Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Child-Birth classes - help a nervous man here!.

Wikiposts

Child-Birth classes - help a nervous man here!.

Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:08 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Child-Birth classes - help a nervous man here!.

Well folks, with only 7 weeks to go, Mr and Mrs M went to childbirth classes yesterday. Gone are my illusions of Mrs M having some slight discomfort and no mess - in came lectures of blood, bowel movements and hours of agony.. (how attractive)

This is a first for me - is it really as bad as i'm thinking??? We watched 3 videos of babies being born, and now im a big advocate of Caesareans!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:13 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child-Birth classes - help a nervous man here!.

Originally Posted by CarlM
Well folks, with only 7 weeks to go, Mr and Mrs M went to childbirth classes yesterday. Gone are my illusions of Mrs M having some slight discomfort and no mess - in came lectures of blood, bowel movements and hours of agony.. (how attractive)

This is a first for me - is it really as bad as i'm thinking??? We watched 3 videos of babies being born, and now im a big advocate of Caesareans!

You're gonna cry like a little girl.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter what you're thinking. It's your wife who's going to be the one who'll need the support.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:15 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

You already did your part. Drop her off then, wait in the local
pub until she needs a ride home.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:15 am

Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Celsius
It doesn't matter what you're thinking. It's your wife who's going to be the one who'll need the support.

Thank you for taking the words out of my mouth!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:16 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

NO, it isn't as bad as you are thinking.

If you're in the delivery room, and your wife is delivering vaginally, you'll be up by her head and supporting her head, neck, back as she pushes. You won't be able to see any blood/bowel movements/etc unless you look or look in a mirror. Besides, *usually* those things are signs of progress -- that the pushing is effective -- and you'll be relieved of that. (The blood usually comes from tiny blood vessels bursting under pressure, the same as causes a bruise, and it really doesn't hurt).

As to "hours of agony" -- it's more like hours of exhausting effort. The actual pain varies from woman to woman, and whether she decides to have anaesthesia. I have heard that induced births cause more painful contractions than spontaneous births, but it's hard to know because both of mine were induced.

While a c-section may seem to reduce the amount of work beforehand, it increases blood loss and recovery afterwards. It's far more painful afterwards, they usually take the baby for observation, etc. While sometimes medically necessary it shouldn't be used to "minimise" the amount of work beforehand as the process of going through the birth canal helps the baby's lungs work better after birth (squeezes a lot of the gunk out). It's also a less abrupt transition for both mother and baby to have a vaginal delivery.

I guess I looked at it this way: there wasn't any way to change my mind, the baby was going to have to come out some how!
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I watched my 1st son being born 1973 UK, back then was not that popular for husbands to be in the room. The guy in the room next to ours passed out on the floor, eventually the nurse led him out on his hands and knee's (This is true stuff), turned out he was a cop. Hope he got better at it, on the job.
Reg. Frank R.
Breaka leg, hope all goes well for the 3 (or 4 /5) of u.
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evoal2003
You already did your part. Drop her off then, wait in the local
pub until she needs a ride home.
I gave the nurses the number of the pub.. not sure theres much else i can do..
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:28 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

As an expectant Mum who knows she will be having a c.section, don't assume it's the easy way out, my OH will be cleaning and being a taxi driver for weeks, and boy will I milk it
Come on man, give your wife some support, she will be doing the hard work!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:29 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing about natural childbirth but I've watched both of my two kids born by Cesarean (note the spelling). It's a startlingly literal/low tech procedure: they cut your beloved open and pull out a baby. I know it sounds obvious, but the impact of seeing it happen right in front of you to people you love is simply indescribable.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:33 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

in came lectures of blood, bowel movements and hours of agony.. (how attractive)
Yep, it's worse for the mother though
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:33 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

You might be a big advocate of cesarians but your wife probably won't be, been there once, can't say that I want to go for a second time!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:34 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I know nothing about natural childbirth but I've watched both of my two kids born by Cesarean (note the spelling). It's a startlingly literal/low tech procedure: they cut your beloved open and pull out a baby. I know it sounds obvious, but the impact of seeing it happen right in front of you to people you love is simply indescribable.
Yeah, they cut every single layer and have to be careful to NOT nick or cut the bladder or bowel. It's highly invasive abdominal surgery, and just because it goes right most of the time doesn't make it any less invasive. In fact, because of the size of the incision needed (6") and the fact that most surgery these days uses microscopes and endoscopy, you could have just about any abdominal procedure done and it would be less cutting going on than with a c-section.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:35 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Yeah, they cut every single layer and have to be careful to NOT nick or cut the bladder or bowel. It's highly invasive abdominal surgery, and just because it goes right most of the time doesn't make it any less invasive. In fact, because of the size of the incision needed (6") and the fact that most surgery these days uses microscopes and endoscopy, you could have just about any abdominal procedure done and it would be less cutting going on than with a c-section.
Thank you Doctor Snowbunny
Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:36 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
They actually tear the muscle and not cut, this makes for better healing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.