Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cheap = Inferior?

Cheap = Inferior?

Old May 14th 2005, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cheap = Inferior?

I hear so often how cheap everything in the US is compared to the UK, and in many respects I would agree ... BUT, has anyone else here noticed that certain things may be cheaper, but they are also quite crappy too?

Example ... purchased Braun electric kettle for $45, the same brand in the UK would cost quite a bit more than that, but the quality would be far superior. Seems to me that manufacturers have products destined for the US (i.e. cheaply made and cheaply priced) and products destined for the UK (i.e. expensive but superior quality).

And what is it with some brand names seeming to have a total monopoly on shelf space in many of the stores ... Conair (sp) comes to mind?
Old May 14th 2005, 1:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap = Inferior?

I've noticed it with clothes mostly...Gap, abercrombie....shite...and not that cheap....Next, River Island, Top Shop...much better quality for the money...

Same with shoes...there not worth re-healing, not that there's anyone to fix quality shoes...

Same could be said with some food goods as well...
Old May 14th 2005, 1:10 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I hear so often how cheap everything in the US is compared to the UK, and in many respects I would agree ... BUT, has anyone else here noticed that certain things may be cheaper, but they are also quite crappy too?

Example ... purchased Braun electric kettle for $45, the same brand in the UK would cost quite a bit more than that, but the quality would be far superior. Seems to me that manufacturers have products destined for the US (i.e. cheaply made and cheaply priced) and products destined for the UK (i.e. expensive but superior quality).

And what is it with some brand names seeming to have a total monopoly on shelf space in many of the stores ... Conair (sp) comes to mind?
The energy efficient florescent bulbs here are crap compared to back home, cheaper yes, but bulbs that fall apart are not cheap - they are a waste of money.

Old May 14th 2005, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Small electrical goods over here are absolute crap.

I bought a Black & Decker food processor but the second time I used it the motor burnt out grating cheddar cheese and I just can't be bothered taking it back.

In England I had 2 irons in 13 years, I've been in USA three years and am on my second iron already.

As for hairdryers, I've got a Conair one that cuts out after 20 seconds, another one that's very quiet but takes forever to dry my hair and my daughter has an Hello Kitty one that's OK. My ladyshave is crap, not a patch on my UK one.

We're on our 3rd toaster, the first one lasted 2 years, the second one which cost us $80.00 lasted 2 weeks so I took that back and the replacement has been OK up to now.
Old May 14th 2005, 1:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete

I bought a Black & Decker food processor but the second time I used it the motor burnt out grating cheddar cheese and I just can't be bothered taking it back.
to be fair, black and decker do design to fail...that's why you never see professionals use black and decker, they use there professional versions Dewalt.
Old May 14th 2005, 1:47 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

On moving to the US three years ago I immediately noticed the cheap quality of manufactured products (eletrical and clothing especially). At the same time I realized the American consumer's number one concern of price over quality.

Really fed up with trying to find a good cordless phone and also a toaster. As for clothes, I've never been interested in buying cheap quality clothing anyway and I can prolong the life of any clothing because I own/use a front loading washer.

NC Penguin
Old May 14th 2005, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
On moving to the US three years ago I immediately noticed the cheap quality of manufactured products (eletrical and clothing especially). At the same time I realized the American consumer's number one concern of price over quality.

Really fed up with trying to find a good cordless phone and also a toaster. As for clothes, I've never been interested in buying cheap quality clothing anyway and I can prolong the life of any clothing because I own/use a front loading washer.
NC Penguin
I think that is what irritates me the most. When I was in the UK, I would buy the best quality I could afford (electrical items) as the additional cost usually meant that the product would last a lifetime ... but I haven't been able to find quality products here in the US. Have to admit that my husband is one of those who thinks small kitchen appliances should only cost $10.00 a time ... anything costing more than that is somehow a waste of money. Anyway, if that is the way of America, then it's not surprising that the products generally available are complete crap.

I bought a cordless phone last year ... got the best I could find, and still ended up with something that is cheap & nasty ... I never did appreciate that the products in the UK were well made and stylish, albeit expensive, until I came here.

I'm also tired of fighting with the hoover that my husband bought before I got here ... would love a Dyson but my husband can't understand how a hoover can cost $400 ... much better to have the $50.00 WalMart appliance that leaves all the crap in the carpet, eh!!
Old May 14th 2005, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here just over two years, we're currently on our third iron and our second kettle.

I'm on my second hairdryer and my daughter's first blew up a few days ago, although she mainly allows her hair to dry naturally so it hadn't been used much.
Old May 14th 2005, 3:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

I'm also tired of fighting with the hoover that my husband bought before I got here ... would love a Dyson but my husband can't understand how a hoover can cost $400 ... much better to have the $50.00 WalMart appliance that leaves all the crap in the carpet, eh!!
Gotta get a dyson, there lovely, get him to try it out in the store...so easy to use, and light...only gripe is, even the dyson isn't top spec over here, using a cheaper less powerful motor that doesn't last as long over here...still better than anything else on the market though.
Old May 14th 2005, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is what irritates me the most. When I was in the UK, I would buy the best quality I could afford (electrical items) as the additional cost usually meant that the product would last a lifetime ... but I haven't been able to find quality products here in the US. Have to admit that my husband is one of those who thinks small kitchen appliances should only cost $10.00 a time ... anything costing more than that is somehow a waste of money. Anyway, if that is the way of America, then it's not surprising that the products generally available are complete crap.

