Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Children of L1 visa holder

Children of L1 visa holder

Old Feb 4th 2018, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

sue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Children of L1 visa holder

We are over here in LA on my husbands L1 visa, and will be here for at least another 3 years. Our eldest daughter is 17 this month, and naturally wants to learn to drive, but we’ve realised she may not be able to get a license without a SSN. Is this right?
Old Feb 4th 2018, 7:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children of L1 visa holder

Originally Posted by sue1973
We are over here in LA on my husbands L1 visa, and will be here for at least another 3 years. Our eldest daughter is 17 this month, and naturally wants to learn to drive, but we’ve realised she may not be able to get a license without a SSN. Is this right?
She should be able to get a letter from the social security administration stating that she is ineligible for a ss. Take that letter to the DVM along with the L-1 visa and she should be able to take the practical and driving test for her license.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 4th 2018 at 7:38 pm. Reason: corrected spelling
Old Feb 4th 2018, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

sue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond reputesue1973 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
She should be able to get a letter from the social security administrating stating that she is ineligible for a ss. Take that letter to the DVM along with the L-1 visa and she should be able to take the practical and driving test for her license.
Thank you, that’s really helpful 😊
Old Feb 4th 2018, 9:28 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Although not popular, the "AB60" drivers licenses may be available. These are issued regardless of immigration status or no SSN.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Feb 4th 2018 at 9:30 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 2:02 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Your daughter should be able to sign an affidavit stating she can not get a ssn. Ask specifically for this.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

rakirkpatrick is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter has just turned 18 and got her driving license last year (June) aged 17. She is also here on my L1 visa and we had no issues at all getting her a learners permit or final full licence.

We went to the local Social Security office and they will give you an official letter stating that she is not eligible for a SS No. You just present this with the DMV paperwork and all is good.

Not sure how long you have been here but you may also want to ask about an ITIN tax number for your daughter and any other person on the L1 visa who does not have a SS No. This caught us out the first year we did taxes and had to apply retrospectively. Its essentially a tax ID number that you place on your tax return form to allow for the claiming of dependants who do not have SS No's.

Good luck
Old Feb 6th 2018, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask why she wouldn't be eligible for a SSN?

My wife is here on my L1 and got her SSN on our second day on the ground along with me. Surely the same should apply to your daughter as she is on L2 just like my wife.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

rakirkpatrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my wife is able to get one through application for an EAD work permit but not my daughter.

I have been informed of that by both the lawyer who handled the L1 visa originally in 2014 and the social security office.

Green Card applications are underway now that will allow them both to get full SSN's.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 7:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Spouses can get a SSN and EAD. Children cannot.

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2018, 12:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rakirkpatrick
Green Card applications are underway now that will allow them both to get full SSN's.

There is no such thing as a partial SSN.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 12:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
There is no such thing as a partial SSN.
But there is such a thing as an SSN card stamped with "valid for work only with authorization", so I think you know what he meant!
Old Feb 7th 2018, 12:35 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But there is such a thing as an SSN card stamped with "valid for work only with authorization", so I think you know what he meant!
Actually, no, I didn't even think of that.