Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Child born in UK from US spouse

Child born in UK from US spouse

Old Nov 30th 2007, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Mariaslk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child born in UK from US spouse

I am married to a US citizen and whilst waiting for my immigration petition to be filed I may end up having the baby in the UK. Will the child be a US or UK citizen. Or can we register in both countries. Would like it to have a US and UK passport. What do we have to do. Sorry, just planning ahead!
Old Nov 30th 2007, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child born in UK from US spouse

You should have your child's birth registered at the US consulate as the child of a US citizen born abroad. The UK passport should be no problem if your child is born in the UK and you yourself are a UK citizen.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you are British, your child can have 2 passports. Just apply for the UK passport and then apply for the US passport when you do the consular report of birth abroad.

I did this very thing, and my 6-month is the proud owner of a US and UK passport, with the same equally ridiculous photo
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Assuming you are British, your child can have 2 passports. Just apply for the UK passport and then apply for the US passport when you do the consular report of birth abroad.

I did this very thing, and my 6-month is the proud owner of a US and UK passport, with the same equally ridiculous photo

Also assuming that you have the right to pass along your US Citizenship to a child not born on US soil.