Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Child with dual citizenship but no Brit passport

Child with dual citizenship but no Brit passport

Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Werrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the rough
Default Child with dual citizenship but no Brit passport

First off...hi. Just found the forum while looking for answers to this question, and I think I'll stay a while

So, I have a fifteen-month-old sprog with dual nationality, born in Britain to an American mother. He has a US passport, but no British passport yet, because we haven't needed one. We've just been invited back to Britain for Christmas, and we can't afford both the passport and the tickets at the same time. Is there any problem with taking him into Britain on his American passport?

Thanks, all,

Werrf
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child with dual citizenship but no Brit passport

There is no problem entering the UK on a US passport.

Are you sure he is a UK citizen, too? Unlike the US, being born in Britain does not confer citizenship.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Werrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by fatbrit
There is no problem entering the UK on a US passport.
Thanks - I didn't think there'd be a problem, but it's always worth checking first!
Are you sure he is a UK citizen, too? Unlike the US, being born in Britain does not confer citizenship.
I am a British citizen, married to an American. He was born in Chichester hospital, got his birth certificate in Horsham...the only reason he doesn't have a British passport yet is my wife keeps putting it off because of the expense!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Werrf
Thanks - I didn't think there'd be a problem, but it's always worth checking first!

I am a British citizen, married to an American. He was born in Chichester hospital, got his birth certificate in Horsham...the only reason he doesn't have a British passport yet is my wife keeps putting it off because of the expense!
Place of birth is not a primary factor in British citizenship. You being a Brit is.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest getting your son a British passport sooner rather than later only because the cost of getting one will only get more expensive.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celsius
I would suggest getting your son a British passport sooner rather than later only because the cost of getting one will only get more expensive.
Yes, I think it'll end up being his christmas present from Grandma this year. Still, I doubt it'll get to him in time for this trip.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 6:23 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think it'll end up being his christmas present from Grandma this year. Still, I doubt it'll get to him in time for this trip.
you could always get it done when you go to the UK for xmas (one day service), yes I know it costs extra but you go first thing in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon, we did this for our daughter when we went home, (we needed to renew as her old picture looked nothing like her). We dropped the application off in the morning at Liverpool Passport office and picked up her new one at 2pm....we just spent the day having a walk round and seeing the sights..
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Unless of course you never use it until it needs renewing....especially as far as I know babies need theirs renewing in 5 years due to changing appearance so much.

Our daughter is the same (but born in the US). She only has a US passport at the minute. Been to UK twice. Will get her a UK onewhen there becomes a reason to do so, but don't really see the point at the minute. She's no less British without a passport and the US one works just fine for trips to the UK.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dan725
Our daughter is the same (but born in the US). She only has a US passport at the minute. Been to UK twice. Will get her a UK onewhen there becomes a reason to do so, but don't really see the point at the minute. She's no less British without a passport and the US one works just fine for trips to the UK.
Heh - Grandmother keeps watching these Discovery channel scare-stories about supervolcanoes under Yellowstone Park, and being so worried that if he doesn't have a British passport, he couldn't be evacuated back home 'when' it all hits the fan
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be that your child doesn't need a UK passport until he's a lot older and liable to want to travel on his own, travel to continental Europe, etc. It seems to me to be a needless expense to maintain two passports when you're a young child always travelling with one or more parents.

My son (in a similar situation) only got the UK passport when a college student, and went to France for his junior year.. with the UK passport he obviously didn't need a French visa, while as an American he would have.

Robin
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Unless of course you never use it until it needs renewing....especially as far as I know babies need theirs renewing in 5 years due to changing appearance so much.

handy proof of citizenship though unless you've got a consulate birth cert...less hassle to get in the event you folks carp it...
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Place of birth is not a primary factor in British citizenship. You being a Brit is.
Place of birth is a primary factor. Citizenship rules for children born in the U.K. are very different compared to those for children born outside the U.K.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

In that case your child is definitely a British citizen. It is important to at least get him a first British passport so that his details are "in the system". Since 1983, a U.K. birth certificate is not proof in itself of British citizenship.

Child can visit Britain for a vacation on an American passport.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. Out of interest, how would it work for future children born in the US? Would they get citizenship?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

Thanks. Out of interest, how would it work for future children born in the US? Would they get citizenship?
Yes (under current law) - because your child was born in the U.K.

If you have other children born in the U.S. then these children may not be able to pass on their British citizenship so easily. Again - under current law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.