Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

children and greencards

children and greencards

Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold
Default children and greencards

Not sure whether this is the right forum or not, and not sure if i'm the only greencard holder in the US who didn't know this but quite by chance I've just found out that my 14 yr son, needs to renew his greencard so they can fingerprint him.He's 3 years into a 10 year card, the cost is $70 but if its not done within 30 days of his 14th birthsay theres an additional $190 charge.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: children and greencards

Why's that? Is it because he'll be 14 or because he's had his greencard for 3 years, or some random explanation?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

get it done soon, they'll soon be knocking the cost up on biometrics to $90 odd in the summer...
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Why's that? Is it because he'll be 14 or because he's had his greencard for 3 years, or some random explanation?
because he's 14..can't remember the reason why though.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
because he's 14..can't remember the reason why though.
Our daughter had to have her GC redone...it's either because under the age of 14 there is no photo or thumbprint on the GC...can't remember which one.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Its because he became 14, theres no fingerprints on cards before the age of 14 so thats what they want him to do, I had never heard of it so I'm glad it came to light within 30 days of his birthday or it would have been really costly.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
Its because he became 14, theres no fingerprints on cards before the age of 14 so thats what they want him to do, I had never heard of it so I'm glad it came to light within 30 days of his birthday or it would have been really costly.
I think when he reaches 16 he will require a new UK PP. When we came here in '96 my daughter had a new PP...it was only issued up to her 16th birthday. A new UK PP is almost $200...at least it was this time last year.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is sloghtly different but theres obv some thing about reaching the age of 14.

My eldest daughter got one of those new p/p prior to us moving here and she was finger printed at the entry gate whereas my 13 year old was not.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure whether this is the right forum or not, and not sure if i'm the only greencard holder in the US who didn't know this but quite by chance I've just found out that my 14 yr son, needs to renew his greencard so they can fingerprint him.He's 3 years into a 10 year card, the cost is $70 but if its not done within 30 days of his 14th birthsay theres an additional $190 charge.
fingerprinting is only 70$ I am not sure what the 190 is for??

i have 2 kids one under 14 the other over. Both had fingerprinting and photos taken, but only the one over 14 had to pay the additional cost of 70$
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That is correct. At age 14, one must be fingerprinted and endure the security clearance that every immigrant to the US has to go through. Also their print will be placed on their new card. The reasoning behind this is that as young adults at the age of 14 their facial features have matured enough not to change as quickly as when they were still "children" and their prints are easier to read.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think when he reaches 16 he will require a new UK PP. When we came here in '96 my daughter had a new PP...it was only issued up to her 16th birthday.
That definitely should not happen. UK passports issued for children under 16 are issued for 5 years. They should not expire on 16th birthday.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by JAJ
That definitely should not happen. UK passports issued for children under 16 are issued for 5 years. They should not expire on 16th birthday.
Maybe the dates were a coincedence...but she definitely had to have a new passport in May 2001.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

We've just filled out the forms tonight so got his old greencard out and it has his fingerprint on it so not sure what its all about now. He has changed a lot so maybe thats it but the biometric fee suggests it was about fingerprinting.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 10:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

We've just filled out the forms tonight so got his old greencard out and it has his fingerprint on it so not sure what its all about now. He has changed a lot so maybe thats it but the biometric fee suggests it was about fingerprinting.
Is there a photo of him on the GC?
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Is there a photo of him on the GC?

Yes and he obviously has changed a bit, do you think its just about that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.