Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Changing UK Drivers Licenece to add a USA address

Changing UK Drivers Licenece to add a USA address

Old Mar 24th 2014, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing UK Drivers Licenece to add a USA address

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
The offence would be 'failure to inform a change of address' with the DVLA. The licence itself remains valid.
The problem is if you renew the DL using a UK address when you are not a resident. That is illegal.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

No chance of tickets being issued? The cops would need to issue a summons for any offence as foreign licences can't be endorsed. You think they're going to send a summons for an SP30 to America? I don't think so.
Er, yes they are!

My (persona non gratis) brother tried to give my US address when he got a camera ticket. They sent it to me here! At that time I could prove that I hadn't been in the UK for over three years (waiting for GC), so I was absolved, but I got the summons!
Old Mar 24th 2014, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

We keep coming back to this subject. Here is an official extract from here:
http://www.betterregulation.gov.uk/i...e336&tunnel=bl

the law requires that UK driving licences can only be issued to UK residents. This helps to ensure that people are not able to obtain a licence in two or more countries, possibly to escape the consequences of a disqualification.

and probably more reliably: https://www.gov.uk/change-address-dr...fore-you-start
the DVLA states that you must be a resident of Great Britain and provide addresses for the last three years.

Like others, I would be extremely careful about the police and insurance company reaction if I was using a UK licence when not resident.

Last edited by MidAtlantic; Mar 24th 2014 at 3:30 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:14 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Er, yes they are!
Yes they are to which bit? To the endorsement ability? If so, then I'm absolutely correct. A foreign DL can NOT be endorsed and is NOT subject to a FP. The matter must be dealt with by a court.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q418.htm

"Foreign Licence (non EC and EC non resident)
You cannot pay the fine and substantiate the ticket. You must go to court to be dealt with. You must still produce your documents (if requested) within 7 days but cannot surrender your licence to the police. You will receive a summons in the post in due course with a court date. Your licence will not be endorsed but you may get a higher fine.

If you are stopped by a police officer for speeding (rather than a camera) tell him that you have a foreign licence so that he can complete the appropriate paperwork."

If you're talking about whether the cops lay paperwork for a summons, then first you would have needed to complete a s172. Was this sent to your family member? If it was, they would have been simply within their rights to refuse to disclose the driver given the protections under the 5th Amendment. If it wasn't, then I would be very interested to know what the summons was received for?
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:18 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic

Like others, I would be extremely careful about the police and insurance company reaction if I was using a UK licence when not resident.
I get fed up of making these two points.

1. A UK drivers licence is not invalidated by virtue of the holder not being resident in the United Kingdom.
2. An inability to renew the PHOTOCARD does NOT invalidate the driving licence. Failure to renew your photocard is a separate offence under the RTA 1988.

If ANYONE is able to direct me to the piece of legislation (not quoting from the DVLA, actual Legislation from the Crown) that states a driving licence is rendered invalidated if the holder becomes a non-resident, I will pay them $100.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Er, yes they are!

My (persona non gratis) brother tried to give my US address when he got a camera ticket. They sent it to me here! At that time I could prove that I hadn't been in the UK for over three years (waiting for GC), so I was absolved, but I got the summons!
..and your brother then received a visit from plod for deliberately naming yourself as a driver when full well knowing it could not have possibly been you I expect? Sounds like your brother is a right shit.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The problem is if you renew the DL using a UK address when you are not a resident. That is illegal.
I'll let you know how I get on with that when my DL needs renewing - when I hit 70 years of age.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Invalidation and using it are two different things.

But anyway, I never understand this fascination on here with wanting to hold onto a UK licence. Only residents can get a licence (whether it remains valid afterward is academic, only a resident can obtain one in the first place). It clearly is a residential tie to the UK and HMRC consider it to be one.

Why bother? I just don't understand the attraction of it. If you move back to the UK you just give them your old DL number and get it reissued. It's of no practical use to you, you have to get a licence where you currently reside.

It's only going to create a question mark about where you reside, which is of no benefit.

In Alberta there is an agreement with the DVLA and they physically take it off you and (supposedly) return it to the DVLA so I had no option but I can't say I care.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve_
Invalidation and using it are two different things.
FWIW, I entirely agree. However, the discussion guided towards being whether it was 'legal' to drive on a UK licence when an expat.

Hey ho, maybe I'll get banned again for interjecting on this thread?
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:33 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

No chance of tickets being issued? The cops would need to issue a summons for any offence as foreign licences can't be endorsed. You think they're going to send a summons for an SP30 to America? I don't think so.
Power of Arrest under SOCA can be used
  1. To prevent any prosecution for the offence from being hindered by the disappearance of the person being arrested.
Replaces the old Sec 25 PACE power when a suitable address for a summons to be issued isn't given.

Been used a few times to detain foreign drivers. Banged up over night and court in the morning.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:40 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Changing UK Drivers Licenece to add a USA address

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
the law requires that UK driving licences can only be issued to UK residents. This helps to ensure that people are not able to obtain a licence in two or more countries, possibly to escape the consequences of a disqualification.

Ha ha - I currently have three driving licences; one for New Jersey (where we still have our house and I go back there periodically), one for Singapore - although it expires next year and we are unlikely to go back to Singapore when we relocate again next year - and a Swiss one.

I was sad to have to exchange my old GB pink paper driving licence (with the address of our house in Essex which we still own) but I was able to exchange it for the Swiss one; I just didn't fancy taking a practical and theory driving test in German and they don't allow you to take a translator over here...

I do drive our Swiss car in England from time to time though, but I try to avoid multi-storey car parks where possible as if I'm on my own I have to get out and walk around the car to the ticket machine to enter and leave.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lansbury
Power of Arrest under SOCA can be used
  1. To prevent any prosecution for the offence from being hindered by the disappearance of the person being arrested.
Replaces the old Sec 25 PACE power when a suitable address for a summons to be issued isn't given.

Been used a few times to detain foreign drivers. Banged up over night and court in the morning.
How does that work for an s172 issued in the mail? We're now in the realms of extradition - for a failure to identity a driver. Not going to happen.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'll let you know how I get on with that when my DL needs renewing - when I hit 70 years of age.
You must have an old pink DL. Most people have the photo ID DL which needs renewing every 10 years...that's when the problem arises.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:05 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

It's not actually renewed I think is the point he was making, it's updated under a different regulation. The actual driving privilege is valid until you're 70.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
...... I try to avoid multi-storey car parks where possible as if I'm on my own I have to get out and walk around the car to the ticket machine to enter and leave.
Might I suggest a pair of these.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.