Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Charted accountant (UK) converting to CPA

Charted accountant (UK) converting to CPA

Old Feb 6th 2016, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

carlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of light
Default Charted accountant (UK) converting to CPA

I'm a chartered accountant (CPFA) in the UK and looking at getting CPA qualification when I move to California later this year. Has anyone got any experiences they can share?

I understand I'll need to get my UK qualifications translated and it looks like it will be enough to allow me to sit the exams. I'm guessing it's best if I study as much as I can before the move. Apart from that...I'm a bit lost!
Old Feb 7th 2016, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Charted accountant (UK) converting to CPA

My brother has worked in the US as a Chartered Accountant and never went for anything else,

As far as I know there is no translation? Obviously some US practices can be different, very different.

what does your Employer require?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Feb 7th 2016 at 5:59 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

carlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of light

Hi - I'm not transferring with an employer, the 'green card' is through my wife (a USC). I'd heard that having the CPA qualification makes you more desirable in the job market and I don't want to stay unemployed for too long after I arrive!

The U.K. is not one of the countries that has a reciprocal arrangement and so my current (UK) accounting body has confirmed they can't help.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 6:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Google is your friend:

International Topics: Frequently Asked Questions - AICPA
Old Feb 7th 2016, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Rete - thanks for link. I'd read something similar on the California CPA assoc. website. What they aren't able to tell you is how experience and eduction will convert. e.g. Will the study hours/topics in the UK qualification be enough? Also, will experience gained in the UK count.

I was wondering if anyone on here and been through the process themselves.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlrush
Hi - I'm not transferring with an employer, the 'green card' is through my wife (a USC). I'd heard that having the CPA qualification makes you more desirable in the job market and I don't want to stay unemployed for too long after I arrive!

The U.K. is not one of the countries that has a reciprocal arrangement and so my current (UK) accounting body has confirmed they can't help.
Given their similarities, could you become an Irish chartered accountant ?
Old Feb 7th 2016, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Good to hear from someone as sneaky as me! I looked in to that (as well as Canada & Australia) but unfortunately I can't. There are 5 main accounting bodies in the UK and only one has reciprocal arrangements and (you guessed it) it's not the one I belong to.

I looked at changing bodies in the UK then joining the Irish institute and then going for CPA. It's about the same amount of exam time as just sitting for my CPA...and probably more confusing for anyone reading my CV!
Old Feb 7th 2016, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlrush
Good to hear from someone as sneaky as me!
That coming from an accountant, I am honoured and proud.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 10:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
That coming from an accountant, I am honoured and proud.
Question: What's 2+2?

The accountant's answer: What would you like it to be?