I bought a cordless phone last year ... got the best I could find, and still ended up with something that is cheap & nasty ... I never did appreciate that the products in the UK were well made and stylish, albeit expensive, until I came here.

Just go buy one, or make him vac up, LOL, first thing I did was buy a Dyson, they are truly wonderful, and anyway you'd be paying 400 quid in England, have you seen the new rollerball they just brought out, fabulous <hangs head in shame at getting excited about a vac>
Have to agree about things being crap but cheap, especially ovens, don't understand the mentality of wanting cheapness over quality, and the majority were so flaming ugly...looked like something you'd have in the 1940's

With regards to peoples irons and kettles breaking so soon, is this possibly something to do with the hardness of the water, I have an electric kettle and its on its last legs due to all the white build up on the inside, its only 9 months old, my Grandad told me that if you put a pebble inside it stops it happening as all the white stuff sticks to the pebble and you can then change the pebble..
If this is the case though, does this mean Washing machines and dishwashers are also likely to stop working, I recall back home a product called Calgon, you used it if your water was hard, stopped the pipes clogging up, should you do the same here?? Also in my dishwasher back in England, you had to put salt in, again to soften the water, when I asked in the shop about it, I think he thought I was mad, had no clue what I was talking about Maybe dishwasher tablets and washing powder have something in it here that has the same effect, anyone know?????

NC Penquin if you want a decent toaster buy a Dualit, will cost you $200 but seriously it will last forever and the toast is perfect..
Old May 14th 2005, 4:07 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by woodsey
Also in my dishwasher back in England, you had to put salt in, again to soften the water, when I asked in the shop about it, I think he thought I was mad, had no clue what I was talking about Maybe dishwasher tablets and washing powder have something in it here that has the same effect, anyone know?????
Most people with hard water have a water softener, which softens the water before it gets to the dishwasher or any of the taps. That's why you'll see HUGE bags of salt in the supermarket... (although maybe this is just a Michigan thing?).

Last edited by saraliz; May 14th 2005 at 4:10 am.
Old May 14th 2005, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Gotta get a dyson, there lovely, get him to try it out in the store...so easy to use, and light...only gripe is, even the dyson isn't top spec over here, using a cheaper less powerful motor that doesn't last as long over here...still better than anything else on the market though.
I had the original Dyson when it first came out ... I was so impressed that I invited all my friends and family to come and see/try it ( ) ... and then they all went out and bought one too!

I so wanted to buy the Animal Dyson when it came out, but by then I was headed to the US. My husband knows I want a Dyson and knows why ... but he is of the firm belief that several $50 hoovers over a few years is better value than one Dyson ... even if that does mean that the crap stays buried in the carpet!

However, I never realised that Mr Dyson was sending 'special' (i.e. inferior) models to the US? Cheaper and less powerful motor?

Strange really, it would seem that the average American wants the huge house, swimming pool, SUV, truck, etc, etc ... and then wants to fill the huge house with lots and lots of utter crap!
Old May 14th 2005, 5:31 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Am I missing something? I think the Dyson comes with a free vibrator and the blokes just don't know about this women oriented marketing campaign?!
Old May 14th 2005, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

However, I never realised that Mr Dyson was sending 'special' (i.e. inferior) models to the US? Cheaper and less powerful motor?

Strange really, it would seem that the average American wants the huge house, swimming pool, SUV, truck, etc, etc ... and then wants to fill the huge house with lots and lots of utter crap!

I can honestly say I haven't notice my Dyson here being any less powerful than my Dyson in England, I can still vac my rug in the family room and fill the thing to the top..and as for vaccing my mattress, God, it almost makes me puke the stuff that comes out of there..
Your last point is so true, I have never seen so much crap in peoples houses, I have had several Americans coming into my house and asking when my furniture arrives (it arrived 8 months ago)..why have a big house only to fill it so full with junk you can't move in it..They always comment on my kitchen though, apparantly its so stylish and european, well yeah, thats 'cos we are..
Old May 14th 2005, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by woodsey
Just go buy one, or make him vac up, LOL, first thing I did was buy a Dyson, they are truly wonderful, and anyway you'd be paying 400 quid in England, have you seen the new rollerball they just brought out, fabulous <hangs head in shame at getting excited about a vac>
Have to agree about things being crap but cheap, especially ovens, don't understand the mentality of wanting cheapness over quality, and the majority were so flaming ugly...looked like something you'd have in the 1940's

With regards to peoples irons and kettles breaking so soon, is this possibly something to do with the hardness of the water, I have an electric kettle and its on its last legs due to all the white build up on the inside, its only 9 months old, my Grandad told me that if you put a pebble inside it stops it happening as all the white stuff sticks to the pebble and you can then change the pebble..
If this is the case though, does this mean Washing machines and dishwashers are also likely to stop working, I recall back home a product called Calgon, you used it if your water was hard, stopped the pipes clogging up, should you do the same here?? Also in my dishwasher back in England, you had to put salt in, again to soften the water, when I asked in the shop about it, I think he thought I was mad, had no clue what I was talking about Maybe dishwasher tablets and washing powder have something in it here that has the same effect, anyone know?????

NC Penquin if you want a decent toaster buy a Dualit, will cost you $200 but seriously it will last forever and the toast is perfect..
be careful not to swallow the pebble or you will indeed,find another 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.