Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Changing jobs - how much are insurance benefits worth?

Changing jobs - how much are insurance benefits worth?

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Changing jobs - how much are insurance benefits worth?

Originally Posted by Boiler
That thread seems to concentrate more on immigrants rather than returnees.

But the intent word is key and only you know that.

And of course the Inland Revenue definition for example is different to the NHS one.

It's true that the different government entities have different definitions of residence - then there's 'domicile' thrown in for some entities too - IR.

But 'intent' is the one for NHS treatment, which I thought was good to know.
The NHS page includes the returning expat's situation - it includes "resuming permanant residence". (not temporary residence)

In the back of an expat's mind do you think there is the little thought "Well if the worst come to the worst health (insurance) wise we could always go live in the UK again?
I know I've seen posters that get really upset about this - thinking it's taking advantage etc.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by farmerwife
It's true that the different government entities have different definitions of residence - then there's 'domicile' thrown in for some entities too - IR.

But 'intent' is the one for NHS treatment, which I thought was good to know.
The NHS page includes the returning expat's situation - it includes "resuming permanant residence". (not temporary residence)

In the back of an expat's mind do you think there is the little thought "Well if the worst come to the worst health (insurance) wise we could always go live in the UK again?
I know I've seen posters that get really upset about this - thinking it's taking advantage etc.
Begs the question what resuming permanent residence means.

A state of mind.

"Well if the worst come to the worst health (insurance) wise we could always go live in the UK again?
Which is well within the rules, so not a problem. I also had moralistic views, reality has unfortunately disabused them.

And you can get Hospital Treatment without residency anyway.

Even a return ticket does not substantiate intent to leave, could be cheaper, could be handy in case you change your mind.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Begs the question what resuming permanent residence means.

A state of mind.

Which is well within the rules, so not a problem. I also had moralistic views, reality has unfortunately disabused them.

And you can get Hospital Treatment without residency anyway.

Even a return ticket does not substantiate intent to leave, could be cheaper, could be handy in case you change your mind.
health insurance here is nothing short of legalised crime as far as I can tell. I have full group coverage, I pay nothing and yet its still a nightmare. One is always wondering what is covered. Even if you are covered they do everything they can to screw you. I am still fighting abill for $3000 from over 2 years ago which should be covered by my insurance but the hospital screwed up and didnt get their paperwork sorted out. AS far as I can see its easier for the hospital to try and screw you for the money than the insurance co. so they try you first.
We just got another bill for $900 for an ambulance and ER work which in theory should be covered acoording to the glossy insurance brochure no doubt they will find a way to wiggle out of paying that.
Insurers want all the premiums and none of the risks. If you are uninsured its a very dangerous path you tread. Personal insurance seems to be a total nightmare too with the pre existing condition BS, pregnancy being a preexisting condition of course.
Its such a bad situation that an american friend got married just because his girlfriend lost her job and thus her insurance. Needless to say the marriage has been a disaster.
My wife almost had to quit her job just so she could get inusured under my insurance, only her gift of the gab saved her.
NHS.. all is forgiven!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
health insurance here is nothing short of legalised crime as far as I can tell. I have full group coverage, I pay nothing and yet its still a nightmare.
True...if my company didn't stump it's share, medical insurance for me and the missus would be $950 a month...and we're sub 30 with no kids...lovely.