Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chicago or Perth equals too man choices

Wikiposts

Chicago or Perth equals too man choices

Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:19 pm
Grumpy Member

y2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to all
Default Re: Chicago or Perth equals too man choices

I've been to Perth for a while, but I've only been to Chicago airport.

Perth is beautiful, in terms of climate, it is the sunniest place in Oz. I'd say it was quite laid back and modern. I loved it there, much better than Sydney or Brisbane IMHO. I was a tourist so I can't comment on living there although the bbc website compared the cost of living in the UK to Oz not so long ago, sorry to be lazy, but the page is out there somewhere.

I'll echo what others have said, living in Oz, is a long, long way from existing friends and family. Having them fly out is not a day trip and takes a fair bit of financial and time commitment. You might get lonely if you are a family type person I guess.

You might wanna look on some Oz expats website for more info about living there.

Personally I think Chicago *sounds* too much like England to warrant moving.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:09 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by y2b4sure
as you've only been to the airport, I'd say it was similar to Heathrow in respect that planes land and take off yes.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Manc
as you've only been to the airport, I'd say it was similar to Heathrow in respect that planes land and take off yes.
Does Chicago still have the gansters in black charabancs roaming round firing tommy guns at each other? That would make it a bit like Moss Side.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:13 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Does Chicago still have the gansters in black charabancs roaming round firing tommy guns at each other? That would make it a bit like Moss Side.
Chicago's a lot nicer than Moss Side.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Chicago's a lot nicer than Moss Side.
Ive never been to Chicago but I used to drive up the Princess Parkway past Moss Side every day for 3 years...never stopped for a single red light in the entire time. I value my tires, car and life.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:02 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago or Perth equals too many choices

Originally Posted by Sarah
To be honest mate I wouldn't go to either. Chicago is a great big city in the midwest and Perth is a great big city in the middle of a dessert. I would've plumped for New Zealand, shame that fell through.
PMSL!!!! well I'm sure that's cheered him right up!!!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I would live in Downtown Chicago in a heartbeat, I visit there as often as I can. Its far more sophisticated than most of the Mid West. As for Oz I wouldn't consider a move there I've never lived there but have spent 3 months touring around that was enough for me. It does seem from reading the Oz forum that Perth is the city that most Brits end up moving back to the UK from.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:10 pm
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold

At least if you want to get out of Chicago for the day you can go to Milwaukee.

Or Gary.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

At least if you want to get out of Chicago for the day you can go to Milwaukee.

Hey! We have more options than that. We can go to Peoria or Rockford, for example.

Won't get much climbing done around here though. It's flat as a pancake for about 800 miles in every direction.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:23 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Terrier
Or Gary.

Absolutely. How could I forget Gary.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by y2b4sure

Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:35 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

I'll second that.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

NeilB is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, now I'm really confused.

The thoughts change from Oz (maybe for a year or two, the dream place was Christchurch but could work on that once over in Oz) to the USA every 5 minutes.

I like the idea of the beach life for a while but would sure miss the UK (in places). But a swinging factor is I’ve cousins in Perth and sister plus family in NZ.

The converse is also true, settle in the Chicago area but until I get the company card (Diners) the travel would be an issue along with the working ethos.

Would I be right in thinking that the USA work ethic is rather more removed from the UK and that of Oz, namely far more 24/7 like?

I guess all in all, we could move over, rent, save some cash then decide if it’s for us or to relocate to NZ?

Cheers,

Neil
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:37 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I'll second that.
I'll third it
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:39 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

First time I've heard Chicago compared to England, granted all they saw was the airport, so maybe it was the Starbucks that gave them that idea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.