Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Changing a UK drivers license for US license

Changing a UK drivers license for US license

Old Nov 11th 2012, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

goldbears is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing a UK drivers license for US license

Hello, i was wondering if when i move to the US and become a citizen there, can i just exchange my license to get the US one? what would i have to do?
Old Nov 11th 2012, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing a UK drivers license for US license

It depends on the state but usually you have to take at least the written test and probably the road test. Fortunately both are (in most states) extremely easy.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Well, it's going to be Florida... any idea how much it would cost and that? i would be joining my fiance's insurance as well, if that would help...
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:02 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldbears
Well, it's going to be Florida... any idea how much it would cost and that? i would be joining my fiance's insurance as well, if that would help...
I don't know about the cost as I got my Florida license back in 2004, but I took the actual driving and written test. Both were easy. The written test was multiple choice and largely common sense. The driving test was done on a simulated track rather than actual road, so of course, aside from still feeling a bit awkward driving a left hand drive, I passed.

It's a piece of cake. I got my license while I was still going through the immigration process and wasn't yet a permanent resident. If you learned to drive in the UK, you'll pass easily here. When you see the awful standard of driving, you'll soon realise that any idiot can get a license.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Just learn to drive with your blinker on and you'll be fine!

BTW, it will take several years before you become a citizen. Unless it's changed sine I did it, you must be here and married to a USC for a minimum of three years before you even qualify (5 for any other reason)!
Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, i was wondering if when i move to the US and become a citizen there, can i just exchange my license to get the US one? what would i have to do?
First of all, you do not have to wait to become a USC to get a US driver license. You can get one way before then.

You mention a fiance, so I assume you are coming to the USA on a K-1 visa? If so, then once you have your SS number, you can go to DMV and take the written test and driving test and get a US license.

You can expect to renew the license each time a piece of your "evidence of status in the USA ID" expires...first it will be your I-94, then it will be your EAD, then it will be your 2-year green card, then it will be your 10-year green card (unless you become a USC before the 10-year card expires).

Rene
Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's going to be Florida... any idea how much it would cost and that?
Is Google broken? Why not just look up the Florida DMV web site and find out for yourself?

Ian
Old Nov 11th 2012, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Is Google broken? Why not just look up the Florida DMV web site and find out for yourself?

Ian
Here's a useful link.....

http://just****inggoogleit.com/
Old Nov 12th 2012, 4:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Test from scratch, you do the theory and road test.

Only a couple of states will allow you get a license without doing the full test, just the theory and eye test and Florida isn't one of them.

Citizenship has nothing to do with it.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 4:22 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

You can drive on your UK license for a year. Its easy once you get here.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
You can drive on your UK license for a year. Its easy once you get here.

No money back, no guarantee.. >.>

But seriously, so when i get there,if i talk to the Florida driving agency or whatever, they can let me drive for up to a year on my UK license before i apply for the tests that i need to take?
Old Nov 12th 2012, 4:58 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

But seriously, so when i get there,if i talk to the Florida driving agency or whatever, they can let me drive for up to a year on my UK license before i apply for the tests that i need to take?
Take that with a pinch of salt until you get some kind of confirmation, you may find that the year is for tourists, and once you are a resident or get a job then a different set of rules applies.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 5:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
You can drive on your UK license for a year.
I very much doubt it.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

No, you probably will need to get your license quite quickly if you're going on your fiance's auto insurance. They'll probably not insure you without a Florida one.

It's really not a big deal, I wouldn't make it one. From experience the UK driver's test was more complicated than you'll find the one here. After you arrive and get your SS number, you'll be able to go down and apply for one.

Here, read up on it: http://www.dmvflorida.org/first-time-driver.shtml
Old Nov 12th 2012, 5:12 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

No, the Florida Division of Motor Vehicles cannot do that. Florida law requires that if you have an out-of-state drivers license you must obtain a Florida license within 30 days of becoming a Florida resident.

Regards, JEff

so when i get there,if i talk to the Florida driving agency or whatever, they can let me drive for up to a year on my UK license before i apply for the tests that i need to take?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.