Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chicago hotel/restaurant recommendations?

Wikiposts

Chicago hotel/restaurant recommendations?

Old May 25th 2009, 3:11 am
Banned

Gregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant future
Default Re: Chicago hotel/restaurant recommendations?

Avoid the south and west sides of the city. Very dangerous
Old May 25th 2009, 4:10 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

this guy stinks of second account...
Old May 27th 2009, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

mrfottlefocket is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
Hi!

Flying into O'Hare in June and before go to my fiances house in West.IL were thinking about spending a night in Chicago so we can have some alone time before we are bombarded by his family

Fiancé has said he will also take me out on a date and I can choose the restaurant

I've been to Chicago quite a few times before but have normally stayed with friends or at hotels around O'Hare. This time would like to stay downtown and within walking distance of stuff (have already been to all major tourist attractions so wouldn't want to visit that stuff but maybe within walking distance of the lake would be nice). Would like to spend under $200 but nice and romantic as possible!

Also when have eaten there before have mostly visited all the tourist places so this time want to avoid mediocre and overpriced food. Somewhere with good food and a nice atmosphere and a meal for 2 (inc wine) for below $100 would be nice

So do any Chicagoans/visitors of the city have any recommendations? Have been looking at trip adviser but there top rated hotels all seem to be within the $350 range

Any advice would be great!

Sophie

Don't know if it makes any difference but we will be there on a monday night (was hoping to pick up a swanky hotel for a low price )

go to www.yelp.com and go to the chicago page. anything you're looking for will be there. you can search establishments by price point, location, popularity, etc. all the reviews are user-generated so it's a good idea to check those out. everything else people have mentioned is good. be sure to get a chicago style hot dog (vienna beef only, please). also, it's a very, very good idea to travel by the elevated trains that run throughout the city. look up "chicago transit authority trip planner" to plan out your trip through the city so you don't get lost. as far as cheap eats go i reccomend going up to the argyle red line stop (the different branches are color coordinated) and getting some pho- most of the restaurants up there are BYOB too. chicago has very, very good ethnic food, you just need to look for it. anyways, a really good date stop is BOKA. should be within your price point, it's a block from the eL, and i love it. www.bokachicago.com
Old May 28th 2009, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

im flying into o'hare (from london) and staying at the Hilton Garden Inn hotel, its had pretty good reviews and is pet friendly (for me a must as im bringing the cat)

i got it on orbitz.com for $155 for 1 night which is pricey, if i wanted a longer stay id go for something a bit cheaper, but for one night im treating myself!
Old May 29th 2009, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Johnny Blood will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gregory Ainsworth III
Avoid the south and west sides of the city. Very dangerous
lol

Originally Posted by mrfottlefocket
be sure to get a chicago style hot dog (vienna beef only, please).
I love chicago style hot dogs. Chicago is one of my favorite places on earth for cheap treats. Also good: polish sausage, italian beef, breaded steak sandwich.

But there's nothing wrong with David Berg hot dogs! They are the norm on the south side. Granted, Vienna Beef now owns them.

as far as cheap eats go i reccomend going up to the argyle red line stop (the different branches are color coordinated) and getting some pho- most of the restaurants up there are BYOB too. chicago has very, very good ethnic food, you just need to look for it. anyways, a really good date stop is BOKA. should be within your price point, it's a block from the eL, and i love it. www.bokachicago.com
so many places in chicago are BYOB, you can really save $$

1/2 block north of Broadway & Argyle you can get amazing vietnamese sandwiches at Ba Le. Jesus they are unbelievably good and about $4.
Old May 29th 2009, 3:37 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnny Blood
lol

I love chicago style hot dogs. Chicago is one of my favorite places on earth for cheap treats. Also good: polish sausage, italian beef, breaded steak sandwich.

But there's nothing wrong with David Berg hot dogs! They are the norm on the south side. Granted, Vienna Beef now owns them.

so many places in chicago are BYOB, you can really save $$

1/2 block north of Broadway & Argyle you can get amazing vietnamese sandwiches at Ba Le. Jesus they are unbelievably good and about $4.
This must a food you are given from birth to enjoy it. My husband took me to this place http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Over...spx?RefID=1307 to say I didnt enjoy it is an understatement
Old May 29th 2009, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Johnny Blood will become famous soon enough

Haha, yeah. Sometimes outsiders find Italian beef unappetizing and messy. My wife was very anti-Italian beef until I told her to try it "dry" instead of "dipped." Now she likes it. I get it dipped with hot peppers.

Mr. Beef is not one of my favorite places. Al's #1 on Taylor Street is the best and you can get Italian Ice across the street. They also have great fries.

I think I may have to ride my bike up to Al's today...
Old May 29th 2009, 4:26 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

give me a saddle
Old May 29th 2009, 4:59 am
Just Joined

sunnybunny is an unknown quantity at this point

joy yee's restaurant in chinatown area is good and relatively cheap for a lot of food
Old May 29th 2009, 10:22 am
Just Joined

mrfottlefocket is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kate2112
This must a food you are given from birth to enjoy it. My husband took me to this place http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Over...spx?RefID=1307 to say I didnt enjoy it is an understatement
Mr. Beef is terrible and over priced. If you want excellent hot dogs, polish sausages, or any sausage for that matter, I'd go to Hot Doug's. You'll have to wait in line for about an hour but it's well worth it.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

I took my fiance to The Gage in the end and it was fantastic. The wine and food were both delicious and the waiter was from hertfordshire!

Got a discount rate at the Talbot which is a really nice boutique hotel off michigan avenue and they upgraded us to a suite

Also tried chicago deep dish pizza for the first time, that was quite an experience, probably gained 10 lbs in an hour!

Thank you all for the recommendations, next time I'm up there I will definitely check some more of them out!

Sophie
Old Jun 18th 2009, 9:25 am
Sleepless In Chicago

Glad you liked the Gage, I insulted the English water there, he asked where I thought he was from and I said Australia, maybe it was the same chap.

Where did you get the pizza from?
Old Jun 18th 2009, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

I thought we was from Australia to!!

We went to Geodorno's (sp) it was pretty insane just a block of cheese but it tasted good
Old Jun 18th 2009, 9:46 am
Sleepless In Chicago

Giordanos

Next time you can, go to Lou Malnatis.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:15 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Giordanos

Next time you can, go to Lou Malnatis.
Giordanos is still my favorite! Good choice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.