Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cheap calls to UK

Cheap calls to UK

Old Jul 26th 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap calls to UK

I just buy a $20 dollar MCI card from Costco. Gives me 180 minutes to call the U.K. They also have a $30 dollar international MCI card, but I am yet to try that one to see how much better it is than the regular one.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose that cable that runs from my house to the neighbors outside terminal box does quite well in keeping my bills less than $20 a month..
Old Jul 26th 2005, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I just buy a $20 dollar MCI card from Costco. Gives me 180 minutes to call the U.K. They also have a $30 dollar international MCI card, but I am yet to try that one to see how much better it is than the regular one.
Go to Onesuite.com and buy their card for $20. There is no connection fee (I believe MCI charges that) and you can get something ridiculous like 800 minutes to a UK landline for that $20. I've been doing that for almost a year....its a huge savings and well worth the money.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
Thanks. Sounds like Lingo is more hassle than it's worth.
Had Lingo for a couple of months now, its great. We dont have a regualr phone line.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:35 am
Just Joined

licon is an unknown quantity at this point

You could also try VOIP - Vonage and Skype seem to be two of the best companies right now. Cheaper calls all over, not just to landlines.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licon
You could also try VOIP - Vonage and Skype seem to be two of the best companies right now. Cheaper calls all over, not just to landlines.
So's Lingo a VOIP - and its the only one that includes unlimited calls to Western Europe as well. 20 dollars a month, its a steal - I've hardly had any problems at all with it, good clear calls 99 percent of the time, and if its a bit echoy, just hang up and dial again. For that price, you can't moan. Skype is not a tru VOIP, more like a net phone, you need your computer on to work it.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road

I've just tried the new version of Yahoo messenger (still at Beta)

You can talk computer to computer at good quality for free. You just have to make sure the person the other end has the same program and is online.
You can also call a telephone using this program but you have to pay for that bit.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
So's Lingo a VOIP - and its the only one that includes unlimited calls to Western Europe as well. 20 dollars a month, its a steal - I've hardly had any problems at all with it, good clear calls 99 percent of the time, and if its a bit echoy, just hang up and dial again. For that price, you can't moan. Skype is not a tru VOIP, more like a net phone, you need your computer on to work it.

I hooked up with Lingo too- best thing I ever did. Unlimited calls to USA/UK and Europe and paying a bit extra for the London number my mum and many of my friends can phone me free too. Can't beat that.
I kept the land line for the Direct TV and the alarm system but cut down to very basic service. This has saved me so much money already. Wish they had this when we first came out, I shudder when I think of how big our phone bills have been over the years.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
I hooked up with Lingo too- best thing I ever did. Unlimited calls to USA/UK and Europe and paying a bit extra for the London number my mum and many of my friends can phone me free too. Can't beat that.
I kept the land line for the Direct TV and the alarm system but cut down to very basic service. This has saved me so much money already. Wish they had this when we first came out, I shudder when I think of how big our phone bills have been over the years.
Does that include calls to UK mobile phones as well?
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Does that include calls to UK mobile phones as well?

Well according to their website, calls to UK mobiles are 40c a minute ..however I phoned my friends mobile a few times a few months ago and didn't get charged any extra...
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well according to their website, calls to UK mobiles are 40c a minute ..however I phoned my friends mobile a few times a few months ago and didn't get charged any extra...
That's interesting to know. 40c would be a lot more than what I pay right now. But, we are moving soon and looking for another option than the phone service we have at present. But, I need something that's relatively cheap to call UK mobiles.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's interesting to know. 40c would be a lot more than what I pay right now. But, we are moving soon and looking for another option than the phone service we have at present. But, I need something that's relatively cheap to call UK mobiles.

Wouldn't be worth it for you then- I phone UK landlines, moblies only in an emergency.. so its an absolute steal for me. I phone my Mum 2 to 3 times a day (she's old, lives alone and is not in good health) I do all her phoning for her too, Call all my friends once a week and hubby phones all his family every week now that we don't have to think about the bill- its great.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wouldn't be worth it for you then- I phone UK landlines, moblies only in an emergency.. so its an absolute steal for me. I phone my Mum 2 to 3 times a day (she's old, lives alone and is not in good health) I do all her phoning for her too, Call all my friends once a week and hubby phones all his family every week now that we don't have to think about the bill- its great.
We do phone UK landlines (MIL, etc) But I'm trying to convince my daughter that a landline would be much better for me....children! lol
Thanks for the information.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:43 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I also love Lingo - but was surprised to be charged for a "landline" call to British Gas - it was an 0870 number which, I since found out is some kind of special number that Lingo doesn't recognize as a landline.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's actually 28 cents a minute on the website nowadays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.