Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to call UK mobiles

Cheapest way to call UK mobiles

Old Jun 17th 2013, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Lit Up is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheapest way to call UK mobiles

I'm just wondering what the cheapest way to call UK mobiles is.

Skype? Google voice? phone cards?

I've got a US mobile (sim only, PAYG, 50 dollars for a month) with tmobile, which doesn't include intl rate. It's not on contract and I don't want US contract stuff as I don't live here (just travelling around).
Old Jun 17th 2013, 4:46 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapest way to call UK mobiles

Originally Posted by Lit Up
I'm just wondering what the cheapest way to call UK mobiles is.

Skype? Google voice? phone cards?

I've got a US mobile (sim only, PAYG, 50 dollars for a month) with tmobile, which doesn't include intl rate. It's not on contract and I don't want US contract stuff as I don't live here (just travelling around).
sign up for a voip account at sipgate.co.uk. Calls to mobiles are 5-7p a minute. Calls to landlines are 1p a minute. You can then use your phone (must be android or iOS) to use your SIP provider over 3G/LTE/WiFi
Old Jun 17th 2013, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Any cheap cellular option? In case I'm somewhere with shit reception
Old Jun 17th 2013, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Like, if the Internet isn't available
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:21 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lit Up
Like, if the Internet isn't available
www.goredpocket.com - they offer $2 credit each month towards international calls. A call back to a UK landline is 0.01c p/min, and a mobile is 0.010c p/min.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

chuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud of

www.localphone.com

With the USA registered account, they will provide local USA landline numbers that you can map to your UK mobile or landline numbers. You can call these local numbers with your registered US mobile. Calls costs are similar to SIPGate, but you don't need internet.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Google Voice isn't bad for prices to UK mobiles, ranging from about 10p to 16p I think. But you have the convenience of being able to use it from your cellphone and don't need any special equipment whatsoever.

If you have an android phone, it integrates seamlessly.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Seal2012 is on a distinguished road

I use Pingo http://www.pingo.com/
or
rebtel-
http://www.rebtel.com/

What Rebtel does is it gives a US number that you can call for the UK number- so you are only paying what you would pay for a call to anyone in the US
You enter in the uk number ex:
011 44 0000 400000
and it will give you a us# to use instead- so I would get a number like
1-646 000 0000
You get a US number for every UK number and you can text to them using that number as well.
You can use your cell phone, home phone- or designate other phones to call and use those numbers.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 1:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seal2012
I use Pingo http://www.pingo.com/
or
rebtel-
http://www.rebtel.com/

What Rebtel does is it gives a US number that you can call for the UK number- so you are only paying what you would pay for a call to anyone in the US
You enter in the uk number ex:
011 44 0000 400000
and it will give you a us# to use instead- so I would get a number like
1-646 000 0000
You get a US number for every UK number and you can text to them using that number as well.
You can use your cell phone, home phone- or designate other phones to call and use those numbers.
But you don't pay any premium for calling UK cell phone via a US shadow number? That doesn't sound right/ possible.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all for recommendations.

I am using mylocal phone, which is working out very good - 2p a minute to UK mobiles, 0.4p a minute to UK landlines.

I spent nearly an hour on the phone US mobile to UK mobile and it cost me all of £1.

It costs a few quid to set up a shadow UK number for people to call me on (and you pay to receive calls... pennies though), but mylocal phone has proved to be the best option here, where I cannot guarantee having access to internet.

Thanks very much everybody.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But you don't pay any premium for calling UK cell phone via a US shadow number? That doesn't sound right/ possible.
I pay .01 cents a minute for the UK cell phone- sometimes a landline is more- but thats all I pay!
with pingo I pay 1 1/2 cents for land line and for mobile- 5 1/2 cents because he uses the O2 service.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 5:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seal2012
I pay .01 cents a minute for the UK cell phone - .... .
.01 cents, or .01 dollars?
Old Jun 21st 2013, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
.01 cents, or .01 dollars?
Sorry! one cent- a hundredth of a dollar
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

+1 for rebel. If you use their call back service then it's free....me and my wife lived apart for almost a year and spoke on the phone for hours a day.....all free.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 10:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The cheapest way?

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.