Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Charleston, South Carolina

Charleston, South Carolina

Old Dec 6th 2011, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charleston, South Carolina

Thanks Bev and Sarah for the extra info. Good luck with your move, Sarah!
Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

For SarahG: I really don't think you're going to want to commute from Summerville to Daniel Island on a daily basis, Mt. Pleasant may be better in that regard. Best of luck on your move!
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Thanks Bev and Sarah for the extra info. Good luck with your move, Sarah!
Thanks. My OH has a month long training he has to go to starting January 2 so he is going to scope out the area and try to find somewhere for us to live.

Originally Posted by Married2abrit
For SarahG: I really don't think you're going to want to commute from Summerville to Daniel Island on a daily basis, Mt. Pleasant may be better in that regard. Best of luck on your move!
Thanks, luckily (for me) I won't have to commute, it'll be my OH who'll be doing it. I was looking at Summerville as the cost of renting there is lower than in Mt Pleasant. Plus from what I have read it has a good school district. As I have never set foot in SC, I am not totally sure where is the best place to start.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in Summerville and it does have an excellent school system (Dorchester District 2), but that commute is going to be h#ll. In rush hour (which honestly lasts from about 4:00pm to 6:30pm) it takes over one hour to travel about 16 miles (North Charleston to Summerville). Daniel Island is a little less than 30 miles away from Summerville with only 2 bridges to access it (we have a Tea Party governor, so improvements to roads aren't a big thing with her). I'm sure you'll find a nice place no matter which area you choose. Wishing you all the best in your move.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 10:03 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

My mum wants to live in South Carolina (or north idk) because Nicholas Sparks sets all his books there
Old Dec 6th 2011, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, they filmed "Dear John" and "The Notebook" down here.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sally, we are in Myrtle beach 10 years now, my hubby moved here from LA 18 years ago, work related....anyhoo we spend a lot of time in Chucktown...
Yes it is republican, churchy, and all the stuff others have said, very true...but it does have a culture of sorts, it honestly reminds me a lot of England in the way the town is - it has history and a heart to the town that lacks in some other places, A walk down Kings street is just like walking down a high street back home except lots of palm trees and uneven pavements
I should be clear I dont pine for the UK after 18 years here, but it does have a proper town feel and a familiarity and warmth. Mount Pleasant is a nice small up and coming suburb, there is an awesome Farmers market every Saturday in the spring and summer - big too its in Marion Park downtown & lots of festivals, we have Whole foods and Trader Joes for good grub! Charleston is also a decent size college town, which I think keeps things a little more fresh and current in a town that also has an old town clique. You have the old Charleston families and Southern money and that is a world of its own all the stereotypical southern stuff, but you also have a new transplant community of young professional and newer way of thinking. The South is friendly and a slower pace, which can be mistaken for stupid at times and there is stupid here do get me wrong! It tends to be behind the rest of the country with lots of stuff but it gets there in the end! It is hot as hell in the summer and very very humid, tourists come in like the plague but in the winter months you get to enjoy the city to yourself and soak in the good restaurants and boutique shopping etc...
There is a divided poor part of town and it is still prejudice in a lot of ways, which does come with living in the South, crap traffic and crime, but after living in CA it will probably seem tame to you! It does have its own social culture, which you will either love or hate - My husbands family are both Southerners so I have been exposed to true southern ways...they can be very proper and snobbish especially in the Charleston area, but they are proud of their State. It would be a major culture shock from LA but if you are up for a total change of scene then jump in and visit and see what ya think!
As others said, the East coast as a whole has tons to offer, you are only a short flight to Boston, New York etc... Charlotte is a short drive as is Columbia, Savannah and the low country area which is gorgeous if you are a nature lover, marshes and marshes of scenery for miles, egrets and Aligators and wildlife preserves..... anyway hope this helps.... ! we dont have kids so no help with schools etc... but we both enjoy life here even with all its hang ups and good old boy networks etc... its like anywhere, it depends on what you make of it and how you interpret it I think. We have friends here from all over the country and European friends too all transplants as as well as locals so it does have a good mix if thats what you seek too - Good Luck!
Old Dec 9th 2011, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Tbag, thank you so much for all the great info! Lots to think about.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Married2abrit
I grew up in Summerville and it does have an excellent school system (Dorchester District 2), but that commute is going to be h#ll. In rush hour (which honestly lasts from about 4:00pm to 6:30pm) it takes over one hour to travel about 16 miles (North Charleston to Summerville). Daniel Island is a little less than 30 miles away from Summerville with only 2 bridges to access it (we have a Tea Party governor, so improvements to roads aren't a big thing with her). I'm sure you'll find a nice place no matter which area you choose. Wishing you all the best in your move.
Thanks.
I seem to have become a regular on the Charleston area, SC mailing list as yesterday I got a huge package in the mail full of info about Mt Pleasant and Charleston! I got one about Summerville a week or so ago! I went on their website about a month ago asking for some information and now they keep sending me stuff! Area does look nice though.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 4:02 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Tbag, thank you so much for all the great info! Lots to think about.
Still thinking of moving Sal? just got back last night from your neck of the woods!
Old Dec 17th 2011, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dollface
Still thinking of moving Sal? just got back last night from your neck of the woods!
Yeah still thinking about it - what did you think of Thousand Oaks?
Old Dec 17th 2011, 6:02 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah still thinking about it - what did you think of Thousand Oaks?
Really liked it - did the LA etc sight seeing thing too - loved Santa Barbara. Dont know if I loved it enough to move there indefinately though. Will you miss California? Also the price of healthcare looks very scary.................

Last edited by dollface; Dec 17th 2011 at 6:04 pm. Reason: addition.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Really liked it - did the LA etc sight seeing thing too - loved Santa Barbara. Dont know if I loved it enough to move there indefinately though. Will you miss California? Also the price of healthcare looks very scary.................
That's good - yes Santa Barbara is really nice. I'm not sure if I would miss it here.I moan about it enough Let us know what you decide.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 7:40 pm

That's good - yes Santa Barbara is really nice. I'm not sure if I would miss it here.I moan about it enough Let us know what you decide.
Will do - gearing toward Scotland though....................
Old Dec 18th 2011, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Will do - gearing toward Scotland though....................
I would - you can always come here on vacations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.