Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chemistry teacher and family looking to make the move...

Chemistry teacher and family looking to make the move...

Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chemistry teacher and family looking to make the move...

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes...life here isn't better or worse...it's different. It's moving my daughter away from her roots...family and friends...that solid base...what I regret. She didn't enjoy living in the US but is very happy in Canada...but I know there is that longing to go 'home'.

Yep...moving with kids can become complicated as they get older
Old Aug 4th 2012, 2:52 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NEWKY

To try and explain the "outdoors" comment, i meant that our children love playing outdoors (have spent the last 3 evening playing hide and seek on the close that we live!) and to have the opportunity to regularly visit the coast, beach, open spaces would give them a wide variety of activities that we as a family could enjoy which would mean the time spent marking planning etc is "paid back" in more exciting ways than hide and seek
I'm still not sure why you would have more opportunity to "regularly visit the coast, beach, open spaces" in the US than you would in the UK. You can jump in the car and drive to so many wonderful places in the UK -- and the distances are a fraction of what they are in the US! I've never seen such lovely beaches in the US as in the UK (though I'm sure that folks will tell me they do exist!). And don't overlook your children's education -- if you want the best for them in that department, FL is not the state to consider.

Last edited by Nutmegger; Aug 4th 2012 at 3:51 pm. Reason: Try to fix bolding that didn't work!
Old Aug 4th 2012, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly - thanks to all that have taken the time to read and give advice. It certainly seems that if we want to move to the US we need to consider other areas as opposed to just florida.

To try and explain the "outdoors" comment, i meant that our children love playing outdoors (have spent the last 3 evening playing hide and seek on the close that we live!) and to have the opportunity to regularly visit the coast, beach, open spaces would give them a wide variety of activities that we as a family could enjoy which would mean the time spent marking planning etc is "paid back" in more exciting ways than hide and seek

We just want to provide them with the best childhood possible and give them a start to life that we dont think we can here

thanks again

john and family

If you really want to try it then do because there is nothing worse in life than "what ifs" but don't let better weather and fun for the kids be the determining factor.

Stress in a new life in a new country is something else but there are plenty of good parts, you have to figure out what is best for everyone. Good luck!
Old Aug 4th 2012, 5:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly - thanks to all that have taken the time to read and give advice. It certainly seems that if we want to move to the US we need to consider other areas as opposed to just florida.

We just want to provide them with the best childhood possible and give them a start to life that we dont think we can here

thanks again

john and family
I never see children playing outside here...unless they are doing organised activities ie summer day camps.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be interesting to know the real reasons in these cases. The one mentioned often seem to make no sense.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 9:16 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It would be interesting to know the real reasons in these cases. The one mentioned often seem to make no sense.
I think quite often it really is the thought that life is as fun as when you visit on vacation, only with a few days at work in between.
But in reality is never is that easy.
I have a friend who is teacher, his wife stays home with the kids, she can't work as two are special needs but were mainstreamed in school. They have 4.
He has a masters degree and is also in the reserves (Navy.) They get food stamps, or EBT as they call it now, thats how little he earns. There are no extras, his house is falling apart at the seams, no money to do anything, no sports, no after school activities. They haven't had a family holiday since they went on honeymoon. So the kids have never been away, ever.
There are so many hidden costs here that it eats up your income.
Soccer sign ups are right now (or maybe I missed it last month) anyway that is now over $100 per child per season and on top of that parents have to commit to fund raising. Baseball is a similar cost as is basket ball.
The cheapest out door activity for us is a membership to the local clubhouse, the whole family for $150 per year (very unusual these days I have friends paying 4 and 5 times that for their pool access) we have access to the pool every day but tuesday. It's old, not the prettiest, and they need volunteers for all kinds of fix up projects, but it's friendly and clean.
Skiing (snow) for locals is just under $500 each if you buy now for winter. They used to offer a cheaper one just for locals I think they got rid of it.
Skiing (water) costs are infinite boat, gas, food, drinks, ski's, life vests, both our boats are for sale cheap if anyone wants one. One top of that you now have to pay every time you launch the boat, used to be free here.
It all looks fun and easy, but without a huge income we are limited in what we can do for the kids outdoor activities.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

A somewhat classic misconception of the advantages of the US over the midlands.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:20 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I think quite often it really is the thought that life is as fun as when you visit on vacation, only with a few days at work in between.
But in reality is never is that easy.
I have a friend who is teacher, his wife stays home with the kids, she can't work as two are special needs but were mainstreamed in school. They have 4.
He has a masters degree and is also in the reserves (Navy.) They get food stamps, or EBT as they call it now, thats how little he earns. There are no extras, his house is falling apart at the seams, no money to do anything, no sports, no after school activities. They haven't had a family holiday since they went on honeymoon. So the kids have never been away, ever.
There are so many hidden costs here that it eats up your income.
Soccer sign ups are right now (or maybe I missed it last month) anyway that is now over $100 per child per season and on top of that parents have to commit to fund raising. Baseball is a similar cost as is basket ball.
The cheapest out door activity for us is a membership to the local clubhouse, the whole family for $150 per year (very unusual these days I have friends paying 4 and 5 times that for their pool access) we have access to the pool every day but tuesday. It's old, not the prettiest, and they need volunteers for all kinds of fix up projects, but it's friendly and clean.
Skiing (snow) for locals is just under $500 each if you buy now for winter. They used to offer a cheaper one just for locals I think they got rid of it.
Skiing (water) costs are infinite boat, gas, food, drinks, ski's, life vests, both our boats are for sale cheap if anyone wants one. One top of that you now have to pay every time you launch the boat, used to be free here.
It all looks fun and easy, but without a huge income we are limited in what we can do for the kids outdoor activities.
Along with 47 million other Americans.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:23 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
A somewhat classic misconception of the advantages of the US over the midlands.
I believe so. I think the advantages of new world countries are generally over-estimated, especially America because of the health care issue. I think this idea took hold a few decades ago when Britain really was a long way behind these countries for standard of living, but the gap has narrowed somewhat. My concern is that the British elevated their standard of living in the 80s and particularly 90s by borrowing, but that party is over. They are now at 28 and dropping, and I wonder if in a few years' time the gap might widen again and new world might become more appealing. Just a thought.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I believe so. I think the advantages of new world countries are generally over-estimated, especially America because of the health care issue. I think this idea took hold a few decades ago when Britain really was a long way behind these countries for standard of living, but the gap has narrowed somewhat. My concern is that the British elevated their standard of living in the 80s and particularly 90s by borrowing, but that party is over. They are now at 28 and dropping, and I wonder if in a few years' time the gap might widen again and new world might become more appealing. Just a thought.
I'm surprised that America is thought to have advantages for a higher quality of life from the UK.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 4:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by tuxedocat
I'm surprised that America is thought to have advantages for a higher quality of life from the UK.
Yes I agree. I would enjoy living in America I think but it's not somewhere I have ever planned to live and I strongly doubt I'll live there now because in my opinion, America isn't what it used to be - it's not even what it was 15 years ago. It's a good country, in my view, but I don't see on what basis one would place it higher than the UK.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine (fellow Brit) has a teaching job here in Colorado. She volunteered in the school district first and got in that way.

If you want the outdoors lifestyle, Colorado's pretty hard to beat.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadRad
A friend of mine (fellow Brit) has a teaching job here in Colorado. She volunteered in the school district first and got in that way.

How long ago was that and did they sponsor her for a visa to move to the US?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:32 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MadRad

She must have been in the US on a visa before she volunteered though.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Zen10
She must have been in the US on a visa before she volunteered though.
That's what I was thinking...if so that post is irrelevant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.