Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chicago or Evanston -- your experiences?

Chicago or Evanston -- your experiences?

Old Jul 11th 2016, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic_chap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chicago or Evanston -- your experiences?

Hi all, I was hoping to hear from Brits living in the Chicago area, as I am pondering a move there. I lived in Chicago for about 4 years in the early 2000s, so I am certainly familiar with it, but now I am at a different stage in my life (and I know the city has changed too) so I thought I'd seek some input.

- How is Chicago doing, in general? Do you feel that the city is moving in a good direction, and are you planning to stay long-term?
- What are your favourite things about life in Chicago, especially as compared to the UK?
- What are your least favourite? Do the pros sufficiently outweigh the cons?
- I'm especially keen to hear from people with kids. (Mine are 9 and 12.) How do you like the city as a place for them? What have your experiences with the schools been like?
- As well as Chicago proper I am also looking at Evanston. If anyone has any experience with Evanston (good or bad) I'd be keen to hear about it.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago or Evanston -- your experiences?

Hi!

I visit my fiance and her family often who live in the Chicago suburbs area, in fact, her brother lives in Evanston!

My following views and opinions of Evanston are based on what I have heard and/or experienced visiting in Evanston, so take them with a grain of salt.

Personally, I don't think I would want to live in Evanston, it seems a minority area and I often am very wary of walking around certain areas, even in the downtown area, which isn't a very nice area.

There are nicer suburbs not too fair, such as Park Ridge, which is a beautiful, lively area with good businesses and seems to be growing, despite already being popular etc. It's a great are for children (it's where my fiance and her siblings grew up), with lots of safe areas for children.

I hope this helps a little, but again, these are my own personal views!