Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chicago Weekend

Chicago Weekend

Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:20 pm
  #1  
roamin in the gloamin
Thread Starter
 
clydegirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,400
clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chicago Weekend

Coming up to Chicago this weekend.Oldest is going to visit Loyola she wants to go there next year :scared: Anyway would like suggestions on what to do with my youngest who is 9.We are staying near Navy Pier.I have already looked at trip advisor and other web sites.Just wanted some ideas from the Chicago ex-pats.Any restaurants we should try getting into?
clydegirl is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:53 pm
  #2  
Senior Moment
 
Sarah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,007
Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago Weekend

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Coming up to Chicago this weekend.Oldest is going to visit Loyola she wants to go there next year :scared: Anyway would like suggestions on what to do with my youngest who is 9.We are staying near Navy Pier.I have already looked at trip advisor and other web sites.Just wanted some ideas from the Chicago ex-pats.Any restaurants we should try getting into?

Giordano's is the most famous restaurant, specialising in chicago pizza. Expect a long wait though. Navy Pier is good for the kids. Theres also a couple of good British pubs, The Red Lion and The Elephant and Castle which do great pub food. The Magnificient Mile is the main part of the city, good shopping, Marshall Fields etc.

Last time me and the husband went to Chicago, we got panhandled constantly. Had one woman running down Michigan Ave after me yelling, "F--k you, you white bitch!" After I refused to give her any money, strangest thing is that she was white aswell. Another guy I ended up giving $30 to just to leave me alone. Its when they start putting their hands on me I don't like it and get a bit stressed.

Go up the John Hancock Tower thats pretty cool.
Have a great time, (don't let what I said put you off.)
Say hello to Oprah for me!
Sarah is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2005, 12:04 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: the wrong place
Posts: 892
psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago Weekend

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Coming up to Chicago this weekend.Oldest is going to visit Loyola she wants to go there next year :scared: Anyway would like suggestions on what to do with my youngest who is 9.We are staying near Navy Pier.I have already looked at trip advisor and other web sites.Just wanted some ideas from the Chicago ex-pats.Any restaurants we should try getting into?

go on the bus tour around the city it's very good....go up the sears building.....can't remember the resturante that we went to but had the best steak I ever had in my life......there is also a resturante I belive it is something connected with blues music a memorabilia place...really good......and btw it's very very windy as they say so take plenty of layers.......the cabbys in general are very good too ....have a good time it's a great city
psb182 is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2005, 2:30 am
  #4  
roamin in the gloamin
Thread Starter
 
clydegirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,400
clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago Weekend

Originally Posted by Sarah
Giordano's is the most famous restaurant, specialising in chicago pizza. Expect a long wait though. Navy Pier is good for the kids. Theres also a couple of good British pubs, The Red Lion and The Elephant and Castle which do great pub food. The Magnificient Mile is the main part of the city, good shopping, Marshall Fields etc.

Last time me and the husband went to Chicago, we got panhandled constantly. Had one woman running down Michigan Ave after me yelling, "F--k you, you white bitch!" After I refused to give her any money, strangest thing is that she was white aswell. Another guy I ended up giving $30 to just to leave me alone. Its when they start putting their hands on me I don't like it and get a bit stressed.

Go up the John Hancock Tower thats pretty cool.
Have a great time, (don't let what I said put you off.)
Say hello to Oprah for me!
Well thanks for that I'm actually looking forward to it.Tried to karma but have to spread it around.
clydegirl is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2005, 2:33 am
  #5  
roamin in the gloamin
Thread Starter
 
clydegirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,400
clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago Weekend

Originally Posted by psb182
go on the bus tour around the city it's very good....go up the sears building.....can't remember the resturante that we went to but had the best steak I ever had in my life......there is also a resturante I belive it is something connected with blues music a memorabilia place...really good......and btw it's very very windy as they say so take plenty of layers.......the cabbys in general are very good too ....have a good time it's a great city
Thanks for the ideas never thought about taking a bus tour.Might keep away the panhandlers if I do it that way.Karma sent.
clydegirl is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2005, 4:41 am
  #6  
Senior Moment
 
Sarah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,007
Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago Weekend

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Well thanks for that I'm actually looking forward to it.Tried to karma but have to spread it around.

