Reload this Page >

Chicago, kindergarton & locations above airport

Chicago, kindergarton & locations above airport

Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:23 am
Just Joined

LinzRoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chicago, kindergarton & locations above airport

Hi,

I have twin girls who will be 5 in July 2015 so I know they should be ok for going to kindergarton for the sept 2015 intake. However I have a few questions:

We are looking to live north of the airport, my husband be based in Deerfield. So looking at surrounding areas. Maybe Buffalo Grove, Arlington Heights ??

What are good family and school locations around that area?

Most kindergartons offer the half day (like nursery in in UK), however as they would have been going to school in 2015, any ideas on which kindergartons offer full days? ( or how to find this out )

Trying to work out costs involved if any? So can budget for this.

I have tried school websites, but some just do not say.

Any help it ideas would be great.

Old Nov 6th 2014, 9:58 am
Just Joined

tokenjock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chicago, kindergarton & locations above airport

Hi,

Did you get any luck? We're looking at moving to somewhere near the airport as well - let me know what you find.

Thanks
Alan
Old Nov 6th 2014, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Try posting and searching here Chicago Suburbs Forum - Relocation, Moving, General and Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum you'll be more likely to get specific info on areas in Chicagoland
Old Nov 6th 2014, 11:24 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It really varies from city to city (or more technically, school district to school district). Generally I found K4 (4-year-old kindergarten), if offered, was a half day and K5 was more or less a full day, but that was in our school district so it's not really controlling.

This article indicates that most of the kindys in Chicago area are half day, but you can get full day in some places (though for a fee).

Parents pay for full-day kindergarten - Chicago Tribune
Old Nov 7th 2014, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

phodg is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, most kindergartens round here are half day. My daughter used to do half a day there and then half at a local day care. Some companies have agreements with local child care places - get your husband to check.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 3:05 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phodg
Yeah, most kindergartens round here are half day. My daughter used to do half a day there and then half at a local day care. Some companies have agreements with local child care places - get your husband to check.
Little Miss P's school's kindergarten was barely half a day - they were done by 1.30pm. There was then "extended day" and we paid extra for them to keep her amused until 4.30pm.

Between now and summer you might want to look to see if you can find a pre-K program with places as that will prep your daughters for kindergarten, what is expected, and how a day at school works. Little Miss P was in such a program and by the time she was four she was already used to all the routines of a day at school, with "circle time" (sitting on the floor around the teacher), and a daily routine for indoor play, reading, out door play, lunch etc., and it made for a completely painless transition into her kindergarten year when she was 5. In fact the school little Miss P goes to had participation in a pre-K program a condition of being accepted into the school, and the school sent a member of staff to visit the pre-K center, talk to the staff their and observe little Miss P "in action". ..... Little Miss P does go to a private school.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 7:34 am
Just Joined

LinzRoss is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi thanks for the info, seems half day is what is
mainly offered. Good idea about the pre k tho. We going to be in the Uk until May we think if all goes to plan. Need to look into what to do from June until Sept tho. As they have been in nursery since 10 months and are getti all school prep at nursery in the uk. Maybe a few half days in a pre k play group would keep them going over the summer to they still in the swing on it
Thanks again for details,