Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cheap Universities In VA

Cheap Universities In VA

Old Jul 17th 2005, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice
Default Cheap Universities In VA

Hi
Does anyone know of any cheap universities in VA that offer master degrees? I'd be paying international tuition so the cheaper the better. thanks
Old Jul 17th 2005, 4:09 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap Universities In VA

Originally Posted by Brodel
Hi
Does anyone know of any cheap universities in VA that offer master degrees? I'd be paying international tuition so the cheaper the better. thanks
If this is serious, it would be helpful to know which subject you wish to major in. Also, why are you restricting yourself to VA?

NC Penguin
Old Jul 17th 2005, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice

I am currently at University in Canada with my American girlfriend, it is starting to cost too much and she wants to do a masters in Psychology which costs more. She is a VA resident so wants to move back to take her masters because it is cheaper. I want to see if it is possible to move down with her but as I would be paying international fees and tuition tends to cost quite a lot more in the US than in Canada I am having trouble finding anywhere I could afford.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

I am currently at University in Canada with my American girlfriend, it is starting to cost too much and she wants to do a masters in Psychology which costs more. She is a VA resident so wants to move back to take her masters because it is cheaper. I want to see if it is possible to move down with her but as I would be paying international fees and tuition tends to cost quite a lot more in the US than in Canada I am having trouble finding anywhere I could afford.
Isn't this a case of "what you gain on the swing boats, you lose on the roundabout"?
Old Jul 17th 2005, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bionomique
Isn't this a case of "what you gain on the swing boats, you lose on the roundabout"?
how do you mean?

The cheapest I can find so far seem to be Radford or VCU which are around $20,000 a year which is too much for me.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 4:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Your girlfriend kept her residency in VA? have to normally be resident in a state for a while before getting local tuition fee's, even for a yank...
Old Jul 17th 2005, 4:46 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

how do you mean?

The cheapest I can find so far seem to be Radford or VCU which are around $20,000 a year which is too much for me.

VSU in Petersburg?
Old Jul 17th 2005, 4:50 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

If you pick the right subject, you might be able to get it for free. So, <rolling dice> what's your subject?

(BTW, she won't get hers for free.)
Old Jul 17th 2005, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

how do you mean?
Just analysing the situation ~ she's facing an international tuition rate in your country, so she wants to return to a domestic University. You, wishing to be with her once she returns to USA, will then face the international tuition rate yourself!

As an academic, one selects the best University for one's practice area. Not that tuition rate does not come into play, but it wouldn't be my first priority.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Yea, she still has her residency? is there some situation where they take it from you or something? She was born in America and has only been in Canada for University otherwise she lives at home in VA, they wouldn't take it away from you for that would they?
I'm from the UK so it isnt quite "what you gain on the swing boats, you lose on the roundabout" sorry I didnt mention that earlier.

I looked at VSU, it is around 18,000 which is a little better but still too much for me. Thanks for the suggestion though

My subject has been Anthropology so far but I am still in a position to change because I am not as far down the degree path as she is, of course if free ones come into play they could be possible lol. which ones are free and how do they work, just out of interest?
Old Jul 17th 2005, 5:29 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, she still has her residency? is there some situation where they take it from you or something? She was born in America and has only been in Canada for University otherwise she lives at home in VA, they wouldn't take it away from you for that would they?
I'm from the UK so it isnt quite "what you gain on the swing boats, you lose on the roundabout" sorry I didnt mention that earlier.

I looked at VSU, it is around 18,000 which is a little better but still too much for me. Thanks for the suggestion though

My subject has been Anthropology so far but I am still in a position to change because I am not as far down the degree path as she is, of course if free ones come into play they could be possible lol. which ones are free and how do they work, just out of interest?

VSU is predominately black-you might be able to get a scholarship you know.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:00 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Anthropology won't be free. BTW, she may have to retake a whole bunch of stuff when she changes univerisity. As for residency, different states (sometimes different university systems within the state) have their own rules. They tend to look at stuff such as how mich of the previous xxx years has been spent in state, who they pay taxes to, whether the primary purpose of the student's stay is to go to uni, etc... If she still has a VA driving license, she'll *probably* be OK.

As for free subjects, think mostly straight science - chemistry, physics, etc... Biology is usually partially paid. There are also a few more vocational subjects that might attract sponsorship, but it sounds like this would all be a big change of direction for you. So, $$$$ it is.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Anthropology won't be free. BTW, she may have to retake a whole bunch of stuff when she changes univerisity. As for residency, different states (sometimes different university systems within the state) have their own rules. They tend to look at stuff such as how mich of the previous xxx years has been spent in state, who they pay taxes to, whether the primary purpose of the student's stay is to go to uni, etc... If she still has a VA driving license, she'll *probably* be OK.

As for free subjects, think mostly straight science - chemistry, physics, etc... Biology is usually partially paid. There are also a few more vocational subjects that might attract sponsorship, but it sounds like this would all be a big change of direction for you. So, $$$$ it is.
yea, oh well.
She has no worries about credit transfers etc, were old hands at the university processes unfortunately. as for residency, she has only been out for as much as 4months at a time, has a driving lisence, and it's where her home address is so she should be fine.

Last edited by Brodel; Jul 17th 2005 at 7:44 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:47 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
"Cheap university" is an oxymoron.

No offense, but your plan doesn't sound very well thought-out.

First, if you think $20k/year is too expensive for someone who is coming as an international/out-of-state student, you might as well give up now.

Second, there is so much more to it than price. Most of it will depend on where you -- and she -- can get accepted into a master's program. One of my close college friends majored in psychology at the University of Richmond, was an honors student and everything, and she got rejected from almost every program she applied to. She eventually got into George Mason University's master's program, and while it wasn't her first choice she took it because she didn't really have any other options. This was back in 1995; I have no idea what it's like now.

What happens if you get accepted to University A but your girlfriend gets accepted to University B -- and they're 200 miles apart?

Also, I'm hoping that the quality of education you might receive is a bigger priority than the cost of tuition and whether you can live near your girlfriend. Radford may be cheap, but it's not known as the Party School of Virginia for nothing.

VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University) is a good school generally but then I don't know what it's like for your areas of study. VSU (Virginia State University) and VUU (Virginia Union University) are not known for their academic prowess.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 17th 2005, 8:29 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Save all the time and expense ... buy a mail order one here ...
http://www.fakedegrees.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.