Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chicago or Perth equals too man choices

Wikiposts

Chicago or Perth equals too man choices

Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:59 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Chicago or Perth equals too man choices

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I'm not sure my old post I linked to says anything that really disagrees with you or Angry White Pyjamas (best book in the world, by the way).

I simply point out that a) you don't have to follow the secured credit card route and b) it is possible to build up a FICO score relatively quickly if you can find a financial institution such as a Credit Union which is prepared to issue you with an unsecured credit card and finally that c) it is possible to obtain a prime mortgage rate within less than a year of arriving in the US.

I believe you that your credit score becomes more "robust" the longer you've had good credit - you know far more about credit matters than I do. My aim in posting details of our experiences was to counter some of the common responses on BE saying that it will take years to build up a credit score and be eligible for prime lending rates.

A question for FatBrit though: I recently applied for a higher limit on my main credit card (to avoid going over 30% of its limit each month) and was rejected. Will this have a significant impact on my FICO score?

It is. See my last post. We achieved this within 10 months of being here and got prime. BUT you have to come prepared and luckily we did.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 5:01 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
We managed to circumvent the mortage problem by using our bank (BoA) who we have deposited a tidy sum with since we arrived here and going armed to the teeth with about 14 excellent and sparkling references from UK lenders going back 10 years or so of exemplary credit history and ex employers showing the last 10 years of continuous employment for both of us. The top trump it seems was our glowing reference from Royal Bank Of Scotland who the americans seem to hold in high esteem fiscally.
That illustrates how widely people's experiences can vary. We got our mortgage after only 9 months in the US with no references and no documentation from the UK whatsoever. All we went on was our US credit history and the work of an excellent mortgage broker who had arranged mortgages for expats before.

Last edited by dbj1000; Sep 29th 2005 at 5:03 am.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 5:04 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Yep -- if you fight a can get a channel through to the underwriter, you can certainly make it without. And the mortgage will do wonders for your credit score...

Also, 20 to 30 per cent down will sidestep a lack of (or poor!) credit history.

RBS seems to be more evidence of the lack of poor taste so many enjoy over here. Still, the Bank of Ngorna Karabak is probably more advanced then most US financial institutions.

LOL too sadly so true. I was amazed at how behind the banking system and individual banks are here. Pay for banking? I dont think so! I haven't done that in years chummy! And those damned carbon copied checks...
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Have you seen where Perth is on the map?

It's the most isolated city in the world. Nothing around it for miles and miles and miles.

At least if you want to get out of Chicago for the day you can go to Milwaukee.
Yep I know where Perth is and it certainly wouldnt be for me, I guess he has to find that out for himself.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I made a man choice today already... but we won't go into that.

You can get an AMEX before leaving the UK and have it transferred to the US once you have an address here; that will help with the credit rating.
we were allowed to transfer our Amex here but not everyone can, not sure what the reason is maybe it just depends on how good a day the person on the other end if the phone is having but we have a friend who had a 'black' Amex and was told he could not transfer it in any way...
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:57 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

That illustrates how widely people's experiences can vary. We got our mortgage after only 9 months in the US with no references and no documentation from the UK whatsoever. All we went on was our US credit history and the work of an excellent mortgage broker who had arranged mortgages for expats before.

we got a mortgage before we moved... here in fact before we had a visa its a piece of piss getting a mortgage (they can take back the house ). Its the other credit thats the nightmare
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:58 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
we were allowed to transfer our Amex here but not everyone can, not sure what the reason is maybe it just depends on how good a day the person on the other end if the phone is having but we have a friend who had a 'black' Amex and was told he could not transfer it in any way...

Before we moved, I called both MBNA and American Express (with whom we had cards in the UK) about this, and both of them said that their European operations are entirely separate from the US, and that we would have to get in touch with their US people. But the latter simply didn't want to know.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Before we moved, I called both MBNA and American Express (with whom we had cards in the UK) about this, and both of them said that their European operations are entirely separate from the US, and that we would have to get in touch with their US people. But the latter simply didn't want to know.
Did you call after you had moved? I just asked to talk to their "international team" and all I was asked to provide was the new address and SSN then I had to pick a card.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey

dont you have to be a millionaire to get a black amex - so your friend probably didnt care too much!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Did you call after you had moved? I just asked to talk to their "international team" and all I was asked to provide was the new address and SSN then I had to pick a card.

me too - there used to be a link on here to the international page - i had no problems at all!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
me too - there used to be a link on here to the international page - i had no problems at all!
http://www.americanexpress.com/globa...er_us_en.shtml

Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

dont you have to be a millionaire to get a black amex - so your friend probably didnt care too much!
I used to think that too but he's certainly not a millionaire..
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

"In 1999 American Express announced the introduction of its Centurion™ card. Available only by invitation to selected Platinum card members, this black credit card promises to simplify the lives of the harried rich. In exchange for its hefty annual fee (initially $1,000 US, but now $2,500), cardholders receive automatic upgrades on fifteen of the world's leading airlines. They also receive assistance in securing hard-to-come-by tickets for popular events, reservations at trendy restaurants, and shopping for Christmas gifts. Someone from the service will even call to remind cardholders of upcoming anniversaries. It is akin to having a personal concierge always on call.As to how the company decides whom it should offer the preferred plastic to, according to American Express their applications for Centurion cards are generally provided to customers who annually charge $150,000 or more to other AmEx cards. Centurion cards are not offered to anyone who has been a cardholder for less than a year.
"

he is very pissed off that he does'nt get the free BA upgrade anymore - my heart bleeds
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:12 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure my old post I linked to says anything that really disagrees with you or Angry White Pyjamas (best book in the world, by the way).
Yep -- should've written sorta disagree, coz I sorta agree as well. S'pose the only rule is that you can break the rules. Don't afraid to be loud and insistent, and always, always caveat emptor.

A question for FatBrit though: I recently applied for a higher limit on my main credit card (to avoid going over 30% of its limit each month) and was rejected. Will this have a significant impact on my FICO score?
Depends very much on how your CC issuer posted it the the bureaux. If they did the enquiry as a soft hit ("account review"), it shouldn't cost you anything. If they did a hard hit, it'll knock you down some. Enquiries remain on your account for 2 years but AFAIK FICO only counts the last 12 months in your score. When you next see your credit report, see which enquiry column it comes on. The one that is marked "only seen by you" is the soft hit, harmless one.

BTW, some of the more devious CC issuers have happily been known to give you hard hits every time they do a review to ensure your score goes down and therefore you remain with them.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 12:43 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago or Perth equals too many choices

Originally Posted by NeilB
Hi,

A curious question but none the less.

The original plan was to move the NZ, company offices closed so end of that trail. I have now been offered positions in North America (with initial work in or around Chicago) and Perth in Australia.

Basically we are an “outdoors” couple who like both the beach and the winter climbing.

So what is travel like in north America, and how easy is it to rent a house establish bank accounts, credit cards etc in North America?

In many ways the internal management transfer is as much a negative as a positive with too many choices.

We like the idea of a suntan but not too sure for how long, equally we like the idea of a good winter but the potential regular travel and long hours is a negative.

Anyone else dealt with similar and if so how did they choose between two destinations and comparatively different life styles. End game is to settle and raise a family.

Any insights well received.

Cheers,

Neil
To be honest mate I wouldn't go to either. Chicago is a great big city in the midwest and Perth is a great big city in the middle of a dessert. I would've plumped for New Zealand, shame that fell through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.