Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cheap Music Downloads from Russia

Wikiposts

Cheap Music Downloads from Russia

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:48 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap Music Downloads from Russia

Originally Posted by Eskimo
total bollox ....I live in box, you live in a house that you worked for so I'm gonna rob you cos you are hardly a pauper ..how's that fair
Especially given that you're living in the us you should know that life in general is slanted towards the rich and powerful, be they individuals or corporations. I see nothing wrong with the little guy getting a little bit back as long as no-one gets hurt (so robbery is out the window in that case).
And anyway, life isn't fair.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Especially given that you're living in the us you should know that life in general is slanted towards the rich and powerful, be they individuals or corporations. I see nothing wrong with the little guy getting a little bit back as long as no-one gets hurt (so robbery is out the window in that case).
And anyway, life isn't fair.
I pay huge insurance premuims every year - might fake a few claims - is that OK ? everyone else can pick up the tab
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Obviously in the US both these are non-starters (the ebay bloke vanished anyway) so I've been investigating alternative methods. I've come across a few russian sites which seem to take advantage of non-existant russian copyright laws such as http://MusicMp3.Ru. They charge about 50 cents per album.
First thing, is it legal to download music from these sites in the US.
Secondly, has anyone used these sites before - obviously I'm a bit wary of giving some russian criminals my credit card info but I've been unable to find any bad reviews on the net following a brief search.
i've a mate that's used them in the UK to get some tunes, paypal to pay and was alright...

as for legal...I think the download isn't the problem in this country, but the uploading that you share for other people that gets you in trouble when file sharing, technically, so this should be legal...
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waxwabbit
I believe Branson made it for himself, but I also belive his family are minted, so who knows if he got any help...................................
The folks gave him the money to start the mail order business...
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
The folks gave him the money to start the mail order business...
IIRC, Sir Richard borrowed some money from his folks. Not a huge amount, just enough to buy stock. Not much different that borrowing it from NatWest, just easier to apply, and far worse if you can't pay it back.

He went to Stowe, which indicates his family were at least comfortable.

BUT - he did make it on his own. He used his initiative, saw gaps in the market and has reaped the rewards. Good on him. A shining example. Just look at Virgin Mobile here. He may have borrowed a couple of £k at the outset, but that was only 30 years ago. Now he is a billionaire. Who says he didnt make it on his own?

His book, "Losing my Virginity" was most excellent, I couldnt put it down.

"Screw it, let's do it". A motto I have used since I read his book. Now I have a far better life over here than I had before. It works for me!

Any Branson knockers will get short shrift from me! (Not Mrs Branson's knockers!)
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 5:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Roadster280
IIRC, Sir Richard borrowed some money from his folks. Not a huge amount, just enough to buy stock. Not much different that borrowing it from NatWest, just easier to apply, and far worse if you can't pay it back.

BUT - he did make it on his own. He used his initiative, saw gaps in the market and has reaped the rewards. Good on him. A shining example. Just look at Virgin Mobile here. He may have borrowed a couple of £k at the outset, but that was only 30 years ago. Now he is a billionaire. Who says he didnt make it on his own?
Yeah, he's done well, and not a bad bloke...but lets face it, how many people would get money from a bank by venturing into a new market straight out of school with nothing behind them?
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadster280

His book, "Losing my Virginity" was most excellent, I couldnt put it down.

"Screw it, let's do it". A motto I have used since I read his book. Now I have a far better life over here than I had before. It works for me!

Any Branson knockers will get short shrift from me! (Not Mrs Branson's knockers!)

Really enjoyed the book too - but as you would expect quite biaised and one sided - and some big gaps and jumps in there too!

Top bloke though who has obviously been hugely successful!