British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cheap Flights Volume Two (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cheap-flights-volume-two-209489/)

sundavies Feb 11th 2004 1:44 pm

Cheap Flights Volume Two

I'm now looking for a cheap flight to Los Angeles ( the 'free' flight voucher I have is actually going to cost me £290 !!!)

The lowest I've got so far is around £280 - does anyone know of any offers that anyone is running right now ?

I want to fly on or around the 18th March and come back around 6th Apri

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Fiona

Expat_Wannabe Feb 11th 2004 2:38 pm

Sure you've tried it already, but ebookers is quite good, as it lets you look at the surrounding days (in a grid) to see if leaving on a different day/time would be cheaper. It also lists all the major airlines.

(People are probably tired of hearing this, but I booked a direct LA flight through ebookers for Thanksgiving at a bargain rate of £150 including tax! Sorry, can't stop gloating over their cockup!)

Englishmum Feb 11th 2004 3:10 pm

You have to be very careful when booking with eBookers. It's all run from a call centre in India and if you need to change your flight for any reason there is basically no chance of getting any help from them. Just 'google' around on the UK air newsgroups and you will see reports about eBookers.

Quite often you're better off going directly to the airlines own websites eg. virgin atlantic currently has some special offers. However, prices do rise a lot after Easter (which is early this year).

Also give http://www.opodo.co.uk a try and http://www.farebuster.co.uk

Hope this helps. :)

PS: Fiona - what is this 'free flight voucher' you mentioned and why will it cost you 290 GBP?

Englishmum Feb 11th 2004 3:13 pm

PS. Expat Wannabee - if you travel on the actual day of a major holiday, prices are always markedly lower. This is probably why your fare at Thanksgiving was so cheap.

It's always much cheaper to fly on Christmas Day compared to Christmas Eve or the preceeding few days; people want to get to their destination for family/major holidays, not travel on the actual day unless it's a very short journey.

Then again, British Airways had a computer blunder one day last year and were having to honour tickets at giveaway prices.

Expat_Wannabe Feb 11th 2004 3:16 pm

Hum, never had any problems with ebookers and that included booking a multi-stop trip around North and South America. I found with that ticket, I dealt directly with the airline (Continental) if I needed to change any part of the ticket. I changed my travel dates twice and wasn't charged for either change. The way I understood it, ebookers sell you the ticket and hand over responsibility to the airline.

www.cheapflights.co.uk is also quite good, but it doesn't sell tickets, it just lists the best prices.

Expat_Wannabe Feb 11th 2004 3:19 pm

Originally posted by Englishmum
PS. Expat Wannabee - if you travel on the actual day of a major holiday, prices are always markedly lower. This is probably why your fare at Thanksgiving was so cheap.

It's always much cheaper to fly on Christmas Day compared to Christmas Eve or the preceeding few days; people want to get to their destination for family/major holidays, not travel on the actual day unless it's a very short journey.

Then again, British Airways had a computer blunder one day last year and were having to honour tickets at giveaway prices.
No, think it was a blunder, as I rang up to check the ticket and the guy came back on the line to tell me that the £90 fare (before tax) was an error and that I would no longer be able to book it online. So I promptly put my details in and got the ticket :) I've heard of Amazon not honouring their glitches, not sure what rights you get in these kind of cases!

I actually flew in the Friday before Thanksgiving, is that usually more or less expensive?

sundavies Feb 11th 2004 3:20 pm

[
PS: Fiona - what is this 'free flight voucher' you mentioned and why will it cost you 290 GBP? [/QUOTE]

My Dad had saved tokens out of the Daily Mail for a free flight voucher - but there was £59 airport tax to pay, then another £149 onwards to LA (from Atlanta) plus another £85 to fly from Manchester. Its a good deal if you want to go to any of the four cities mentioned, but flying onwards can cost more than starting afresh - if you get what I mean !!!!

Fiona

dudleydowg Feb 11th 2004 3:59 pm

Re: Cheap Flights Volume Two

Originally posted by sundavies
I'm now looking for a cheap flight to Los Angeles ( the 'free' flight voucher I have is actually going to cost me £290 !!!)

The lowest I've got so far is around £280 - does anyone know of any offers that anyone is running right now ?

I want to fly on or around the 18th March and come back around 6th Apri

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Fiona

Try http://www.travellersweb.com I have found them most reasonable and easy to use:)

doctor scrumpy Feb 11th 2004 4:06 pm

The Daily Mail 'free flight' offers have ALWAYS been done with a massive catch attached.

shona66 Feb 11th 2004 7:11 pm

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
The Daily Mail 'free flight' offers have ALWAYS been done with a massive catch attached.

Dont know if anyone has posted this but there is flight offer in the Daily Express. Fly for £10, and pay the airport tax on top. From about £70 return to New York, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta and Washingtonif you wanna fly from Heathrow, Gatwick or Glasgow Need to collect 30 tokens . if you buy it tomorrow you will have enough (ast token 12th March).Offers are valid for travel between October 16th 2004 and March 2005.Need to state 3 different preferred months of travel. Anyway just thought I'd post it. Not sure of ant catches but might be worth a look.

Shona

datcha Feb 11th 2004 7:23 pm

Re: Cheap Flights Volume Two

We've used unijetflights quite often and had some really good prices.

In fact, I've just this morning booked 2 tickets for my parents to fly out here in March for a couple of weeks. LHR > LAX = 273 pounds each =)

Cheers,
David.

JeanDupont Feb 12th 2004 5:42 pm

I've found www.traveljungle.com pretty good - you have to make sure you are on the right nationality of their site before you search as each site searches different airlines. Just click on the US / UK/ German flag.
I don't book on there but use the info they show and go to the airline concerned.
I looked at the Daily Express offer but the catch for me was that you could not be sure you would get the destination or date you wanted - and what's more you could only book 1 seat at a time - each application is dealt with separately and if 2 people wanted to travel together on the same date and to the same destination then there was no real hope of using the cheap offer for both tickets.

mcjimbo Feb 13th 2004 1:42 pm

Try www.eookers.com they have some great flights.

www.lastminute.com are also pretty good, as well as www.travelocity.co.uk

Hope these help

James

jaytee Feb 13th 2004 2:08 pm

just tried www.traveljungle.com + http://www.unijetflights.com/ and I can still book directly from www.sidestep.com fares which are almost $200 cheaper and are real prices (include all $107 or more worth of taxes + security fees)

the only thing about installing the sidestep program is that it puts spyware on your pc, but if you want to use the free program I guess that's the price you pay. I still like it because it enables me to keep an eye on the fares across the major airlines with one click.

March 23rd to April 22 BHX to LGW

Flight Details:

Roundtrip flight 447.07/person
Outbound Flight Duration Miles

Operated by partner airline.
US Airways Flight 2764
1hr 14mn 352mi
Departs: 4:59P 3/23
Birmingham (BHM)
Arrives: 7:13P 3/23
Charlotte (CLT)
Aircraft: Embraer RJ135/RJ145 (Jet) Meal: N/A