhere that compares in quality or price to Next or Monsoon.

It also depends on the age of your child/ren, you can get quite nice baby, toddler clothes here, but older kids clothes are crap.

ian-mstm Sep 7th 2009 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist (Post 7910101)
Yes indeedy! :) (now if only we had one in my small town)

http://www.target.com/. :)

Ian

The Horticulturalist Sep 7th 2009 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 7911256)

Oh, that's dangerous....

Actually there's a supertarget an hour or so a way, so I get there sometimes. They have pataks tandoori marinade which makes great grilled chicken (mix with yoghurt)

They had talked about building one between the three towns where I live, but you know, the economy and all that.

Patrick Hasler Sep 7th 2009 4:27 pm

My missus uses the outlet malls, Oshkosh etc and finds really good stuff at really low prices, TJ Max is good also.

Look up your nearest outlets, I know I have passed some next to I-95 between New Haven and New London, I just cant remember exactly what exit, ?