Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cheap flights

Cheap flights

Old Apr 7th 2011, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

CandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really nice
Default Re: Cheap flights

Back to the OP - AirCanada are amazing. My hubby and I like to fly with them everytime we go trans.... Really nice planes, good service. Brilliant!
Old Apr 8th 2011, 12:27 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Have you looked at flying into Newcastle instead? I flew Detroit to Amsterdam to Newcastle in both Feb and March because it was over a $100 per ticket. Before that I always got the better deals flying into Teeside too.
Yeah, I always run all 3 - Teesside (ahem Durham Tees Valley International if you please!!), Newcastle and Leeds/Bradford - they're all pretty handy for my mums, and sometimes theres a few bucks difference. All things being equal, MME is the preference as its the closest and normally has the best connection, but theres not a lot in it. In any event, even when we buy MME tickets we often end up going thru NCL or LBF because of weather....
Old Apr 8th 2011, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flbrit59
l didn't even know they did transatlantic flights,that was new to me. Anyhow,the flight is being operated by Air Canada (with a BMI flight number) l've heard Air Canada are pretty good to fly with too,but l've never flown with them
We flew the LHR - Toronto route when we moved here in '08, they have a fleet of new planes so it was pretty nice on board as I recall, you can clear US customs in Toronto and buy yourself some maple syrup to take home
Old Apr 8th 2011, 1:08 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

When ever I have flown domestic with Air Canada they have been like flying air raid shelters, and the only time I flew to the UK from Calgary the plane could not take off (no fault of Air Canada, snow) ended up in a plush hotel freebie for the night

Last edited by Poppy girl; Apr 8th 2011 at 1:54 am.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 1:32 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
they have been like flying air raid shelters, :
broken concrete, rusty corrugated iron and smelling of pee ?

Ever thought of going into marketing
Old Apr 8th 2011, 1:54 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
broken concrete, rusty corrugated iron and smelling of pee ?

Ever thought of going into marketing
Funnily enough thats my profession
Old Apr 8th 2011, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

flbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
We flew the LHR - Toronto route when we moved here in '08, they have a fleet of new planes so it was pretty nice on board as I recall, you can clear US customs in Toronto and buy yourself some maple syrup to take home
ok that's good, l was wondering whether l'd have to go through customs and immigration twice...in Canada and again at Nashville..so that answers that
Old Apr 8th 2011, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

flbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonrob
Well, no - it's an Air Canada flight that has a Bmi codeshare arrangement.

Anyway, I was wondering as I've seen cases where "mistake" fares appear online for a short time - particularly where there is a connection involved, multiple carriers (which there isn't in this case) and also significant taxes/fees. Something to do with buggering up which carriers handles the fees. It looks like this is not the case in this instance through.

Had you been watching this specific routing before? (i.e. did this journey cost about $800 or more before and suddenly came down, or was this routing option one which was just recently added?)

Just asking because sometimes understanding the mechanics of these things can help others find cheaper fares through routings that they wouldn't have ordinarily considered.
yes l've been watching the fares since before xmas and l couldn't find anything less than $800 and then last week,the price dropped to $721 on a couple of sites,then a big drop yesterday on Vayama and fly.com...other sites are still showing the same flights for various prices between $721 and $800
l couldn't believe my luck,getting it for $480,that's cheaper than the fare l paid 2 yrs ago with Northwest and l thought l got a pretty good deal that time.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I actually did that. I bought tickets through Vayama for our trip this summer, but it was weird in that it took about 10 days before Vayama took the money out of our account. I didn't wait that long before I went on the airlines website and used the confirmation code and saw that we were booked on flights and was able to choose seating on the domestic flights.
l've checked both the Air Canada site and the BMI site,with the confirmation codes and it shows that l'm booked on both flights. I haven't yet been able to reserve a specific seat though..Air Canada says that l can't do it online,as l booked through a third party site,but l can do it if l call their reservations dept by phone
Old Apr 8th 2011, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Still up over 1300 for houston to london at Christmas

Looks like we're going to be going with KLM again into Teesside for a little over 1000
I was hoping to go at xmas but the fare jumped up by another $100-$150 the closer that it got to xmas,so l settled for the last 2 weeks in Nov.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

l've checked both the Air Canada site and the BMI site,with the confirmation codes and it shows that l'm booked on both flights. I haven't yet been able to reserve a specific seat though..Air Canada says that l can't do it online,as l booked through a third party site,but l can do it if l call their reservations dept by phone
The flights I booked through Vayama (Philly to Dublin with a connection in Boston) are handled domestically by US Airways and then internationally by Aer Lingus. I was able to book our seats online with US Airways, but not with Aer Lingus. I've found in the past that you can't book seats on international flights online....

Btw, I got a really good deal with Vayama as well. Was searching for cheaper ways to get over to the UK (final destination is going to be Greece though) and looked further than where we live (Seattle) Its a hodge podge affair, to be sure, but even booking flights from Seattle to Philly, it still worked out $1k cheaper than a flight connecting domestically and landing in London.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 4:23 am

I was hoping to go at xmas but the fare jumped up by another $100-$150 the closer that it got to xmas,so l settled for the last 2 weeks in Nov.
yeah, unfortunately we're tied by the kids school holidays.....suppose I could always leave them at home and let them find out the truth about santa the hard way.......
Old Apr 8th 2011, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
The flights I booked through Vayama (Philly to Dublin with a connection in Boston) are handled domestically by US Airways and then internationally by Aer Lingus. I was able to book our seats online with US Airways, but not with Aer Lingus. I've found in the past that you can't book seats on international flights online....

Btw, I got a really good deal with Vayama as well. Was searching for cheaper ways to get over to the UK (final destination is going to be Greece though) and looked further than where we live (Seattle) Its a hodge podge affair, to be sure, but even booking flights from Seattle to Philly, it still worked out $1k cheaper than a flight connecting domestically and landing in London.
Excellent. I'd never heard of Vayama before,l was directed there by Kayak to book the flights. Another site to look for in the future,when l'm checking fares..l'm well chuffed !
Old Apr 8th 2011, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

yeah, unfortunately we're tied by the kids school holidays.....suppose I could always leave them at home and let them find out the truth about santa the hard way.......
Yeh that's a bummer...luckily l don't have that problem..tell them the government cancelled christmas this year..lol
Old Apr 8th 2011, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Still up over 1300 for houston to london at Christmas

Looks like we're going to be going with KLM again into Teesside for a little over 1000
Probably not much help to u,as you're wanting to go at xmas but l just saw a flight on the "deals" page (page 10) at Vayama,advertising Houston-London for $566 inc taxes/fees but u have to fly by July 31

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.