Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chicago - whats it like living there?

Chicago - whats it like living there?

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:54 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago - whats it like living there?

Originally Posted by Terrier
Never had that problem since I moved here to be honest.
neither have I, lived in Indy and North VA as well as Seattle. and not one person has asked me to go to church or thrust religion down my throat.
Now baseball and US football different matter! That is the most annoying thing and when you tell them you're not interested it doesn't seem to matter to them, and going round to people's homes where you have to keep quiet cause the game's on AAAHHH.
Why people get het up about someone asking them to go to church and not about getting your head pounded by sports I'll never know!
(though you're other post had weird religous koots on it!)

Last edited by Irn-bru; Oct 24th 2006 at 12:15 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
neither have I, lived in Indy and North VA as well as Seattle. and not one person has asked me to go to church or thrust religion down my throat.
Now baseball and US football different matter! That is the most annoying thing and when you tell them you're not interested it doesn't seem to matter to them, and going round to people's homes where you have to keep quiet cause the game's on AAAHHH.
Why people get het up about someone asking them to go to church and not about getting your head pounded by sports I'll never know!
(though you're other post had weird religous koots on it!)

It was 12 yrs ago...so it may have changed. A realtor almost bungled us in her car late one Sunday afternoon...in a bid to reform us.

We get annoyed about the obsession with sport too.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:02 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

A realtor almost bungled us in her car late one Sunday afternoon...in a bid to reform us.
tell me more ...
I must have lived a very sheltered life nothing like this ever happens to me!

Last edited by Irn-bru; Oct 24th 2006 at 12:11 am.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:10 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I never lived there, but I noticed that about St Louis as well, don't know what it was, just soulless.
It seems pretty small too - the town centre is tiny but then again maybe all the action was happening just round the corner from me
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:13 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
It seems pretty small too - the town centre is tiny but then again maybe all the action was happening just round the corner from me
We stayed at the old Railway Terminal Hotel, can't remember the name Been in the basement of the Gateway Arch though, Mr Crap Tourist me.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:15 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
ok I read through all of this..

my family and I are thinking about moving from LA up towards Hoffman Estates... I have the chance of a VERY good job up there..

what pitfalls should I be aware of in that area?

we're aware of..

1. snow, lots of it
2. relatively high house prices (relatively compared to LA.. )

thanks

andy
Hoffman Estates ???
Jaysus :scared:
I actually live just down the road so if you have any questions shoot me a pm. It kind of sucks being so far away from the city but the trains are pretty good. No shortage of restaurants, etc nearby but I have to confess that I rarely head out in the 'burbs.
Downtown is awesome - would love to live in the city.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:18 am
Thinking about it

We stayed at the old Railway Terminal Hotel, can't remember the name Been in the basement of the Gateway Arch though, Mr Crap Tourist me.
Did you not take the lift to the top of the Arch - it was pretty cool - saw all the robotic indians in the basement too ??
Stayed in a hotel facing the arch and got a room with a balcony overlooking it - only stayed 1 night on the way to Memphis.
The town was dead as hector.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:21 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Did you not take the lift to the top of the Arch - it was pretty cool - saw all the robotic indians in the basement too ??
Stayed in a hotel facing the arch and got a room with a balcony overlooking it - only stayed 1 night on the way to Memphis.
The town was dead as hector.
I never did, it looked a bit rickety I'm more a ground type person. The Mississippi was nice though.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:28 am
Thinking about it

I never did, it looked a bit rickety I'm more a ground type person. The Mississippi was nice though.
Prob wouldn't be the spot for you if you're claustrophobic.
If the lift broke down you would be f-ecked - beyond cramped and about 6ft high ceilings
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Hoffman Estates ???
I actually live just down the road so if you have any questions shoot me a pm. It kind of sucks being so far away from the city but the trains are pretty good. No shortage of restaurants, etc nearby but I have to confess that I rarely head out in the 'burbs.
we're not really big city people, looking mainly for a better area for the kids, a house for less than $4.5k/month and maybe even see some none cultivated greenery :-P.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:52 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by USBound
we're not really big city people, looking mainly for a better area for the kids, a house for less than $4.5k/month and maybe even see some none cultivated greenery :-P.
Sorry - you are prepared to pay $4.5k a month in rent ???
Who have you been talking to re house prices ??
You could rent a beach front condo in the city for that - you'll get a bloody mansion in the 'burbs (that's about 5 times what I pay for a 2 bed townhouse).
I assume the rent will be paid for as part of your package or something.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

Hoffman Estates is OK. I repeat - fairly bland/conservative suburbs. No problem with schools, Woodfield Mall ( one of worlds largest), decent restaurants and recreational facilities. Good place to raise kids - lots of programs for them in sports, arts etc. Was a good outdoor concert venue there for big name entertainers back in 1980 - still there I expect. If you can work close by , I would say it could work very well for you and your family. It's even a fairly short trip to O'Hare from there. As to housing costs, I think you'll get more for your money than in LA. I can make a referral for you if you wish. We have Realty partners all over.
David R

my family and I are thinking about moving from LA up towards Hoffman Estates... I have the chance of a VERY good job up there..

what pitfalls should I be aware of in that area?

we're aware of..

1. snow, lots of it
2. relatively high house prices (relatively compared to LA.. )

thanks

andy[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 24th 2006, 1:33 am
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold

Hoffman Estates ???
H.E. is kind of bland I think. City is the way to go, if the wife would live there I would be there in a HB.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 1:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Terrier
H.E. is kind of bland I think. City is the way to go, if the wife would live there I would be there in a HB.
I agree but not if you have kids and USBound has.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 1:52 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Naperville: You couldn't pay me to live there. Everyone is pretty much "expected" to go to church. Like I said earlier in this thread, it doesn't have a homeless problem - they scoop up the few they find and plop them in other suburbs. It's exceedingly white, exceedingly right wing (Dubya loves it there), and the county assessments on houses are through the bloody roof, thanks to building "superb" schools like Nequa Valley, for a cool $60M some years ago. I put "superb" in quotes as they fudge their stats, make it look better than it is. All the kids get expensive cars for their 16th birthdays. Well maybe not *all*, but they sure do like to keep up with the Joneses.

You also couldn't pay me to live in Wheaton. Two big reasons: Billy Graham Bible College and it's dry, no alcohol for sale there unless they're grandfathered in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.