British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cheese! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cheese-305039/)

Guelder Rose May 25th 2005 4:50 am

Cheese!

I recently got some Welsh Cheddar from Trader Joes ... scoffed the lot within a couple of days! :)

Trader Joes is a long drive, whereas Stater Bros is just around the corner ... and today I discovered that they sell Irish Cheddar (two types - medium & vintage), so for dinner today I stuffed myself silly with french bread, yummy cheese, salad with Heinz salad cream and salt & vinegar crisps, totally disgusting but very nice at the same time! :D

So, if any of you don't live near Trader Joes, but do live near Stater Bros and fancy a bit of Irish Cheddar you know where to go!

woodsey May 25th 2005 4:51 am

Re: Cheese!

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I recently got some Welsh Cheddar from Trader Joes ... scoffed the lot within a couple of days! :)

Trader Joes is a long drive, whereas Stater Bros is just around the corner ... and today I discovered that they sell Irish Cheddar (two types - medium & vintage), so for dinner today I stuffed myself silly with french bread, yummy cheese, salad with Heinz salad cream and salt & vinegar crisps, totally disgusting but very nice at the same time! :D

So, if any of you don't live near Trader Joes, but do live near Stater Bros and fancy a bit of Irish Cheddar you know where to go!

have you tried parmesan in your cheese sauce yet? :D

Guelder Rose May 25th 2005 5:13 am

Originally Posted by woodsey
have you tried parmesan in your cheese sauce yet? :D

Actually, I've been a bit lazy on the cooking front lately, so I haven't got round to trying Parmesan. I seem to be cooking more and more Mexican dishes these days ... they are easy and the kids love it.

I did get some Canadian Cheddar from Trader Joes (seem to remember you were the poster that tipped me off about TJ's and cheese?) and also got the Welsh Cheddar at the same time ... the Welsh was lovely, but the Canadian was so strong that I couldn't eat it, I swear it must have been a bad batch cus I always had Canadian Cheddar in the UK and it was never that strong.

Russ&Jayne May 25th 2005 12:40 pm

We're so desperate living up in the sticks, we drive 3 hrs every few weeks to Trader Joes. It's a life saver :cool:

USBound May 25th 2005 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
We're so desperate living up in the sticks, we drive 3 hrs every few weeks to Trader Joes. It's a life saver :cool:

first time I had REAL cheese in 18months was YESTERDAY when work received a moving in present... a cheese n fruit plate for 120 people... hmmm....

pretty much ALL the cheese around here is made from rubber.

Duncan Roberts May 25th 2005 2:21 pm

There are a lot of local shops around me that have some decent cheese. Can even get some Double Gloucester made a few miles away from where I used to live! But nowhere has a nice 7 year aged cheddar. It always makes me laugh how the American cheddars have "Aged 9 months!" on the packaging. Am I meant to swoon and buy the whole lot?

Dimsie May 25th 2005 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose

I did get some Canadian Cheddar from Trader Joes (seem to remember you were the poster that tipped me off about TJ's and cheese?) and also got the Welsh Cheddar at the same time ... the Welsh was lovely, but the Canadian was so strong that I couldn't eat it, I swear it must have been a bad batch cus I always had Canadian Cheddar in the UK and it was never that strong.

I was a big fan of Canadian cheddar, especially the kind Safeway used to sell in the UK which was always "just right" for my taste. We're not within reach of Trader Joes, but I found that you can order Black Diamond Canadian cheddar from Amazon (of all places). I haven't bought any yet though just in case it's that VERY strong variety. I wonder if anyone else here has bought it from there ?

Bob May 25th 2005 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
..But nowhere has a nice 7 year aged cheddar. It always makes me laugh how the American cheddars have "Aged 9 months!" on the packaging. Am I meant to swoon and buy the whole lot?

It's amusing that...even the tesco's own brand cheapo economy had more flavour...but there is decent cheese around here, but it's just way to expensive for us to buy, so we use the "seriously sharp hunters"....hmmm...not that strong, but it'll do...

Dant3 May 25th 2005 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne

It's easy to forget that the rest of America isn't quite like Los Angeles. We have three branches of Trader Joe within five miles of the house. I'll think twice before I bitch and moan about having to drive a mile, a whole mile, to the laudrette.

TaffyinOK May 25th 2005 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Dimsie
I was a big fan of Canadian cheddar, especially the kind Safeway used to sell in the UK which was always "just right" for my taste. We're not within reach of Trader Joes, but I found that you can order Black Diamond Canadian cheddar from Amazon (of all places). I haven't bought any yet though just in case it's that VERY strong variety. I wonder if anyone else here has bought it from there ?

Hi Dimsie:
Have you tried Canterbury's on Classen Blvd.? Last time I was there they had some pretty good Caerphilly cheese.

Suess May 25th 2005 5:34 pm

We buy Yancy's Fancy Extra Sharp New York State Cheddar Cheese.

It's just as good as some of the mature Cheddar's I bought back home. Don't know if it's sold nationally. It's delicious.

Sue

AdobePinon May 25th 2005 6:11 pm

Maybe you lot should try Tillamook Vintage White Extra Sharp. OK, so it's only aged two years, but it's strong enough that most Americans won't eat it.

Dimsie May 25th 2005 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by TaffyinOK
Hi Dimsie:
Have you tried Canterbury's on Classen Blvd.? Last time I was there they had some pretty good Caerphilly cheese.

Hi Taffy
Not yet - we haven't managed to get there so far, but we'll definitely try it ASAP. Thanks for the hint.

Dimsie May 25th 2005 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Maybe you lot should try Tillamook Vintage White Extra Sharp. OK, so it's only aged two years, but it's strong enough that most Americans won't eat it.

Thanks for that tip, AP. I looked for that cheese on Google and it appears it is available at several stores in Okie land. We shall hunt some down. :)

Pimpbot May 25th 2005 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dimsie

I use to buy the Canadian chedder from Tesco's. Bought a great Irish mature chedder from Costco the other day. I also had a smokey bacon cheese ball from Fry's the other day with sliced nuts of some kind around it. Wasn't that bad either.