Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Charleston, South Carolina

Charleston, South Carolina

Old Dec 3rd 2011, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charleston, South Carolina

Originally Posted by N1cky
Well that assures me
Asked him about Stanford, apparently there's someone there he doesn't like
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
But that could always be true, right? Even if there isn't someone in Charleston that he doesn't like, that could certainly change. Is the person in Stanford someone he would have to work with all the time?

Regarding Charleston, I would think long and hard about what you like in LA and what you don't, and compare Charleston to it to the best of your ability. It would be radically different culturally, which could be a good or bad thing.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 3:39 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Shall I get rid of them?

There will be someone everywhere that he doesn't like, better the devil you know....
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Shall I get rid of them?

There will be someone everywhere that he doesn't like, better the devil you know....
Apparently SC is the better place for his line of research - so you can stand down for now
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I am reviving this thread as Charleston is back on the table.

My husband's job security at UCLA looks shakier all the time and the move might make sense for us. Obviously I will have to go and check it out for myself, but just wondered if anyone had any more input on the area. My daughter would be a high school junior at the time if we did move, and this would be a major consideration.

Thanks.
Hey Sally, we just moved from PA to VT and my daughter is a high school junior. We've only been here a week and she's not happy about the move at all, the town we moved to is very small and she is used to having a lot of stuff within walking distance and lots of good shopping etc. she has only had one day at school so far, luckily they offer a similar curriculum and she is able to do similar subjects to what she was doing at her old school. The new school is older and more run down than her last school and is smaller, but the teachers are great, she met a couple of cool kids on her first day, but she still thinks it sucked and her life is over
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nethead
Hey Sally, we just moved from PA to VT and my daughter is a high school junior. We've only been here a week and she's not happy about the move at all, the town we moved to is very small and she is used to having a lot of stuff within walking distance and lots of good shopping etc. she has only had one day at school so far, luckily they offer a similar curriculum and she is able to do similar subjects to what she was doing at her old school. The new school is older and more run down than her last school and is smaller, but the teachers are great, she met a couple of cool kids on her first day, but she still thinks it sucked and her life is over
Hey Annette, this is what is worrying me the most, I feel we've already made life difficult for the kids. I really hope your daughter gets to like the new place. How are the rest of you doing?
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 5:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

She'll probably get over it if she gets a car

Though I can imagine it being tough on anyone moving from a decent sized town/city and moving to a small town/village.

Loads of stuff to do though, might be different, but come winter and skiing resorts out there tend to do really good deals for locals, compared to down my way.

http://www.breathenh.org/Page.aspx?pid=328 Something like this is pretty good, it covers most of New England
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Annette, this is what is worrying me the most, I feel we've already made life difficult for the kids. I really hope your daughter gets to like the new place. How are the rest of you doing?
We're ok! The boys seems to be adjusting well, like their new school and have made friends. I'm feeling a weird, it's hard work trying to keep everyone happy when you don't feel settled yourself.

Originally Posted by Bob
She'll probably get over it if she gets a car

Though I can imagine it being tough on anyone moving from a decent sized town/city and moving to a small town/village.

Loads of stuff to do though, might be different, but come winter and skiing resorts out there tend to do really good deals for locals, compared to down my way.

http://www.breathenh.org/Page.aspx?pid=328 Something like this is pretty good, it covers most of New England
Unfortunately we can't afford to buy her a car, we are very very skint right now, moving is freakin' expensive.
Not sure what we have done to be honest, it's a lovely area, beautiful mountains, but everything closes about 2/3pm and any decent shopping is about an hour away. I know it's not nice to say but half the people look like they are 'people from Walmart' people
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not, that was my first thought!

It just looks dicey at UCLA.

The attraction of this one is good research funding and they are very keen to get him.
My friends there left to return to San Diego. They were both in scientific research there, in academia.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 12:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately we can't afford to buy her a car, we are very very skint right now, moving is freakin' expensive.
It's VT...she can get a part time job and buy a banger for a few hundred bucks off someones lawn and keep it for a year, till it needs inspecting at least

I know what you mean though about some of the weird folks...and yeah, moving, even not very far costs a bomb doesn't it
Old Dec 4th 2011, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
My friends there left to return to San Diego. They were both in scientific research there, in academia.
Were they the people you mentioned previously who had religious issues?
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Were they the people you mentioned previously who had religious issues?
Same people, although "religious issues" is probably a little too strong a phrase
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Same people, although "religious issues" is probably a little too strong a phrase
I just wondered if it was due to the science, or general moronic attitudes
Old Dec 6th 2011, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Englishtart seemed very happy with her move before she dropped off the map! It is hot, has lots of churches, all the stuff mentioned. It is also on the east coast and that's like moving to another country! Not sure how long you would be there for but you will have easy access to all kinds of historical areas. The military presence is not as big as it was. Hurricanes, they do happen.
As far as your daughter goes one thing that might affect you is whether you will have lived there long enough to get in state tuition rates if she goes to college in SC. Something to check on.
I lived there when I first came over (1981), I think you would be able to find like minded people there even if they aren't the majority.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to be moving to the Charleston, SC area soon. (Probably before March) Although we are looking at either Mt Pleasant or Summerville. My OH has got a job that is based in Daniel Island.
I have never been to SC before but as I am currently in Indiana, I think the weather has to be better! It sucks as we have made good friends here and my kids are settled in their school. Mine are younger than yours though so may weather the change easier. My OH told them we would be near a beach and that seemed to work wonders!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.