Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Children And Long Haul Flights!

Children And Long Haul Flights!

Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Derbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really nice
Question Children And Long Haul Flights!

Hey people just a quick question for anyone,has Anyone had experience of a Long Haul flight to the states with young children?, ie. children under 3?.

I am going to Michigan for a visit soon Single parent got twins of 2 1/2 and another boy of 7.
Do u think i should just visit with my eldest?..... or it it just plane madness one parent and 3 kids on the plane?.........
Or would the airline offer plenty of help?.........
Any Help and Advice Very much appreciated!!!!.... Thanks folks..
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children And Long Haul Flights!

3 children on a plane with one adult - hmmmm......

I've done it with one baby and two adults, it was pure hell at times. But do have fun.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:07 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Derbys12
Hey people just a quick question for anyone,has Anyone had experience of a Long Haul flight to the states with young children?, ie. children under 3?.

I am going to Michigan for a visit soon Single parent got twins of 2 1/2 and another boy of 7.
Do u think i should just visit with my eldest?..... or it it just plane madness one parent and 3 kids on the plane?.........
the airline won't help you they may let you go on first and then if your child makes noise you get all the tuts from the ignorant passengers I took a 2 yr and 9 yr to England made sure they had plaenty to play and plenty of snacks never had a problem. if you are comfortable that your kids will sit and play the go ahead. but no the AIrline will not help.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:12 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

We flew with our 4 when our youngest was 8 weeks our eldest was 6. You need to have lots to occupy them or book a flight near bed time then they sleep. We are doing the flight to the UK this year and I am not looking forward to it we usually get the twunt who wants to whinge about kids all flight. We once had a grown man sat behind us with his fingers in his ears saying' nannanananananana'
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

best of luck, children and long haul flights just don't go together for my hubby
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
We once had a grown man sat behind us with his fingers in his ears saying' nannanananananana'
Don't you just want to reach back (or up) and give them a good smack?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think it all depends on how well behaved your children are. By that I mean will they sit there and play quietly, sleep, watch DVD'S or are they going to be screaming and running up and down the plane. If the former I would say yes make the visit, if the latter well I would give it a lot of thought.

If you make the trip make sure you take loads of things to keep them occupied, not toys that they are going to be banging on the tray as it is so annoying for the person sat in front.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmerLisa

lol that's whay my man says
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:22 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

I would guess your 7 year old would be a help really...keep the other two awake so they will just fall asleep on the plane good luck and enjoy your flight
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:23 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa

Errrr yes
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Children And Long Haul Flights!

you remember "The 'A' Team"...

"aint goin on no plane fooo"

"here, drink this milk BA"

... thud...

"lets get him on the plane"

Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

My only experience of flying with kids under 3 was when we had some tw@ts with a screaming baby in the cabin....the little dear screamed for the entire 8 hours non-stop. By the time we got to Miami I was ready to throw the parents and the kid out of the emergency exit.

Sorry.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:14 pm
Not dead yet

Originally Posted by USBound
you remember "The 'A' Team"...

"aint goin on no plane fooo"

"here, drink this milk BA"

... thud...

"lets get him on the plane"

You've been watching the same channel as me
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:16 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Long haul from where? The UK?

Going for a visit anywhere with kids is surely not much of a visit because you'll spend so much time keeping an eye on them and keeping them amused.

If you're considering taking the kids with you 'cos your visiting relatives, I think the seven year old is your best choice. He'd be able to walk on his own, go to the loo on his own, etc. He might even enjoy the flight.

As for the twins, if you have family/trustworthy good friends who could take care of them, I'd leave them on this occasion.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends on the airline....BA and Virgin are usually pretty good about letting the brats on first and the like...good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.