Chicago

Old Jan 12th 2006, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chicago

Info needed, please! There is a chance my husband's group may move to the university of Chicago.

We've only been in LA 6 months so it would be another massive upheaval, but as I am finding it very difficult to settle here myself maybe it would be ok.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 4:51 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Info needed, please! There is a chance my husband's group may move to the university of Chicago.

We've only been in LA 6 months so it would be another massive upheaval, but as I am finding it very difficult to settle here myself maybe it would be ok.

The weather in Chicago is much more... ummm.... envigorating. No earthquakes either...
Old Jan 12th 2006, 4:54 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Its cold right now, and very flat which can get quite depressing. In the summer it is ridiculously hot.
On the plus side it will feel more city like than the sprawl of LA (though it still does sprawl itself). The 'burbs suck big time though.

To be honest I can't see it being any worse for you and the change might do you good - a fresh start and all that. There will also be more overlap with home in terms of the time difference which you might appreciate too.

There seems to be a few posters on here from Chicago, so hopefully they'll be able to give you more practical advice than my general ramblings (I haven't really settled into the town myself yet).

Good luck
Old Jan 12th 2006, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Its cold right now, and very flat which can get quite depressing. In the summer it is ridiculously hot.
On the plus side it will feel more city like than the sprawl of LA (though it still does sprawl itself). The 'burbs suck big time though.

To be honest I can't see it being any worse for you and the change might do you good - a fresh start and all that. There will also be more overlap with home in terms of the time difference which you might appreciate too.

There seems to be a few posters on here from Chicago, so hopefully they'll be able to give you more practical advice than my general ramblings (I haven't really settled into the town myself yet).

Good luck
Thanks BigDavyG. How are you getting on after returning?

Last edited by Sallyanne; Jan 12th 2006 at 4:59 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:24 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Its cold right now, and very flat which can get quite depressing.
I agree.
In the summer it is ridiculously hot.
Some of the time...
On the plus side it will feel more city like than the sprawl of LA (though it still does sprawl itself).
I agree.
The 'burbs suck big time though.
That's a ridiculous blanket statement. Some of the burbs are indeed vast wastelands of giant McMansions, but many others are interesting and great places to live. It depends on the burb and your personal preferences.

This is like asking "what's London like?" It's a huge, diverse city. Do you have more specific questions?
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:28 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
That's a ridiculous blanket statement. Some of the burbs are indeed vast wastelands of giant McMansions, but many others are interesting and great places to live. It depends on the burb and your personal preferences.
Exactly - it depends on personal perference.
Living in the 'burbs really hammers home the US car culture, which being a UK city dweller in the past I'm not used to and find quite disenchanting.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hiro11

This is like asking "what's London like?" It's a huge, diverse city. Do you have more specific questions?
Do you have any knowledge of the area around the university of Chicago and whether it would be suitable for a family to live? We have heard it is a gentrified "rough" area.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:35 pm
Thinking about it

Hiro

How's that job with the Chicago tourist board working out for you anyway ??
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:40 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Chicago huh ?...... actually, I thought Katherine Zeta-Jones did quite well in the movie version.....

lolol .....
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Oh sweet sweet Chicago.

I love that place, if I had to choose between Miami and Chicago - without family to consider - it would be Chicago everytime.

Not sure where exactly the Uni of Chicago is; is that the one near the White Sox stadium? If so yes it's a rough area.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:17 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Oh sweet sweet Chicago.

I love that place, if I had to choose between Miami and Chicago - without family to consider - it would be Chicago everytime.

Not sure where exactly the Uni of Chicago is; is that the one near the White Sox stadium? If so yes it's a rough area.
I think its in that neck of the woods, yes
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

biccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant future

The immediate environs of the University of Chicago are pleasant enough, but venturing a few blocks beyond that it's very rough and scary. But you don't have to live there -- I used to commute from Wrigleyville for a class down LSD all the way. A few snaggles near the downtown, but not too onerous, traffic-wise. The big bonus is you will get a lot more bang for your property buck in Chicago compared to LA, though the weather will generally be a lot less pleasant.

Having said that, Chicago is my favourite American city to live (I've done Boston, NYC, LA and uh, Detroit) with lots going for it terms of culture, shopping, restaurants, museums, nightlife. I always loved the summers there with the street festivals and festivals in Grant Park, even though the weather can get oppressively hot
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Oh sweet sweet Chicago.

Isnt it "Sweet http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/blues-brothers,-the/20736.html]Home[/URL] Chicago"?
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Isnt it "Sweet Home Chicago"?
I thought it was "Sweet Home Alabama"?

Chicago is my kind of town...... Chicago is....
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:42 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biccy

Having said that, Chicago is my favourite American city to live (I've done Boston, NYC, LA and uh, Detroit)
Gee... Detroit wasn't your favorite?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.