British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cheap flights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cheap-flights-240642/)

doctor scrumpy Jul 6th 2004 11:02 pm

Cheap flights

OK I know this is a reoccuring theme, but anyone know a good site for getting cheap air fares back to the UK ? Looking to go early December for 10 days or so.

Jan Alaska Jul 6th 2004 11:05 pm

doc look at British Airways ... for the last couple of years they've had flights for $99 each way + taxes

Good luck !

Jan :)

Steff Jul 6th 2004 11:27 pm

Originally posted by jan_michigan
doc look at British Airways ... for the last couple of years they've had flights for $99 each way + taxes

Good luck !

Jan :)
$99!!!!!!! What city was that from?

effi Jul 7th 2004 5:08 am

Originally posted by Steff
$99!!!!!!! What city was that from?
We did it from AZ last year.

resu Jul 7th 2004 9:22 am

I heard a BA advertisement on the radio the other day -- they have special offers to New York and other big cities in the U.S. right now.

I'm looking for a cheap cheap flight for my girlfriend to come and visit me in Sweden next year (June). Any city in Denmark or Sweden or even London would be fine.. as long as it's cheap. I've heard about people flying for around $500 before but that seems impossible to find now.

Are there any low fare firms flying U.S. - Europe? Student discounts?

Ola

doctor scrumpy Jul 7th 2004 11:10 am

Bloody Students & their discounts, leave the ranks of the unwashed & get a proper job ya soap dodger ! :D:D:D

xam Jul 16th 2004 10:57 pm

Re: Cheap flights

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
OK I know this is a reoccuring theme, but anyone know a good site for getting cheap air fares back to the UK ? Looking to go early December for 10 days or so.

dunno abt $99 fares but i just got a return JFK-MAN on Dec 23 for 507..

britchicknyc Jul 16th 2004 11:19 pm

Re: Cheap flights

I am going back to the UK for Christmas and I got a super fare of $350 including tax on BA from NYC.

Tips:

www.qixo.com

www.sidestep.com

www.autoeurope.com (car rental agencies but have been know to have super cheap flights to Europe too! I once got $270 from NYC to LON)

www.travelaxe.com

Plus always check the airline websites. My flight on BA was actually booked on www.aa.com - strange huh! I'll take the bargains anyway I can find them!

Let me know if you find a bargain!!

jaytee Jul 21st 2004 9:06 am

Continental slashes fares

Continental just slashed their fares to $445, ATL to LGW.

britchicknyc Jul 21st 2004 9:48 am

BA have a sale for the fall from $89 each way - you can't beat that!

jaytee Jul 21st 2004 10:28 am

Originally posted by britchicknyc
BA have a sale for the fall from $89 each way - you can't beat that!

$47.50 extra each way to leave from and return to Atlanta is a great deal.

doctor scrumpy Jul 21st 2004 11:03 am

Leave yes, but why return ? :D

tinaflorida Jul 21st 2004 2:28 pm

BA has deals on again now. Back in November we booked flights to go from Tampa direct to Gatwick for two weeks this past May. Price? Less than $400 per person return, including all taxes.

ironporer Jul 21st 2004 2:35 pm

Originally posted by jaytee
$47.50 extra each way to leave from and return to Atlanta is a great deal.
I searched and searched for deals out of ATl...where/when did you find that? The best I could find was $129.

AmerLisa Jul 21st 2004 2:45 pm

So what kind of deals can you find coming the other way? My daughter lives in the UK and she's coming home for Christmas. And I know I'll end up paying for her ticket. :rolleyes: What kind of deals can I find the other way, does anyone know?

doctor scrumpy Jul 21st 2004 3:08 pm

Swim for $ 0 !

Don't think they are that bothered, problem is Yanks still scared of going overseas.

Yosser Jul 21st 2004 4:55 pm

Ok...ok $89 each way.....so thats $178 (IF your leaving from the East coast!)....Plus tax's etc....If your central, its still about $500.00:eek:

AA just dropped there prices, looks like I'm going back for my birthday in September, another bonus will be, that I have enough airmiles with AA for a free flight next summer.

doctor scrumpy Jul 21st 2004 4:58 pm

Wife & I are going to the UK for $ 312.50 each in December. Early than that can be dearer.

Dant3 Jul 21st 2004 5:22 pm

During the 3 years that my wife and I had a transatlantic relationship, we always used Priceline.com.

I noticed them advertising a lot more on TV before I left England and I suspect that they're not the bargain they used to be. But up until last summer, we were still getting return flights from Los Angeles to Heathrow (or vice versa) for less than $350 each, and that was peak season with no transfers.. The couple of times we travelled from Heathrow to New York, it was less than $150.

I've never seen these under $100 prices everyone is talking about, but I'm going to start looking!

JAMES

Ash UK/US Jul 21st 2004 6:18 pm

Has anyone ever used this sight before?

www.skyauctions.com

Loos like some good deals... I have never tried doing it this way though.

Ash :)

Ash UK/US Jul 21st 2004 6:20 pm

Also if you can't get any good sales with BA etc try this site... they have some quite good fares.

www.bt-store.com

Ash :)

jaytee Jul 23rd 2004 1:04 pm

Originally posted by ironporer
I searched and searched for deals out of ATl...where/when did you find that? The best I could find was $129.
When I posted that a few days ago, Continental was $445 ATL to Gatwick with the stop in Newark, but that fare is no longer available on sidestep.com .. I tried to alert everyone to the deal before it disappeared.

tinaflorida Jul 23rd 2004 2:46 pm

Eww, I hate Newark Airport! I was stuck there for five hours once...

Doesn't Delta fly direct from Atlanta to Gatwick? They usually have some good deals going.

britchicknyc Jul 23rd 2004 3:36 pm

$280 inc tax from east coast on BA in Novemeber.:D

jaytee Jul 27th 2004 8:04 am

Originally posted by tinaflorida
Eww, I hate Newark Airport! I was stuck there for five hours once...

Doesn't Delta fly direct from Atlanta to Gatwick? They usually have some good deals going.
Delta and BA both

I'm with you on disliking Newark. That airport drives a lot of people up the wall. I've personally seen and felt the frustration in the slow customer service line at Newark. If you've got time for an extra day's stopover, hours of delays both ways and baggage arriving later in the week of your trip, it's not so bad for a rock bottom fare.

jaytee Jul 27th 2004 8:31 am

Fly from Atlanta to Gatwick - $412

Originally posted by britchicknyc
$280 inc tax from east coast on BA in Novemeber.:D

Orbitz.com is currently offering $412 RT with Northwest for November, ATL to LGW with stop in Detroit.