British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   children and greencards (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/children-greencards-436265/)

geordiegirl2 Mar 21st 2007 7:32 pm

children and greencards

Not sure whether this is the right forum or not, and not sure if i'm the only greencard holder in the US who didn't know this but quite by chance I've just found out that my 14 yr son, needs to renew his greencard so they can fingerprint him.He's 3 years into a 10 year card, the cost is $70 but if its not done within 30 days of his 14th birthsay theres an additional $190 charge.

nethead Mar 21st 2007 8:29 pm

Re: children and greencards

Why's that? Is it because he'll be 14 or because he's had his greencard for 3 years, or some random explanation?

Bob Mar 21st 2007 8:30 pm

get it done soon, they'll soon be knocking the cost up on biometrics to $90 odd in the summer...

Bob Mar 21st 2007 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by nethead (Post 4543698)
Why's that? Is it because he'll be 14 or because he's had his greencard for 3 years, or some random explanation?

because he's 14..can't remember the reason why though.

Jerseygirl Mar 21st 2007 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4543709)
because he's 14..can't remember the reason why though.

Our daughter had to have her GC redone...it's either because under the age of 14 there is no photo or thumbprint on the GC...can't remember which one.

geordiegirl2 Mar 21st 2007 9:25 pm

Its because he became 14, theres no fingerprints on cards before the age of 14 so thats what they want him to do, I had never heard of it so I'm glad it came to light within 30 days of his birthday or it would have been really costly.

Jerseygirl Mar 21st 2007 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2 (Post 4543905)
Its because he became 14, theres no fingerprints on cards before the age of 14 so thats what they want him to do, I had never heard of it so I'm glad it came to light within 30 days of his birthday or it would have been really costly.

I think when he reaches 16 he will require a new UK PP. When we came here in '96 my daughter had a new PP...it was only issued up to her 16th birthday. A new UK PP is almost $200...at least it was this time last year.

loopylorns Mar 22nd 2007 12:02 pm

I know this is sloghtly different but theres obv some thing about reaching the age of 14.

My eldest daughter got one of those new p/p prior to us moving here and she was finger printed at the entry gate whereas my 13 year old was not.

Deedee13 Mar 22nd 2007 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2 (Post 4543473)
Not sure whether this is the right forum or not, and not sure if i'm the only greencard holder in the US who didn't know this but quite by chance I've just found out that my 14 yr son, needs to renew his greencard so they can fingerprint him.He's 3 years into a 10 year card, the cost is $70 but if its not done within 30 days of his 14th birthsay theres an additional $190 charge.

fingerprinting is only 70$ I am not sure what the 190 is for??

i have 2 kids one under 14 the other over. Both had fingerprinting and photos taken, but only the one over 14 had to pay the additional cost of 70$

Rete Mar 22nd 2007 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2 (Post 4543473)

That is correct. At age 14, one must be fingerprinted and endure the security clearance that every immigrant to the US has to go through. Also their print will be placed on their new card. The reasoning behind this is that as young adults at the age of 14 their facial features have matured enough not to change as quickly as when they were still "children" and their prints are easier to read.

JAJ Mar 23rd 2007 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4543918)
I think when he reaches 16 he will require a new UK PP. When we came here in '96 my daughter had a new PP...it was only issued up to her 16th birthday.

That definitely should not happen. UK passports issued for children under 16 are issued for 5 years. They should not expire on 16th birthday.

Jerseygirl Mar 23rd 2007 2:27 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 4549907)
That definitely should not happen. UK passports issued for children under 16 are issued for 5 years. They should not expire on 16th birthday.

Maybe the dates were a coincedence...but she definitely had to have a new passport in May 2001.

geordiegirl2 Mar 23rd 2007 4:35 am

We've just filled out the forms tonight so got his old greencard out and it has his fingerprint on it so not sure what its all about now. He has changed a lot so maybe thats it but the biometric fee suggests it was about fingerprinting.

Jerseygirl Mar 23rd 2007 10:52 am

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2 (Post 4550187)
We've just filled out the forms tonight so got his old greencard out and it has his fingerprint on it so not sure what its all about now. He has changed a lot so maybe thats it but the biometric fee suggests it was about fingerprinting.

Is there a photo of him on the GC?

geordiegirl2 Mar 23rd 2007 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4551022)
Is there a photo of him on the GC?

Yes and he obviously has changed a bit, do you think its just about that?