Its the thought that counts
Sarah is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2005, 5:34 am
  #7  
Ray
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 68,280
Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago Weekend

Originally Posted by Sarah
thing is that she was white aswell. Another guy I ended up giving $30 to just to leave me alone. Its when they start putting their hands on me I don't like it and get a bit stressed.
A dollars worth of oleoresin capsicum in their face could be a cheaper method ...
Ray is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2005, 8:29 am
  #8  
Senior Moment
 
Sarah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,007
Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago Weekend

Originally Posted by Ray
A dollars worth of oleoresin capsicum in their face could be a cheaper method ...

capsicum as in a bell pepper?
Sarah is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2005, 12:10 pm
  #9  
Ray
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 68,280
Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago Weekend

Originally Posted by Sarah
capsicum as in a bell pepper?
Just your basic pepper spray or better the triple action..
http://www.safetygearhq.com/tripleaction.htm
Ray is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2005, 12:42 pm
  #10  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 53,724
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago Weekend

Originally Posted by Sarah
Another guy I ended up giving $30 to just to leave me alone.

If you give me $30 I'll promise to leave you alone too.

Seriously, you need to practice The Look. After spending many summers in France as a teenager fending off Frenchmen, freezing off the unwelcome hands of a Chicagoan is nothing.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2005, 12:43 pm
  #11  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 53,724
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago Weekend

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Coming up to Chicago this weekend.Oldest is going to visit Loyola she wants to go there next year :scared: Anyway would like suggestions on what to do with my youngest who is 9.We are staying near Navy Pier.I have already looked at trip advisor and other web sites.Just wanted some ideas from the Chicago ex-pats.Any restaurants we should try getting into?

The John Hancock is good, as already mentioned.

The Lincoln Park Zoo is a reasonable taxi ride up Lake Shore Drive, if you like that sort of thing. Navy Pier is good for kids but expensive.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:04 pm
  #12  
I approved this message
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,265
Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago Weekend

1. Avoid Navy Pier like the plague, it's a tourist trap that no one from Chicago would get caught dead in.
2. Go to the Art Institute, if you have even the faintest interest in art it will blow your mind. I think it's on par with the Met in New York. Its collections of Impressionist, Renaissance and Modern art are some of the best in the world.
3. Animals: go to the Shedd Aquarium, it's one of the best in the country. make sure you get tickets to all of the areas (including Wild Reef and the dolphin show). Barring that, go to the Lincoln Park Zoo (if you like Zoos) which is right in the city and free. My kids and I love it.
4. Shopping: definitely hit the Magnificent Mile. You'll never see a more ridiculous display of commercialism. For better deals, head to Oakbrook Center, a huge outdoor mall in the Burbs. It's probably the best mall in Chicagoland. If you're willing to venture out further, take route 88 out to the Aurora Premium Outlets which are great.
5. Architecture: take one of the Architecture tours, either the walking one in the loop or the boat ride. Both are fantastic. Chicago is a beautiful city.
6. General stuff: walk along the lakefront at Oak Street beach (if it's not too cold), definitely hit Millenium Park (it's incredible), head up to Wrigleyville to get a nice sense of a young, hip Chicago neighborhood, hit Devon street to see how diverse a city it is, get a drink in the Hancock tower Signature Room (don't pay for the observation deck), head down to the Robie House in Hyde Park or Oak Park to soak up some Frank Lloyd Wright goodness, etc, etc.
7. Food: definitely get a Portillo's hot dog. You haven't had a hot dog until you've had one. Houston's restaurant off of the Mg Mile is a good traditional American place to stop for lunch. For more expensive fare, Saltaus in the warehouse district looks amazing, Everest in the loop may be the most romantic restaurant in Chicago, Charlie Trotters may be the best restaurant in the country (honest). There's tons of good sushi places, I like Kamahachi and Agami. Go to the Chicago Chop House for insane steaks. Fracesca's Forno has been getting raves, it's a new casual Italian place. Greektown's OK but a little touristy, I'd head a little further north to Randolph, there's a great restaurant row there. Frontera Grill and Topalabampo are tweo of the best Mexican restaurants in the country (honest) but don't take reservations, definitely worth the wait, though. Google Chicago metromix for more, Chicago has thousands of restaurants. Avoid the standard chains at all costs.
8. Beer and cocktails: Chicago has many great local beers and thousands (literally) of good bars. You can find most of these beers in local bars and markets: Two Brothers (I recommend the Domain Dupage French-style ale), Goose Island (they make a great Oktoberfest), Prairie Rock, Great Lakes, Three Floyds, Capital Brewery etc are all terrific and hard to find outside of the midwest. I recommend the Duke of Perth in Wrigleyville (it's a Scottish pub with genuine ambiance and tons of great hand-pumped ales), Poitin Stil is a great new Irish pub, Luxbar and Landmark are two very cool upscale places to be seen. Chicago is a drinking town. Make sure you imbibe.


