Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chavs in California

Chavs in California

Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:13 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 15
Lit Up is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chavs in California

Biked over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito yesterday, waiting in line for the ferry back, a whole extended family of chavs from London there. The females (mother and three daughters) were all wearing pink 'california' hoodies. The old grandad (pushing 70) gets confrontational in the queue, saying how I've pushed in front, basically being a right arse hole. I told him to relax, he comes back with bile. Great example to the kids. I can't understand how they can afford a west coast holiday (apparently they were staying in an RV for 300 dollars a day) - but maybe the son made good and opened a chain of chip shops? All the time I'm thinking to myself, "this is why I left London"...

Last edited by Lit Up; Aug 1st 2013 at 10:34 pm.
Lit Up is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:33 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 400
SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chavs in California

Yet another reason to avoid tourist spots in the city.
SalopianFunk is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:38 pm
  #3  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 364
customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chavs in California

Originally Posted by Lit Up
Biked over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito yesterday, waiting in line for the ferry back, a whole extended family of chavs from London there. The females (mother and three daughters) were all wearing pink 'california' hoodies. The old grandad (pushing 70) gets confrontational in the queue, saying how I've pushed in front, basically being a right arse hole. I told him to relax, he comes back with bile. Great example to the kids. I can't understand how they can afford a west coast holiday (apparently they were staying in an RV for 300 dollars a day) - but maybe the son made good and opened a chain of chip shops? All the time I'm thinking to myself, "this is why I left London"...
Should have phoned the cops and had them arrested and deported it sounds to me like would probably have records and lied to get into the country
customsquestion is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:45 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chavs in California

Did you push in the queue though?
Sally Redux is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:46 pm
  #5  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 92,166
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chavs in California

Beats having a local chav get in your face I guess. They'd just have shoot you.
Bob is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:49 pm
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chavs in California

Originally Posted by Bob
Beats having a local chav get in your face I guess. They'd just have shoot you.
That's what I thought it was going to be about from the title
Sally Redux is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 12:31 am
  #7  
 
N1cky's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Google Town
Posts: 7,532
N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chavs in California

Originally Posted by Lit Up
Biked over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito yesterday, waiting in line for the ferry back, a whole extended family of chavs from London there. The females (mother and three daughters) were all wearing pink 'california' hoodies. The old grandad (pushing 70) gets confrontational in the queue, saying how I've pushed in front, basically being a right arse hole. I told him to relax, he comes back with bile. Great example to the kids. I can't understand how they can afford a west coast holiday (apparently they were staying in an RV for 300 dollars a day) - but maybe the son made good and opened a chain of chip shops? All the time I'm thinking to myself, "this is why I left London"...
You always see loads of people in SF wearing 'California' hoodies. It's because they think California will be hot in July and they won't need a jacket, then they get to SF and realize it's ******* freezing and buy something to keep warm. Been there, done that, got the sweatshirt

Anyway, aren't there chavs all over England, not sure they are unique to London. What part of the UK did you manage to move to, to escape them?
N1cky is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 9:34 am
  #8  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 364
customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chavs in California

Originally Posted by N1cky
You always see loads of people in SF wearing 'California' hoodies. It's because they think California will be hot in July and they won't need a jacket, then they get to SF and realize it's ******* freezing and buy something to keep warm. Been there, done that, got the sweatshirt

Anyway, aren't there chavs all over England, not sure they are unique to London. What part of the UK did you manage to move to, to escape them?
There is also probably brits living in america like that as well it's not just a problem with english people in england. The United Kingdom is lucky still be on the visa waiver program when you think about.
customsquestion is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 10:23 am
  #9  
 
Cardienscarf's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Dancing round my handbag
Posts: 2,673
Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chavs in California

Originally Posted by customsquestion
There is also probably brits living in america like that as well it's not just a problem with english people in england. The United Kingdom is lucky still be on the visa waiver program when you think about.
Not again!

There are also plenty of Americans like that in America. There are diverse cultures wherever you go - it's what makes the world go round and a bit more interesting. If everyone was just like 'me' - or 'you' - the world would come to a grinding holt, let alone be incredibly tedious.
Cardienscarf is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 12:17 pm
  #10  
.
 
Yorkieabroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Where bad things rarely happen in movies
Posts: 8,933
Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chavs in California

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
If everyone was just like 'me' - or 'you' - the world would come to a grinding holt, let alone be incredibly tedious.
It certainly would... I look dreadful in a cardigans, although rather dashing in my old university scarf, if I may be so bold....
Yorkieabroad is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:01 pm
  #11  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 364
customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chavs in California

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Not again!

There are also plenty of Americans like that in America. There are diverse cultures wherever you go - it's what makes the world go round and a bit more interesting. If everyone was just like 'me' - or 'you' - the world would come to a grinding holt, let alone be incredibly tedious.
I said lucky to be on not should be removed and it is lucky.

They took Argentina off because of the breakdown of it's economy yet they haven't removed us because of the "breakdown of it's society"? And every paper and cameron uses the term broken britain every day. And yet Romania will never be on because of the credit card gangs and the frauds and that maybe a large amount of it's people may or may not be dishonest?
customsquestion is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:24 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 214
Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chavs in California

Florida would probably shut down if chav Brits weren't allowed to invade Orlando on a whim.
Lbjen is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:08 pm
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 12,832
Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chavs in California

Originally Posted by customsquestion
They took Argentina off because of the breakdown of it's economy yet they haven't removed us because of the "breakdown of it's society"? And every paper and cameron uses the term broken britain every day.
Well if the media use that term every day then it must be true. I think I'll let President Obama know that the Daily Mail et al should be driving his immigration policies...
Giantaxe is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:09 pm
  #14  
 
Cardienscarf's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Dancing round my handbag
Posts: 2,673
Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chavs in California

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
It certainly would... I look dreadful in a cardigans, although rather dashing in my old university scarf, if I may be so bold....
Not a Val Doonican look alike then?
Cardienscarf is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:56 pm
  #15  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 364
customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chavs in California

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Well if the media use that term every day then it must be true. I think I'll let President Obama know that the Daily Mail et al should be driving his immigration policies...
Had my friend's pupil been killed by them scouser girl a couple of years back or the op been thrown in the bay and drowned maybe the New York Daily News or the San Fran equivalent might have been driving immigration policy.
customsquestion is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.