Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Changing job / contract

Changing job / contract

Old Apr 15th 2006, 6:01 pm
Just a rock in the rain

nai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to behold
Default Changing job / contract

Ok I realize that ultimately this decision I have to make, but am after some opinions really. At the moment I work for a computer repair shop as a technician, been here for almost 4 months now and am looking for a new job (0 prospects here / crap money). Last week I get a call from this woman who saw my resume on Monster and has a job I may be interested in.

Now this new job pay's almost double the hourly rate ($19 to start) that I am currently on, so has a big plus side to it. However, it's only a 6 month contract with possible extension and is instead of a 30 mile trip to work, about a 50 mile trip. If gas prices would stay steady for once instead of yo yo constantly then gas would not be much of an issue. Gas does not bother me too much though, as even after spending the extra I am still a considerable amount better off than I currently am. Although I might have to look for something a bit more economical than the F-150.

The thing I am worried about is the contract side of things, does anyone know what the chances are of these type of contracts being extended/permanent? I know this depends on the company, but wondering if anyone had been in the same situation. While I do want a new job, I don't want to find myself out of work in 6 months time, as I have a 10 month old baby and debts back in the UK.

The way I am looking at it is that if I get offered and take the job I can make a similar amount of money in 6 months as I would in a year where I currently am, if at the end of 6 months the contract does not get renewed I can always take a job at Lowes/Wal Mart etc temporarily, and whilst at the contracted job can still look for permanent work. And if the contract does get extended then great

So after all the rambling above, does anyone have any experience with this sort of contract? someone told me that it could be their way of getting a longer than 30 day probation period out of me. So any opinions? Thanks.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:50 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing job / contract

Originally Posted by nai_in_av
Ok I realize that ultimately this decision I have to make, but am after some opinions really. At the moment I work for a computer repair shop as a technician, been here for almost 4 months now and am looking for a new job (0 prospects here / crap money). Last week I get a call from this woman who saw my resume on Monster and has a job I may be interested in.

Now this new job pay's almost double the hourly rate ($19 to start) that I am currently on, so has a big plus side to it. However, it's only a 6 month contract with possible extension and is instead of a 30 mile trip to work, about a 50 mile trip. If gas prices would stay steady for once instead of yo yo constantly then gas would not be much of an issue. Gas does not bother me too much though, as even after spending the extra I am still a considerable amount better off than I currently am. Although I might have to look for something a bit more economical than the F-150.

The thing I am worried about is the contract side of things, does anyone know what the chances are of these type of contracts being extended/permanent? I know this depends on the company, but wondering if anyone had been in the same situation. While I do want a new job, I don't want to find myself out of work in 6 months time, as I have a 10 month old baby and debts back in the UK.

The way I am looking at it is that if I get offered and take the job I can make a similar amount of money in 6 months as I would in a year where I currently am, if at the end of 6 months the contract does not get renewed I can always take a job at Lowes/Wal Mart etc temporarily, and whilst at the contracted job can still look for permanent work. And if the contract does get extended then great

So after all the rambling above, does anyone have any experience with this sort of contract? someone told me that it could be their way of getting a longer than 30 day probation period out of me. So any opinions? Thanks.
What information do yo have about the employer who'll you be working for on the contract? Also, is the contract directly with the business you'll be working at or is it through an agency/consultancy?

Ask questions about the business where the contract is based to find out about existing projects, future projects, the number of permanent employees there versus contractors.

Also, does your current job not give you an opportunities to network or get contacts for future jobs? Do you ever have to drop by customer to pick up/drop off or even work on-site? You should be taking every opportunity to carve a path to your next job. Americans do this all the time.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Which State are you in?

Colorado for example is a fire at will state, works both ways so really nothing guaranteed more than 2 weeks max.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:59 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Cut and run (not legal advice).
Old Apr 16th 2006, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I am amazed you have a contract

I have worked at 3 places since comming here and never seen a contract. When I once asked about one I was laughed at.
They just seem to hire and fire at will.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

My $0.02 - Take the contract.

I take it this contract is thru an agency? If so, not only may the employer extend your contract, they may offer you a permanent place. Who knows?Secondly, if it is thru an agency, they may well get you more contracts.

The job I'm working at now, I started on contract and am now permanent. I basically carved out myself a niche to make myself the only person in the organisation who understood one of the systems we use.

As this job pays double what you're getting now, I take it it requires more skills (sounds to me like you're overqualified for what you're doing now) - so it'll look a lot better on the resume too.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

give it a go, but don't burn your bridges incase you can't extend and have to go back to the shite job?

if nothing else it'll get you something on your resume with US experience and perhaps make some contacts....though have a look at how much you'll take home because you might end up with a larger chunk taken as tax and not notice the benefit of the pay increase...
Old Apr 17th 2006, 1:52 pm
Just a rock in the rain

nai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the replies.......

