Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cheap air fare

Cheap air fare

Old Aug 6th 2004, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about
Default Cheap air fare

$299 round-trip from DC to Manchester on BMI. Tickets must be purchased by August 13, travel must be between Oct 30 2004 and March 5 2005.
Old Aug 6th 2004, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap air fare

Originally posted by Oggie Oi!
$299 round-trip from DC to Manchester on BMI. Tickets must be purchased by August 13, travel must be between Oct 30 2004 and March 5 2005.

Where did you find this at? I've looked a few places and can't find that fare.
Old Aug 6th 2004, 4:58 pm
ElsieTheMaid

Hubby just saw that this morning. I had no intentions of visiting for a few more years, but at that price, we're going to pull out the calendar and see if we can work something out!

Old Aug 6th 2004, 5:26 pm
"Ted You Big Bollocks"

justboy is an unknown quantity at this point

It's true, i'm a Travel Agent and i just checked it out!! The $299 is before taxes though. Fare including taxes is $415.32 per person!!
Old Aug 6th 2004, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Its been quite a few years since I've bought tickets to go to the UK. Its been the other way around and I got used to looking for deals that way. So when I see something that says $400 plus, I have to get my head around the idea that its not a bad price and you're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy, nor working in British pounds.
Old Aug 6th 2004, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

BMI is great... I have flown with them a couple of times... anyhow for anyone who hasn't just to let you know the check in at manchester is a crap and slowwwww be there in plenty of time.

Ash
Old Aug 6th 2004, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Hmmm... doesn't seem like that great of a deal to me.
Old Aug 6th 2004, 7:17 pm
"Ted You Big Bollocks"

Originally posted by britchicknyc
Hmmm... doesn't seem like that great of a deal to me.
It is an ok price....seen cheaper fares from the West Coast to London and Minneapolis to London or Chicago to Glasgow for that time of year!!
Old Aug 6th 2004, 7:34 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

where is this, don't see it on the BMI site? Does it apply to Manchester-DC round trip?
Old Aug 6th 2004, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by justboy
It is an ok price....seen cheaper fares from the West Coast to London and Minneapolis to London or Chicago to Glasgow for that time of year!!

I may be winging myself and a three year old from the West Coast to somewhere in the UK (preferably MAN or LBA) around that time of the year. However, for a good price I'd land just about anywhere, and not the Outer Hebrides! What do you know?
Old Aug 7th 2004, 1:39 am
"Ted You Big Bollocks"

Originally posted by AmerLisa
I may be winging myself and a three year old from the West Coast to somewhere in the UK (preferably MAN or LBA) around that time of the year. However, for a good price I'd land just about anywhere, and not the Outer Hebrides! What do you know?
Flying from the West Coast you really have to rely on BA, Virgin or maybe Air France and Lufthansa having a sale on. If you don't mind paying for a cheap flight on Southwest or SunCountry...then you could get a good fare from Minneapolis to Glasgow or London. Northwest fly direct to Gatwick and Icelandair would fly via Reykjavic to both Heathrow and Glasgow Intl. Icelandair often have 2 for 1 specials so constantly check their website!!

Other good deals that i have recently seen are flying with US Airways from Philadelphia and Delta often have a good deal from Atlanta. From my experience in the travel industry, the best fares from the US normally fly into either Heathrow, Gatwick or Glasgow!!

To be honest though, i don't think you will get much of a better fare to Manchester than that BMI one from Washington Dulles!!

Watch out to see if any of the airlines are adding new routes as that normally leads to a low fare. Continental have just started flying to Edinburgh and US Air to Glasgow and both had good summer prices!!

That's it really....you just have to keep checking the websites, so that you don't miss the deals!
Old Aug 8th 2004, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Try looking at 1800flyeurope.com Just flew all 6 of us from Los Angeles to Heathrow for $2000 including all taxes. Their other website is autoeurope.com.

Originally Posted by justboy
Flying from the West Coast you really have to rely on BA, Virgin or maybe Air France and Lufthansa having a sale on. If you don't mind paying for a cheap flight on Southwest or SunCountry...then you could get a good fare from Minneapolis to Glasgow or London. Northwest fly direct to Gatwick and Icelandair would fly via Reykjavic to both Heathrow and Glasgow Intl. Icelandair often have 2 for 1 specials so constantly check their website!!

Other good deals that i have recently seen are flying with US Airways from Philadelphia and Delta often have a good deal from Atlanta. From my experience in the travel industry, the best fares from the US normally fly into either Heathrow, Gatwick or Glasgow!!

To be honest though, i don't think you will get much of a better fare to Manchester than that BMI one from Washington Dulles!!

Watch out to see if any of the airlines are adding new routes as that normally leads to a low fare. Continental have just started flying to Edinburgh and US Air to Glasgow and both had good summer prices!!

That's it really....you just have to keep checking the websites, so that you don't miss the deals!
Old Aug 8th 2004, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the information. I've considered flying Southwest to another airport as well. But I suppose I have to look at the end cost. Also, I'm thinking about October, what kind of prices do you think are realistic at that time?

One other question. Has anyone flown with a child without the other parent? This will be the first time that I will fly to the UK without hubs and I've heard various things about having to have written permission to take a child out of the country. Does anyone know? My daughter has both British and American passports, I suppose she has to use her American passport. Its a bit strange to think we are going to get stamps in our passports that say visitor.....sad actually.

Last edited by AmerLisa; Aug 8th 2004 at 3:50 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cheap air fare

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
One other question. Has anyone flown with a child without the other parent? This will be the first time that I will fly to the UK without hubs and I've heard various things about having to have written permission to take a child out of the country. Does anyone know? My daughter has both British and American passports, I suppose she has to use her American passport. Its a bit strange to think we are going to get stamps in our passports that say visitor.....sad actually.
You do need to get a letter of permission signed by your husband it should also be notorized [sp?]. There are websites that have template letter that you can print off and sign.

Ash