Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Charlotte- Mecklenburg: Securing a school place

Charlotte- Mecklenburg: Securing a school place

Old Jan 29th 2020, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charlotte- Mecklenburg: Securing a school place

Originally Posted by SuzieQ1983
i am a primary School teacher here in the U.K. and so can fully sympathise with any teacher is forced to move to a more challenging school. Very strange system - just wouldn’t happen here
There is a British international school in Charlotte fyi
Old Jan 30th 2020, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
See my above comment about "white flight", and Tom's comment about private schools, of which there are about 60 (sixty) in the Charlotte area; I would suggest that there is a good reason for this. To which I would add the increasing number and popularity of charter (quazi-independent but publicly funded) schools.

There are pockets of good schools, notably in south Charlotte (known as "the wedge" to Charlotte residents), but housing there is much more expensive than other parts of Charlotte, with a large number of houses in the $500k-$1million range and many mansions worth over $1million. Far SW Charlotte also has, from what I hear, some reasonable schools, but no CMS school is immune to the political meddling and the risk of having their high-performing teaches reasigned.

I guess the real question is whether you're a parent who is interested in getting the best education for their child(ren) seeking out the best opportunities for your child(ren) to succeed, even if that only means a relatively stable, drama-free classroom experience, or if you will take whatever "educational experience" the local education board provides, wherever you happen to live?

Short version: The situation may be worse in some cities, but Charlotte certainly has some crappy schools.
Indeed, my brother lives in the prosperous "wedge" of south Charlotte. His son attends the public schools. Their house is worth around $420k.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Marblesthecat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we live in her CMS area in Charlotte and there are some great schools- in fact go on the website great schools and you will see the scores. Davidson, Huntersville and Cornelius are great areas - as well as the Cabarrus side which is no longer CMS. Have many Ex pat friends here so feel free to reach our when you arrive. As far as getting your child in the local school you will have no problem. We literally went to the school the day before , registered with proof of residence etc and my daughter was in the next day. The school has to take your child no matter what so don’t worry about getting her in.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

SuzieQ1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Marblesthecat
Hi, we live in her CMS area in Charlotte and there are some great schools- in fact go on the website great schools and you will see the scores. Davidson, Huntersville and Cornelius are great areas - as well as the Cabarrus side which is no longer CMS. Have many Ex pat friends here so feel free to reach our when you arrive. As far as getting your child in the local school you will have no problem. We literally went to the school the day before , registered with proof of residence etc and my daughter was in the next day. The school has to take your child no matter what so don’t worry about getting her in.

Thank you so much for this message - nice to hear some positives! I will def make contact once we know more further on the line; really appreciate that!
Old Feb 4th 2020, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

retman is an unknown quantity at this point

My son went through the CMS school system from elementary, middle and high school. We lived on the South side (the wedge). Plenty of properties to rent or purchase. We could not afford private schooling. Ultimately he graduated and went on to college. All you have heard about the CMS school system I would agree with. So from a practical perspective select good to high performing schools, which you can find on the CMS website.Typically this means residing in the better areas where the better schools are found, with lots of parent involvement. Then when your child is in school monitor their performance, make sure they do their homework, encourage them to become involved in school activities, attend parent/teacher meetings and open house opportunities. As a parent stay involved in their schooling.
It worked for our family.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 11:03 am
Just Joined

SuzieQ1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by retman
My son went through the CMS school system from elementary, middle and high school. We lived on the South side (the wedge). Plenty of properties to rent or purchase. We could not afford private schooling. Ultimately he graduated and went on to college. All you have heard about the CMS school system I would agree with. So from a practical perspective select good to high performing schools, which you can find on the CMS website.Typically this means residing in the better areas where the better schools are found, with lots of mparent involvement. Then when your child is in school monitor their performance, make sure they do their homework, encourage them to become involved in school activities, attend parent/teacher meetings and open house opportunities. As a parent stay involved in their schooling.
It worked for our family.
Thanks for this great advice! I’m a teacher myself (although not planning to continue when we move over) so I support and echo all of your suggestions.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 12:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retman
..... Typically this means residing in the better areas where the better schools are found, with lots of parent involvement. ....
I was talking with the mother of one of my daughter's friends at the weekend - their home is in the Wedge, within walking distance of one of the very good schools in that area. FWIW their home costs way more than I would ever dream of paying ..... The assigned high school for their address is currently West Charlotte!

In other words, for as long as you have a child in CMS you will lay awake at night fearing the prospect of being "redistricted".
Old Feb 4th 2020, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Charlotte- Mecklenburg: Securing a school place

I was talking with the mother of one of my daughter's friends at the weekend - their home is in the Wedge, within walking distance of one of the very good schools in that area. FWIW their home costs way more than I would ever dream of paying ..... The assigned high school for their address is currently West Charlotte!

In other words, for as long as you have a child in CMS you will lay awake at night fearing the prospect of being "redistricted".
It could be worse. You could live in my area (Wake County) and deal with possible re-assignments every year :-)
Old Feb 4th 2020, 3:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
It could be worse. You could live in my area (Wake County) and deal with possible re-assignments every year. ...
How is that different? It sounds the same.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

How is that different? It sounds the same.
I think Wake County has had a lot more practice at it.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
I think Wake County has had a lot more practice at it.
I don't know, I don't live (anywhere near) there.