Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chemistry teacher and family looking to make the move...

Chemistry teacher and family looking to make the move...

Old Jul 31st 2012, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chemistry teacher and family looking to make the move...

My husband was a teacher in England and very well paid with over 10 years' of experience. He needed no work sponsorship to come to the US (he came on a fiance visa to me, K-1). At the time, our state (SC) did not recognize any "translations" done by WES regarding educational degrees. The state basically wanted him to go back for a US bachelor's degree (4 years) for a starting salary of $24,500. He works at the DMV now and never went into teaching over here (which I think is a bit of a loss, actually). Our state still has 10% unemployment, we've been searching other states for work, but in initial stages right now. I have a Master's degree and over 10 years of experience in case work, but budgets have been cut to the bone. I actually currently work in a bra store in a local shopping outlet and I feel blessed if I earn $120 per week. Vacationing in the US is nowhere similar to living here.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all

might have better luck with a private school, where a Brit degree might be valued, and teacher accreditation is more flexible.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you've got a phd and can teach at university level, sure you've got a better chance of a visa, slim, but better.

As a regular highschool teacher? Realistically, you'e got no chance. Private school might improve things a little, but not by much.

Also, generally, schools in a lot of Florida aren't really rated that well and you'd have to go through the faff of getting state certified. Admittedly the standards required to teach in Florida, a monkey drop kicked from the highest tree could still probably qualify.

Anyway, other considerations to the standard of living would be health insurance, which is a major factor for someone with kids.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all

university level would be even tougher, unless you are a freshly minted phd with a couple of publications, or an accomplished academic already. There are hordes of grossly underpaid adjuncts in most fields teaching for peanuts on a per course basis.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

I've heard of teachers being hired on H-1Bs for "shortage" areas, but it looks like that didn't go so well:

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/glo...-uncertainties
Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:02 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NEWKY
@sir_eccles: we have close friends who we holiday with in Sarasota regularly and our children love it, ps never been to Disney
Have you been in Summer? I am in Tampa area. Right now just before sunset it is 30C in shade and humidity is 80%. This is mild relatively, but I can barely sit outside for a cigarette! (and there is another tropical storm brewing.) November to March it is lovely outside.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 12:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Have you been in Summer? I am in Tampa area. Right now just before sunset it is 30C in shade and humidity is 80%. This is mild relatively, but I can barely sit outside for a cigarette! (and there is another tropical storm brewing.) November to March it is lovely outside.
It is so bad today that even trying to grill supper outside tonight was too much for me. Hibernation time until November for me.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you've got a phd and can teach at university level, sure you've got a better chance of a visa, slim, but better.

As a regular highschool teacher? Realistically, you'e got no chance. Private school might improve things a little, but not by much.

Also, generally, schools in a lot of Florida aren't really rated that well and you'd have to go through the faff of getting state certified. Admittedly the standards required to teach in Florida, a monkey drop kicked from the highest tree could still probably qualify.

Anyway, other considerations to the standard of living would be health insurance, which is a major factor for someone with kids.
It's not hard to be certified if you have a BA/BS degree.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:10 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

I always find these bids for freedom in Florida fascinating. Of all the states I have been to it would be almost last I would live in, after NM and also Alabama I thought was pretty but odd.

Someone mentioned Australia and Europe also - OP - can you speak a European language? That could be an option. As for Australia - me being a generous soul I just looked on what called the Skills Occupation List, and I notice Secondary School teacher is on it - but you would need to do more research. Well, first you'd have to want to live in Australia

But just another option. Also - if you want to be closer to your family perhaps Canada is an option?
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:13 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidtheprof
university level would be even tougher, unless you are a freshly minted phd with a couple of publications, or an accomplished academic already. There are hordes of grossly underpaid adjuncts in most fields teaching for peanuts on a per course basis.
Definitely need publications. If he had a doctorate with a handful of journal pubs and a monograph he might get in but still not guaranteed for the reasons you mention.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:17 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I do know of a Brit Chemist in the area (scientist, not pharmacist) I do not know how close a chem teacher is to that, but maybe a possibility....?
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:19 am
Banned

I do know of a Brit Chemist in the area (scientist, not pharmacist) I do not know how close a chem teacher is to that, but maybe a possibility....?
Yes what about if he went into industry? Is there more demand there than in teaching?
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:23 am
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by Zen10
Yes what about if he went into industry? Is there more demand there than in teaching?
That is what I mean. There is "some" industry here. I have no specialized insight in the chemistry area, here or elsewhere.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:27 am
Banned

That is what I mean. There is "some" industry here. I have no specialized insight in the chemistry area, here or elsewhere.
After all, he could always get back into teaching down the line if he had to get an industry position to get access to the US. And like I say he has other options - not least Canada as that would enable him to be closer to his family in Florida.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:44 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Zen10
After all, he could always get back into teaching down the line if he had to get an industry position to get access to the US. And like I say he has other options - not least Canada as that would enable him to be closer to his family in Florida.
No teaching jobs in Canada - it'll have to be the Southern Hemisphere!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.