British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   cheap flights to LHR for next june? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cheap-flights-lhr-next-june-342770/)

silvermine Dec 14th 2005 2:54 pm

cheap flights to LHR for next june?

just priced out an aer lingus BOS-LHR via Shannon for june 15, return june 22 at us$664 all incl.
same dates non stop BOS-LHR on BA about $850:eek: yikes!

jamjar Dec 14th 2005 3:21 pm

Re: cheap flights to LHR for next june?

Originally Posted by silvermine
just priced out an aer lingus BOS-LHR via Shannon for june 15, return june 22 at us$664 all incl.
same dates non stop BOS-LHR on BA about $850:eek: yikes!

Double Check the flight details --- I bet that stops in Dublin as well as Shannon. My Mum flew over on Aer Lingus last summer. Itinerary only showed the stop in Shannon but they stopped in Dublin too on both flights.

Manc Dec 14th 2005 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by jamjar
Double Check the flight details --- I bet that stops in Dublin as well as Shannon. My Mum flew over on Aer Lingus last summer. Itinerary only showed the stop in Shannon but they stopped in Dublin too on both flights.

even better, more Guiness time.

BigDavyG Dec 14th 2005 3:25 pm

Yep, they'll stop in dublin first, then shannon, then london.
You'd be better off flying to dublin then taking ryanair or someone else onto london - will save you about 3 hours.

Aer Lingus are cheap, but they are also nasty, so be warned.

jamjar Dec 14th 2005 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
even better, more Guiness time.

There is always that. :) And plenty of it 'cos it ends up taking between 11 and 13 hrs instead of the typical 7 to 8 hrs for a nonstop.

Manc Dec 14th 2005 3:34 pm

There is always that. :) And plenty of it 'cos it ends up taking between 11 and 13 hrs instead of the typical 7 to 8 hrs for a nonstop.

first time I ever flew to the States when I was 19 I went Aer Lingus

I was completely ratarsed.

Manc Dec 14th 2005 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Yep, they'll stop in dublin first, then shannon, then london.

doubt it,
They'll stop in Shannon first, then Dublin, then London.

jamjar Dec 14th 2005 3:42 pm

first time I ever flew to the States when I was 19 I went Aer Lingus

I was completely ratarsed.

Who was it that said "It's not the destination but how you get there" ? :D

BigDavyG Dec 14th 2005 3:44 pm

doubt it,
They'll stop in Shannon first, then Dublin, then London.

Nope, bizarely they don't.
I usually fly aer lingus home, admitedly from chicago, but it always goes to dublin first. The only people who ever fly on to shannon are generally yanks going to the west of ireland who have no idea that it would be better to get off in dublin as you can drive out west in the time it takes the plane to land then head back out.
I always thought it was well strange but it is true.
Interestingly its the same flying in the us - you get on in shannon, then fly to dublin, then on to the states.

I have no idea why they continue to use shannon airport - its a historical thing i guess

I guess that's the irish for you :confused:

jamjar Dec 14th 2005 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
no idea why they continue to use shannon airport - its a historical thing i guess

I guess that's the irish for you :confused:

When you're flying to the States don't you clear US Customs and Immigration in Shannon?

silvermine Dec 14th 2005 3:52 pm

yep it does but looks like goes to shannon then dublin. switch planes at shannon for heathrow. in reverse on the way back.

they're running A330 airbuses transatl now...
for a family it would be quite a savings on the price...

Manc Dec 14th 2005 3:53 pm

They have been for over 10 years.

BigDavyG Dec 14th 2005 3:56 pm

When you're flying to the States don't you clear US Customs and Immigration in Shannon?

You can do it in dublin now too then you just breeze straight through when you land in the us

BigDavyG Dec 14th 2005 4:00 pm

yep it does but looks like goes to shannon then dublin. switch planes at shannon for heathrow. in reverse on the way back.

Seriously - it will go to dublin, then shannon. I am willing to guarantee this fact as I am so sure of it.
98% of the flight will get off in dublin - that's why they go there first, so prepare yourself for a long flight.
American and continental are the only airlines that i've seen who can compete with aer lingus on price on a consistent basis.

jamjar Dec 14th 2005 4:11 pm

Yeah about 18 months ago we wanted to fly back to Manchester. Flying through Gatwick instead of nonstop to Manchester ended up saving us about $1000 (there's 5 of us) But I have to say it ended up being a real pain in the arse. The flight into Gatwick was late so we missed the connection to Manchester. (but not until after we had run through two terminals with 3 kids, car seat, stroller etc. :( ) We ended up having to wait 6 hours for another flight to Manchester. Thankfully BA gave us passes to the executive lounge/club thingy which surprisingly had a great playroom. But in hindsight I'd rather have paid the extra money for a nonstop flight.