Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chicago hotel/restaurant recommendations?

Chicago hotel/restaurant recommendations?

Old May 20th 2009, 2:54 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago hotel/restaurant recommendations?

Stayed at the Essex Inn(3 and a bit stars..cheap as chips too) on S Michigan Ave in January...the hotel was fine and the rooms recently updated....the rooms on the front have a stunning view across Grant Park to the lake....even in January the view was awesome....The Hilton is right next door if you have cash to burn...or do as we did ...stay at the Essex and use the bar at the Hilton

Buddy Guys own blues club is a minutes walk from the hotel and a 4 minute walk will get you to Dearborn Street and 2 fantastic pubs ...The Hackney and Kaseys...both have a great selection of US micro brews and imported beers and wines...The Hackney serving very good pub/finger food ...
Old May 20th 2009, 6:20 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

The hackney is more of a Pub atmosphere not really a romantic restaurant atmosphere

Anywhere on Michigan avenue is nice stroll away from the lake and through grant park.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:30 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
Hi!

Flying into O'Hare in June and before go to my fiances house in West.IL were thinking about spending a night in Chicago so we can have some alone time before we are bombarded by his family

Fiancé has said he will also take me out on a date and I can choose the restaurant

I've been to Chicago quite a few times before but have normally stayed with friends or at hotels around O'Hare. This time would like to stay downtown and within walking distance of stuff (have already been to all major tourist attractions so wouldn't want to visit that stuff but maybe within walking distance of the lake would be nice). Would like to spend under $200 but nice and romantic as possible!

Also when have eaten there before have mostly visited all the tourist places so this time want to avoid mediocre and overpriced food. Somewhere with good food and a nice atmosphere and a meal for 2 (inc wine) for below $100 would be nice

So do any Chicagoans/visitors of the city have any recommendations? Have been looking at trip adviser but there top rated hotels all seem to be within the $350 range

Any advice would be great!

Sophie

Don't know if it makes any difference but we will be there on a monday night (was hoping to pick up a swanky hotel for a low price )
I liked these three places when I visited depending on your mood, personality and what you fancy eating.
$100 including wine is probably a bit low though.

Uptown old town style swanky restaurant with a great atmosphere, but somewhat formal. Almost takes you back to the 1930's Prohibition era

http://www.hugosfrogbar.com/

Downtown near the loop, great place to mingle with locals after work for a beer for Happy Hour around 5 - 7PM, not sure I'd want to eat here

http://www.elephantcastle.com/conten...icago_adams_st

If you like tapas and Spanish food I'd recommend this place. It was excellent.

http://www.emiliostapas.com/lincolnpark.htm
Old May 20th 2009, 10:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you like Middle Eastern food, "Reza's Restaurant" is THE place to go in Chicago!

http://www.rezasrestaurant.com/

Rene
Old May 20th 2009, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Johnny Blood will become famous soon enough

I think Blackbird is the best restaurant mentioned thus far.

If you are here June 12-14 I highly recommend going to the free blues festival in Grant Park. It's one of the best concert experiences I've ever had. Totally free, great crowd, great sound setup, excellent lineups.

Last edited by Johnny Blood; May 20th 2009 at 11:02 pm.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:05 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you like Middle Eastern food, "Reza's Restaurant" is THE place to go in Chicago!

http://www.rezasrestaurant.com/

Rene
Agreed, a very nice place to eat, the wife is a bit dubious of the downtown location, can't recall why, the one at Clark and Foster is the only one I've been too. The soup is all I go for and they GIVE you it.
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:12 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Check out the Time Out magazine website for Chicago
metromix(.com) is probably better for Chicago.
If you want to go on the tear just head up to Wrigleyville - loads of bars up there and should be something to keep you amused.
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:41 am

Gibo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
metromix(.com) is probably better for Chicago.
If you want to go on the tear just head up to Wrigleyville - loads of bars up there and should be something to keep you amused.
Try Gibsons Steakhouse. Its a icon in Chicago.

http://www.gibsonssteakhouse.com/

Also try the Chicago Fire House.
http://www.mainstayhospitality.com/index.php?section=3

This restaurant was used as a set in the movie "Backdraft"

Wrigleyville is ok, I drive past it most days, It’s full of piss heads in the summer , even more so when its game day.
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Johnny Blood will become famous soon enough

Wrigleyville is going to be swarming with Trixies and Chads.

Bars with incredible selections of beer: The Local Option, Hop Leaf. Maybe Beer Bistro, but I haven't been there.

Another restaurant option is Avec. It's a small-plates wine bar. Also, Frontera Grill for haute mexican.

Great hamburgers: Kuma's Corner (also a bar)

I also recommend the architecture boat tour and the walking tours.

Last edited by Johnny Blood; May 22nd 2009 at 3:19 pm.
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:27 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Hotel 71 or Avenue south are both great hotels and have offered free upgrades to suites from a king.

Some really great restaurants have already been mentioned I would throw in Osteria Via Stato - the food is good, service is friendly and the prices are very reasonable and great wine pours.

Have fun its a great place to visit.
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:52 pm

Gibo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Johnny Blood
Wrigleyville is going to be swarming with Trixies and Chads.

Bars with incredible selections of beer: The Local Option, Hop Leaf. Maybe Beer Bistro, but I haven't been there.

Another restaurant option is Avec. It's a small-plates wine bar. Also, Frontera Grill for haute mexican.

Great hamburgers: Kuma's Corner (also a bar)

I also recommend the architecture boat tour and the walking tours.
1st time i heard the term Trixie. lol that is so true!!! Slappers all of them !!!
Old May 23rd 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

sdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nice

we stayed at the james hotel and got a great deal through a travelzoo email. the james was a nice place to stay at, very hip!

food wise gibsons steak house for good grub. turn up early for a drink in the bar.
Old May 24th 2009, 2:52 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibo
Try Gibsons Steakhouse. Its a icon in Chicago.

http://www.gibsonssteakhouse.com/

Also try the Chicago Fire House.
http://www.mainstayhospitality.com/index.php?section=3

This restaurant was used as a set in the movie "Backdraft"

Wrigleyville is ok, I drive past it most days, It’s full of piss heads in the summer , even more so when its game day.
Yup - so for a group of 20-something girls it sounds just right.
The steakhouses are a bit pricey, and huge slabs of meat may not quite be what they are looking for. Sushi samba or blackbird (for lunch) have already been mentioned and are good suggestions.
Stay clear of chi-town pizza as it is to everyone's taste - check out piece instead perhaps - nice bar with great pizza, and a good place to start your night out.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:51 am
Banned

Gregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant futureGregory Ainsworth III has a brilliant future

We stay at The Four Seasons.

http://www.fourseasons.com/chicagofs/
Old May 25th 2009, 3:00 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gregory Ainsworth III
We stay at The Four Seasons.

http://www.fourseasons.com/chicagofs/
Of course you do, dear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.