NC Penguin - it's working for Verizon / MCI, I would imagine they probably have a fair amount of people who are on a contract as well as permanent staff. This contract is through an agency. My current job does give me some opportunity to make contacts, and where possible I have.

Boiler - I am in Virginia, Northern about an hours drive from DC.

Patrick Hasler - I don't have a contract at my current job, and do find this weird since every job I had in the UK had some sort of contract. It left me wondering about what sort of notice period I would have to give, since there is nothing written.

Pharrya and Bob - Thanks for the advice.

I had been thinking about this over the weekend, and if offered the job will take it. Just have to sit and wait now for a phone call!!

Thanks again all.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

NC Penguin - it's working for Verizon / MCI, I would imagine they probably have a fair amount of people who are on a contract as well as permanent staff. This contract is through an agency. My current job does give me some opportunity to make contacts, and where possible I have.

Boiler - I am in Virginia, Northern about an hours drive from DC.

Patrick Hasler - I don't have a contract at my current job, and do find this weird since every job I had in the UK had some sort of contract. It left me wondering about what sort of notice period I would have to give, since there is nothing written.

Pharrya and Bob - Thanks for the advice.

I had been thinking about this over the weekend, and if offered the job will take it. Just have to sit and wait now for a phone call!!

Thanks again all.

I do not know what the rules are in Virginia, usually in the US it is down to your payment basis. So if you are paid every fortnight you need to give notice till your next pay day. Some Sates have a bit more protection for the employee, you would need to check the State web site.

Contracts are not the norm, surprised me as well. This is even with very large IT companies.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

- it's working for Verizon / MCI,
I'd certainly take the job - large public companies use loads of contractors - it enables them to keep the earnings per employee ratio up which keeps share holders happy and lets them be flexible in their staffing requirements. If you perform well there is an excellent chance of the contract being extended - I have friends who have been on this type of contract at the same company for years.

Do ask if the company has a policy of the length of time a contractor can stay at the company though - a very few do although it is very unusual for the allowable time period to be less than two years.

I'd imagine Verizon/MCI is still going through major upheaval from their merger which will probably make for quite an unsettled workforce - this has good and bad sides - if you can stand the uncertainty you might find a lot of opportunities for getting a permanent job.

Good luck.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 4:20 pm
Just a rock in the rain

Well it's like waiting ages for a bus and 2 come along at once!! After thinking about the Verizon contract over the weekend, I get a call Monday from another agency about a contract with AOL. I tell them sure, I am interested, this morning at 10am I get a telephone interview, and by 10:15am I am an AOL employee starting on May 1st at $20 per hour. It's another 6 month contract but the woman said they are looking at options for extensions/permanent employee's.

Can't help but wonder if I could have asked for more than $20 per hour, when I told the agency consultant that I was looking for $20 (based on the Verizon deal) she sounded surprised like I should have asked for more.........problem is I have no real idea what the going rate is around the Dulles area and did not want to come across greedy and end up with no job.

Very pleased though, the woman who interviewed me said she normally does face to face, but based on my resume and past experience did not feel the need for me to drive out there for an interview. Going to be celebrating later
Old Apr 19th 2006, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on getting the job. You can always second guess the $'s you should have asked. Once you start the job, make a few mates and nose around to find out what you should be getting for the type of work involved, so you will be better placed when your contract is up for renewal.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the job - that's great. A good tactic when asked how much you expectto earn is to say something like "Well, I seem to be well qualified for the role and it's certainly something I will enjoy doing so I'm sure we can reach agreement on pay. What are you expecting to pay to fill the position?" The idea is to get them to name a pay rate first so you know you're not underpricing yourself considerably. If they offer much less than you want you can always say no and name the price you would take the job for. If they name a pay rate that would be fantastic that's great - but it's always worth gently asking for a little more - very few people name their top rate the first time.

It's always a good idea to have done some background research to find out what expected salary ranges are for the area/job before an interview (there are a number of websites that would help - just Google) but it's best to try and get them to establish the ballpark range before you do.

As your on a short contract you'll be better able to judge whether you got a good deal when your renewal comes up and ask for more then if appropriate.

Cheers
Old Apr 19th 2006, 3:42 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:07 pm
Just a rock in the rain

Woohoo just got the news that my contract is being turned into a permanent position

I am meeting later with my boss to discuss salary expectations, so am trying to get some research in this morning to find out what I should ask for. Hoping for $60k+

Full benefits will be nice too, they provide dental/medical/vision etc

Good start to the weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.