It's a great city, my personal favorite in the US. Enjoy!
Hiro11 is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:07 pm
  #13  
roamin in the gloamin
Thread Starter
 
clydegirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,400
clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago Weekend

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
The John Hancock is good, as already mentioned.

The Lincoln Park Zoo is a reasonable taxi ride up Lake Shore Drive, if you like that sort of thing. Navy Pier is good for kids but expensive.
Also heard that the aquarium is good.Is it easy to get around on foot?Planning to do a lot of walking.Are things well sign posted?
clydegirl is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:08 pm
  #14  
Mr. Grumpy
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,100
BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago Weekend

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
The John Hancock is good, as already mentioned.

The Lincoln Park Zoo is a reasonable taxi ride up Lake Shore Drive, if you like that sort of thing. Navy Pier is good for kids but expensive.

Hancock is cool - the bat/restaurant is called the signature room

if you like steak then go to gibsons, not cheap but good food
BritGuyTN is offline  
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:13 pm
  #15  
roamin in the gloamin
Thread Starter
 
clydegirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,400
clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago Weekend

Originally Posted by Hiro11
1. Avoid Navy Pier like the plague, it's a tourist trap that no one from Chicago would get caught dead in.
2. Go to the Art Institute, if you have even the faintest interest in art it will blow your mind. I think it's on par with the Met in New York. Its collections of Impressionist, Renaissance and Modern art are some of the best in the world.
3. Animals: go to the Shedd Aquarium, it's one of the best in the country. make sure you get tickets to all of the areas (including Wild Reef and the dolphin show). Barring that, go to the Lincoln Park Zoo (if you like Zoos) which is right in the city and free. My kids and I love it.
4. Shopping: definitely hit the Magnificent Mile. You'll never see a more ridiculous display of commercialism. For better deals, head to Oakbrook Center, a huge outdoor mall in the Burbs. It's probably the best mall in Chicagoland. If you're willing to venture out further, take route 88 out to the Aurora Premium Outlets which are great.
5. Architecture: take one of the Architecture tours, either the walking one in the loop or the boat ride. Both are fantastic. Chicago is a beautiful city.
6. General stuff: walk along the lakefront at Oak Street beach (if it's not too cold), definitely hit Millenium Park (it's incredible), head up to Wrigleyville to get a nice sense of a young, hip Chicago neighborhood, hit Devon street to see how diverse a city it is, get a drink in the Hancock tower Signature Room (don't pay for the observation deck), head down to the Robie House in Hyde Park or Oak Park to soak up some Frank Lloyd Wright goodness, etc, etc.
7. Food: definitely get a Portillo's hot dog. You haven't had a hot dog until you've had one. Houston's restaurant off of the Mg Mile is a good traditional American place to stop for lunch. For more expensive fare, Saltaus in the warehouse district looks amazing, Everest in the loop may be the most romantic restaurant in Chicago, Charlie Trotters may be the best restaurant in the country (honest). There's tons of good sushi places, I like Kamahachi and Agami. Go to the Chicago Chop House for insane steaks. Fracesca's Forno has been getting raves, it's a new casual Italian place. Greektown's OK but a little touristy, I'd head a little further north to Randolph, there's a great restaurant row there. Frontera Grill and Topalabampo are tweo of the best Mexican restaurants in the country (honest) but don't take reservations, definitely worth the wait, though. Google Chicago metromix for more, Chicago has thousands of restaurants. Avoid the standard chains at all costs.
8. Beer and cocktails: Chicago has many great local beers and thousands (literally) of good bars. You can find most of these beers in local bars and markets: Two Brothers (I recommend the Domain Dupage French-style ale), Goose Island (they make a great Oktoberfest), Prairie Rock, Great Lakes, Three Floyds, Capital Brewery etc are all terrific and hard to find outside of the midwest. I recommend the Duke of Perth in Wrigleyville (it's a Scottish pub with genuine ambiance and tons of great hand-pumped ales), Poitin Stil is a great new Irish pub, Luxbar and Landmark are two very cool upscale places to be seen. Chicago is a drinking town. Make sure you imbibe.


It's a great city, my personal favorite in the US. Enjoy!
Wow great ideas.I'm spoilt for choice.Will definetly have to imbibe and stay away from Navy Pier.
clydegirl is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.