Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cheap = Inferior?

Cheap = Inferior?

Old May 17th 2005, 2:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap = Inferior?

Would my washing machine be that white boxy thing along side another white boxy thing in a little room by the garage .....
How quaint... I always wondered...never liked to ask..
Old May 17th 2005, 2:57 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Would my washing machine be that white boxy thing along side another white boxy thing in a little room by the garage .....
Very good question. Why don't you open it up? You should find a clean body, a dry body, or a frozen body.
Old May 17th 2005, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

So true, and something many Americans refuse to believe. My biggest issue, like many here, is the appalling quality of clothing and shoes. My first job in the US was at the fashion mart in LA and I knew a lot of the national sales reps for just about every label you can think of. I asked someone from Levis why the jeans here were so shoddily made compared to the jeans in the UK, and he said that every other market in the world demands not only a better quality fabric and cut, but better thread and zippers. Americans only care about the price, and manufactureres have to cut corners to keep the cost down to an American consumer level. So sure, you can buy a pair of jeans for $15, but you'll look like a Chinese peasant farmer circa 1973. Even the high-end stuff in Saks and Neiman Marcus is falling to pieces on the rack. And has anybody else noticed the ridiculous cost of even a minimal wool content here? Shoes are a joke. In England I can get well made, leather-soled, Italian shoes for 60quid (at the most, and a third of that in the sales, which come round every other week!) Here, you can pay well over $100 and still get a mess of partially glued rubber soles and poorly stitched leather. Arghhhh!

As for electronic items, I'm still looking for a cordless phone that doesn't feel like a kid's toy.
Old May 17th 2005, 6:56 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dant3
<<snip>>

As for electronic items, I'm still looking for a cordless phone that doesn't feel like a kid's toy.
... and more importantly, doesn't sound like one!

NC Penguin
Old May 17th 2005, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

strim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dant3
We went through 3 cordless phones in 6 months as they kept breaking. Our latest has now passed the 9 month mark so fingers crossed.

At least most shops are pretty good with returns -- I guess they have to be.
Old May 17th 2005, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off topic but I can't find a decent sweeping brush over here and I have bought quite a few. The other thing I can't find is a good mop, I've tried them all and none of them can beat my old vileda mop I had in the UK. I have now resorted to cleaning my kitchen floor on my hands and knees.
Old May 17th 2005, 7:49 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
Slightly off topic but I can't find a decent sweeping brush over here and I have bought quite a few. The other thing I can't find is a good mop, I've tried them all and none of them can beat my old vileda mop I had in the UK. I have now resorted to cleaning my kitchen floor on my hands and knees.
Crappy BBQ, crappy brush, crappy mop? You need to get the hell out of NJ, it seems.
Old May 17th 2005, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on my third wireless router in 2 years. The last one was bought in February.
Old May 17th 2005, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Crappy BBQ, crappy brush, crappy mop? You need to get the hell out of NJ, it seems.

At the moment I would just love to pack up and go back to England but I know that in a few weeks' time I'll be over my homesickness again and I will fall in love with NJ all over again.
Old May 17th 2005, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by mandpete
:scared:

First drying clothes on the line, and then someone cleaning kitchen floor on their knees! :scared: :scared:

Vacuum it up, and then Wet Swiffer it! Nothing better!
Old May 17th 2005, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by izibear
:scared:

First drying clothes on the line, and then someone cleaning kitchen floor on their knees! :scared: :scared:

Vacuum it up, and then Wet Swiffer it! Nothing better!

I use those wet Swiffer or Grab-it mop and pads - expensive way to do the kitchen floor, so I alternate that with a session on my knees plus bucket.

Whilst on these Domestic Godess subjects, any recommendations for washing powder ? I can't find anything half as good as any in the UK.
Old May 17th 2005, 11:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie

Whilst on these Domestic Godess subjects, any recommendations for washing powder ? I can't find anything half as good as any in the UK.
I've been using Seventh Generation, not the powder, but that's supposed to be pretty good....it's that green organic shite, but does the trick, and pretty cheap if you buy the huge tub
Old May 18th 2005, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

I wouldn't say I recommend it but I use All Free Clear with a cup of Clorox non chlorine bleach For my whites I use Fairy tablets which is what I always insist people bring from England for me. I also use blue Snuggle fabric softener.

I think this should have been posted in the laundry thread.
Old May 18th 2005, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
You mean to say you have white appliances?? I would have thought they'd be black or red.
Old May 18th 2005, 12:43 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>

Don't know if you have a top loader or a front loader but this forum probably has some great suggestions for either type of machine-

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laun...e=Laundry+Room

I used the forum above to assist me in researching front loaders and suitable laundry detergents.

NC Penguin

Last edited by NC Penguin; May 18th 2005 at 2:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.