Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to send packages back to UK

Cheapest way to send packages back to UK

Old Nov 19th 2014, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

iakiak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheapest way to send packages back to UK

Hi,
My sister back in England has had a baby and I foresee sending my niece lots of packages in the coming future.

Just got back from USPS where I sent a couple of onesies. At 9oz, it cost $15! (SF to London)

Anyone have any tips for sending parcels and packages cheaply back to England?

Thanks

KK
Old Nov 20th 2014, 12:13 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cheapest way to send packages back to UK

I stopped shipping found it cheaper to purchase in the uk and ship usually for free.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

a18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iakiak
Hi,
My sister back in England has had a baby and I foresee sending my niece lots of packages in the coming future.

Just got back from USPS where I sent a couple of onesies. At 9oz, it cost $15! (SF to London)

Thanks

KK
Don't think you'll find anything cheaper than the cheapest USPS rate if you want to ship from here. It's easy to use their online service, including printing up the customs dec, and getting a good estimate of the cost before you head to the PO.

But, overall, cheapest to buy your gifts online in the UK. Also, over a certain value (no idea what that is) goods mailed from the US might be dinged with UK excise duty, though that's only happened when I've used FedEx or UPS to courier the gift.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Order direct from a site like M&S or John Lewis in the UK, and send it to her that way.

I've been stung by import duties when I lived in the UK and was sent maternity/babywear from the US.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 11:24 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Also Amazon.co.uk works very well. If you would like to send booze in the UK masterofmalt.com has a very good selection.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

iakiak is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the suggestions.
Sadly the stuff I was sending are either handmade (knits) or US only. Apparently Carters hasn't made its way fully across the atlantic yet.
I think my new plan of attack is to piggy back anyone I know going back to the UK.

And on that note,
Soooo, anyone visiting England soon? ;P
Old Nov 20th 2014, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly the stuff I was sending are either handmade (knits) or US only. Apparently Carters hasn't made its way fully across the atlantic yet.
I think my new plan of attack is to piggy back anyone I know going back to the UK.

And on that note,
I like Carters but there are lots of cute British options for teeny-tiny clothes. I'm going over in Feb and taking some very lovely crocheted hats for nephew-chog who is almost the same age as babychog
Old Nov 20th 2014, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

a18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond repute

And on that note,
Won't help with the handmade goods, but maybe Carters Online will ship to UK at an all-in price better than you can post to UK. Probably not, but just another idea.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 5:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely order direct from UK sites.

If you're sending hand made stuff and the like, the way you did it is probably the cheapest option, unless the stuff is heavy and you can cram it into those pre-paid boxes, but they're not cheap so not worth it for clothes.

One to thing to watch out, when you do the customs forms, don't mention anything that's perfumed. My local office wouldn't accept a package to send without inspecting to see that the scent didn't contain any alcohol as they aren't allowed to send it.

Saying that, took the package to another post office and the person there processed it fine, but person at the next till was grilling some folks sending stuff to Ecuador.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for Amazon UK.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 5:25 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks

KK
Yep, just an hour ago I sent a UK gift package through our local US Post Office. $24.15 for 1 pound 14 oz. Highway robbery!

A booklet of 20 regular forever stamps was nearly $10 too, 49 cents each. When did US stamps become so expensive?
Old Nov 20th 2014, 6:16 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Cheapest way to send packages back to UK

My friend in New Jersey very kindly mailed a small jar of McCormick's Pumpkin Pie Spice to me on Monday (17 Nov) in Switzerland.....I'm having a few ex-US expats round next week for a Thanksgiving dinner and of course it's not an event held anywhere else apart from Canada. Apparently the counter staff at her local USPS Post Office were very surprised about that as they thought that every country sells Pumpkin Pie Spice mix

Anyway, the nice surprise was that the packet (an ultra lightweight small Jiffy bag) arrived today (20 Nov)

However I was shocked at the price of postage. It was labelled "First Class" and had an airmail sticker on: the item weighed 2oz and it cost $9.45 to send it! (She told me it would have been $30 for Express!)
Old Nov 20th 2014, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
A booklet of 20 regular forever stamps was nearly $10 too, 49 cents each. When did US stamps become so expensive?
First class postage in the UK is 62p, i.e. twice as expensive as the US!
Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:14 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
First class postage in the UK is 62p, i.e. twice as expensive as the US!
LOL, when did UK stamps get so expensive??? Am I wrong when I remember a first class stamp cost around 46p when we left the UK three years ago?

I guess postage is expensive in both countries. When we last lived in the USA in the 90s I remember a furor over a proposed increase of 4 cents, from 25 to 29 cents I think. IIRC, the increase did go through, spurring outrage....
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:09 pm
fsm
So I am where?

£0.97 for 10g, £1.28 for 20g, £2.15 for 60g from UK - US
$1.15 for 28g, $2.13 for 57g from US - UK

With exchange rates US is far cheaper than the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.