Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chicago or Perth equals too man choices

Wikiposts

Chicago or Perth equals too man choices

Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:40 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago or Perth equals too man choices

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I'll third it

Well that officially makes a clueless triumvirate!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:42 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

First time I've heard Chicago compared to England, granted all they saw was the airport, so maybe it was the Starbucks that gave them that idea

Well all I've ever seen in Chicago is the airport myself. But does spending 5 hours there count as a visit?
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeilB
Wow, now I'm really confused.

The thoughts change from Oz (maybe for a year or two, the dream place was Christchurch but could work on that once over in Oz) to the USA every 5 minutes.

I like the idea of the beach life for a while but would sure miss the UK (in places). But a swinging factor is I’ve cousins in Perth and sister plus family in NZ.

The converse is also true, settle in the Chicago area but until I get the company card (Diners) the travel would be an issue along with the working ethos.

Would I be right in thinking that the USA work ethic is rather more removed from the UK and that of Oz, namely far more 24/7 like?

I guess all in all, we could move over, rent, save some cash then decide if it’s for us or to relocate to NZ?

Cheers,

Neil

Well we do have a beach, on the glorious shores of Lake Michigan. Of course it's frozen over from December to March, and the beaches are frequently closed in the summer when the torrential rains cause untreated sewage to overflow from the sewer system into the Lake. Not that I want to put you off or anything

People do tend to work long hours here - the holiday allowances are miserable compared to Europe. 2 - 4 weeks for most. Don't know which system you would be on.

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Well all I've ever seen in Chicago is the airport myself. But does spending 5 hours there count as a visit?
Probably not

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Of course. Did you go to the Hilton bar? It's a Chicago must.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:44 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Well we do have a beach, on the glorious shores of Lake Michigan. Of course it's frozen over from December to March, and the beaches are frequently closed in the summer when the torrential rains cause untreated sewage to overflow from the sewer system into the Lake. Not that I want to put you off or anything

People do tend to work long hours here - the holiday allowances are miserable compared to Europe. 2 - 4 weeks for most. Don't know which system you would be on.
And lets not forget the fresh Lake Michigan tap water
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:46 pm
Sursum corda

Of course. Did you go to the Hilton bar? It's a Chicago must.

No, this was in August when we got diverted there instead of Atlanta. We just kind of hung out, going back and forth through security checks.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:47 pm

And lets not forget the fresh Lake Michigan tap water
With that lovely taste of algae/pond weed in the summer. And to think people pay good money in health food stores to buy algae.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:48 pm

No, this was in August when we got diverted there instead of Atlanta. We just kind of hung out, going back and forth through security checks.
Well that is a time-honoured O'Hare tradition. You can make the experience a bit more lively by ducking under the ropes occasionally.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:52 pm

I can't help thinking the OP is going to have a hard time choosing between Perth and Chicago, like chalk and cheese I should think, not that I've been to Perth mind.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:54 pm

I can't help thinking the OP is going to have a hard time choosing between Perth and Chicago, like chalk and cheese I should think, not that I've been to Perth mind.

Well a quick visit to the airport should be enough to give you a fair idea of the place.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:02 am

Well a quick visit to the airport should be enough to give you a fair idea of the place.
Seems like a long flight just to grab a Starbucks
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:06 am

Seems like a long flight just to grab a Starbucks
Perhaps it has its own distinctive flavour there? Roo-shaped stirrers maybe?
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:26 am

Perhaps it has its own distinctive flavour there? Roo-shaped stirrers maybe?
That would be worth the trip then
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:41 am
Sursum corda

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.