Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Changing jobs - how much are insurance benefits worth?

Changing jobs - how much are insurance benefits worth?

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing jobs - how much are insurance benefits worth?

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I might be (and probaly am) wrong, but I had the impression that expats are only entitled to emergency cover under NHS.
But you could move back that day, if you chose right? And then be covered by everything? Now I am going to have to sound ignorant, what exactly defines a British Expat. Simply not living there for some specified time? Or...?

I don't know about this issue, I have wondered about it.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
But you could move back that day, if you chose right? And then be covered by everything? Now I am going to have to sound ignorant, what exactly defines a British Expat. Simply not living there for some specified time? Or...?

An expat/expatriate is someone who is not living in his/her native country.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
An expat/expatriate is someone who is not living in his/her native country.
lol thanks, I wasn't sure if it was quite that simple.

So, the day you move back, you'd be covered again?
And what's to stop you from just "moving" back and forth?

This is an interesting issue for me, because of the insurance implications.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:17 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I might be (and probaly am) wrong, but I had the impression that expats are only entitled to emergency cover under NHS.
You are not wrong

I was about to suggest Giant and Mrs Giant move back to the UK* as all this insurance gobbledegook was doing my head in...

(* permanently )
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:21 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Though at a guess, there are many who do go back 'permanently' if they need extended medical attention
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Though at a guess, there are many who do go back 'permanently' if they need extended medical attention
Interesting. Well thank you all for the information.

Perhaps the OP will find the HIPPA (I alwasy think of a wild animal) info at least marginally useful.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

lol thanks, I wasn't sure if it was quite that simple.

So, the day you move back, you'd be covered again?
And what's to stop you from just "moving" back and forth?

This is an interesting issue for me, because of the insurance implications.
Strictly speaking back and forth will not do. You have to be an official UK resident ie pay taxes. At the moment we are residents of the US...even if we had a home in the UK...we are still US residents.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, there is another significant thing to consider, I think. Forgive me, I might not remember all the details, but a insurance broker should be able to tell you.

If you are with a group, they have to cover any medical conditions you might have. If you get individual insurance, they can probably drop you. And then the real problem begins.

If you go to a new job with health cover, and IF you have had continuous cover with a group, pre-existing conditions must be covered immediately.

Individual insurance has no such requirements.

If you go with a new group then, and haven't been with a group for some time period (90 days?) I am not sure that they will have to cover pre-existing conditions. EDIT - won't have to comver them IMMEDIATELY

I might not be totally correct, check up on that information, but I think so.
where the missus use to work, pre-existings wouldn't be covered till a year in....but then again, unless you were management, you couldn't add anyone to your insurance till you'd been there a year anyway...plenty of conditions on being able to get it and all.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

On thing I am very curious about... the NHS counts as creditable coverage. Now, I believe (tell me if I'm wrong) you are entitled to use the NHS simply by being a British citizen. Being in the US doesn't cancel that - you could return to the UK on the next plane and the NHS will treat you. So... if even if a UK citizen didn't have any other cover, would this force the insurance company to cover everything from day one?
It's not a citizen thing but a residence thing, so if your resident in the UK, regardless of citizenship, your covered, so students coming over etc would be covered from day one.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

It wouldn't work...for a start you should be registered with a GP, taxes, so proof of residence with utilities, voter enrolment...and doing anything like that would kill your greencard.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
It's not a citizen thing but a residence thing, so if your resident in the UK, regardless of citizenship, your covered, so students coming over etc would be covered from day one.
Got it, thank you for the information. We wern't planning silly like running back and forth btw, I was just wondering if it might have counted for the 'creditable insurance' thing.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
It wouldn't work...for a start you should be registered with a GP, taxes, so proof of residence with utilities, voter enrolment...and doing anything like that would kill your greencard.
I am not so sure, I can think of circumstances where all those apply and you are not resident and where none of them apply and you are resident.

Residency can mean many things, even within the US none of the various Government bodies seems to have a common definition. whether it be Immigration, Tax, DLV, Student Tuition etc etc.

From a practical point of view I am sure many people do pop back and reside for a while.

Just because you are claiming Residency for NHS purposes does not mean you have abandoned Residency for USCIS purposes.

Get Citizenship and that problem goes away.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am not so sure, I can think of circumstances where all those apply and you are not resident and where none of them apply and you are resident.

Residency can mean many things, even within the US none of the various Government bodies seems to have a common definition. whether it be Immigration, Tax, DLV, Student Tuition etc etc.

From a practical point of view I am sure many people do pop back and reside for a while.

Just because you are claiming Residency for NHS purposes does not mean you have abandoned Residency for USCIS purposes.

True, but I was generalising...as there is a difference residing than holidaying...
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Boiler

As far as NHS is concerned - residence intention is the thing.
An expat would be covered from day one of their move back, if the intention was to re- establish their UK residence. And they could be asked to prove that intent.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...articleId=1087

If you are an expat visiting the UK - you are only entitled to emergency treatment.
It's possible that establishing UK residence could affect a green card.
As Boiler pointed out - becoming a USC takes away that problem.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by farmerwife
As far as NHS is concerned - residence intention is the thing.
An expat would be covered from day one of their move back, if the intention was to re- establish their UK residence. And they could be asked to prove that intent.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...articleId=1087

If you are an expat visiting the UK - you are only entitled to emergency treatment.
It's possible that establishing UK residence could affect a green card.
As Boiler pointed out - becoming a USC takes away that problem.
That thread seems to concentrate more on immigrants rather than returnees.

But the intent word is key and only you know that.

And of course the Inland Revenue definition for example is different to the NHS one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.