Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cheaper supermarkets in SoCal - than Vons or Ralphs

Cheaper supermarkets in SoCal - than Vons or Ralphs

Old Feb 4th 2013, 11:36 am
Sunny Side

Saffysmom is on a distinguished road
Default Cheaper supermarkets in SoCal - than Vons or Ralphs

I'm moving to San Diego and was looking for something on the lines of Asda/Tesco , I found vons and Ralph's to be in expensive ,, any one else thought the same???
Old Feb 4th 2013, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheaper supermarkets in SoCal - than Vons or Ralphs

Yes, those two are a little more pricey. Stater Brothers is okay, not a huge selection but we get most of our shop from there. There are other small chains too like Food4Less, Smart&Final - and, of course, Walmart (Supercenters have more food).
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Saffysmom
I found vons and Ralph's to be in expensive
Sorry, I didn't quite understand your post.

I think Vons is more expensive than Ralphs. Ralphs is OK. Sprouts is good for veg - cheaper than Ralphs' veggies, but their other foods are a little too expensive so I buy veg at Sprouts and tins/meat from Ralphs. I've never shopped at Stater Bros or Albertsons so can't tell you about them either.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

If Ralphs is good enough for The Dude...
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:15 pm
Sunny Side

Saffysmom is on a distinguished road

Sorry typo error meant to say expensive , vons more than Ralph's
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Trader Joe's is quite a bit cheaper than those two in our area.

I think Costco is more like ASDA, I'm not a member myself but a lot of people swear by them.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:36 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

I think Costco is more like ASDA, I'm not a member myself but a lot of people swear by them.
I think Costco only works if you have a large family. It's certainly cheaper if you are feeding 4+ people, but not cost effective for a smaller family due to the size of the packs you have to buy, too much wastage for us.

I find Fresh and Easy cheaper than the others in the area.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

MattySD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by N1cky
...I find Fresh and Easy cheaper than the others in the area...
So do I, however they are not doing too well at the moment and may close in the next few months. There are rumours that Aldi are coming to SoCal - that will shake things up a bit down here!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MattySD
So do I, however they are not doing too well at the moment and may close in the next few months. There are rumours that Aldi are coming to SoCal - that will shake things up a bit down here!
Oooh, I love Aldi! That would be fun.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think Costco only works if you have a large family. It's certainly cheaper if you are feeding 4+ people, but not cost effective for a smaller family due to the size of the packs you have to buy, too much wastage for us.

I find Fresh and Easy cheaper than the others in the area.
I'm so bloody lazy I still haven't made it to Fresh and Easy.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:55 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattySD
Yes, I'll be really sad if they go, I do the majority of my shopping there. I was pleased to see the store was packed yesterday, hopefully they'll survive.

I'm so bloody lazy I still haven't made it to Fresh and Easy.
No doubt you'll go the week before they close and love it. Then you'll be pissed off that you can't get crunchy pickled onions again.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No doubt you'll go the week before they close and love it. Then you'll be pissed off that you can't get crunchy pickled onions again.
Maybe I'll leave it then - a taste of honey is worse than none at all
Old Feb 4th 2013, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

movingonhome is an unknown quantity at this point

Trader Joe's is fantastic, good quality at reasonable prices. You may not be able to do all of your shop there, but you will be able to find most things.

There are also several farmers' markets for produce.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 5:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Those bulk stores, unless you're getting electronics for the warranty, they're only really worth using if you've got kids that still shit themselves or are on formula...

Trade Joes is generally really good, fresh fruit/veg can be a bit hit or miss depending on the seasons though.

Do you guys have Wegmans out your way? That's a good grocery store.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by movingonhome
Trader Joe's is fantastic, good quality at reasonable prices. You may not be able to do all of your shop there, but you will be able to find most things.

There are also several farmers' markets for produce.
Originally Posted by Bob
Those bulk stores, unless you're getting electronics for the warranty, they're only really worth using if you've got kids that still shit themselves or are on formula...

Trade Joes is generally really good, fresh fruit/veg can be a bit hit or miss depending on the seasons though.

Do you guys have Wegmans out your way? That's a good grocery store.
Yes I get almost everything at TJ's now. I know what you mean about the produce, but that has been better lately. Also no stupid coupons/flyers/loyalty cards.

We don't have Wegmans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.