British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Changing Flights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/changing-flights-359931/)

Big D Mar 8th 2006 3:29 pm

Changing Flights

We are flying home next week for a visit LGW via MAN. However we would like to visit family in London so wanted to change the outbound to get off in London. Now i know i didnt buy a flexible ticket - but basically to do this they will charge me 100 bux plus recharge the flight at todays rates which means an increase of $2k - and i am on the same plane and in fact freeing up a seat that they can resell!!!

So not surprised as we are dealing with Bastard Airways - but a little disappointed.

Thinking of pleading a family emergency at LGW and getting them to pull our bags - mate of mine was scared of flying and did this and went the UK bit by train!!

Any other thoughts on this?

anotherlimey Mar 8th 2006 3:34 pm

Re: Changing Flights

Originally Posted by Big D
We are flying home next week for a visit LGW via MAN. However we would like to visit family in London so wanted to change the outbound to get off in London. Now i know i didnt buy a flexible ticket - but basically to do this they will charge me 100 bux plus recharge the flight at todays rates which means an increase of $2k - and i am on the same plane and in fact freeing up a seat that they can resell!!!

So not surprised as we are dealing with Bastard Airways - but a little disappointed.

Thinking of pleading a family emergency at LGW and getting them to pull our bags - mate of mine was scared of flying and did this and went the UK bit by train!!

I don't think there's a way around it; BA are the worst for customer service.

woodsey Mar 8th 2006 3:38 pm

try speaking to someone else, always fly BA and they have moved my non flexible flights before and only ever been charged $50, they've never charged me the addition cost of the flights for booking later...confused with what you're doing though, are you flying to Manchester then on to Gatwick or Gatwick then to Manchester?

Big D Mar 8th 2006 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by woodsey
try speaking to someone else, always fly BA and they have moved my non flexible flights before and only ever been charged $50, they've never charged me the addition cost of the flights for booking later...confused with what you're doing though, are you flying to Manchester then on to Gatwick or Gatwick then to Manchester?

No - we fly from US to LGW and then MAN return as that was final destination - what i want to do now is get off LGW and get car etc - then fly back from MAN as planned. The guy was reading the rate rules - I will try again later in the week and see whether the answer is the same!

ironporer Mar 8th 2006 3:45 pm

Here in the US, the remainder of the ticket would be cancelled for doing that.

And the airlines wonder why they are all in bancruptcy...

Big D Mar 8th 2006 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer
Here in the US, the remainder of the ticket would be cancelled for doing that.

And the airlines wonder why they are all in bancruptcy...

Yeah - thats a good point - my mate did it on his way home, they did say that it happened a lot though? Might be worth asking - otherwise i have to drive back from manchester to london - or just scrub those plans!

BigDavyG Mar 8th 2006 4:01 pm

Yeah - thats a good point - my mate did it on his way home, they did say that it happened a lot though? Might be worth asking - otherwise i have to drive back from manchester to london - or just scrub those plans!

You def won't be able to cancel just one leg of the man flight, but maybe both if you speak to a customer services rep with half a brain.

Big D Mar 8th 2006 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
You def won't be able to cancel just one leg of the man flight, but maybe both if you speak to a customer services rep with half a brain.

I don't doubt it - but cant see why it should be such a problem - its not like i haven't paid for that leg!!! its just a chance for them to get some more money that they lose by offering competative rates in the first place! Bastards!

snowbunny Mar 8th 2006 4:07 pm

Aug 2004: I was late (flight about to take off) for my return to Houston from Gatwick. Was booked on next flight to US -- Atlanta -- no fee charged.

Feb 2006: I was late for *checkin* (would have made the flight just fine but arrived at checkin 40 mins before flight departure). Was booked on next flight to Houston (same as original destination). Loads of spare seats. Was charged $100 for changing the flight!

BA do seem a bit schizoid.

Patrick Hasler Mar 8th 2006 5:00 pm

Try phoning BA at the head office and talking to someone other than a cretin who gets comission. I have got great results in the past by talking directly to a supervisor at BA and Virgin.

Big D Mar 8th 2006 5:02 pm

Well I spoke with another of their guys and he will do it for 100 bux change fee, which isnt too bad - better than the thousands the first guy was talking about!!!

snowbunny Mar 8th 2006 5:46 pm

Well I spoke with another of their guys and he will do it for 100 bux change fee, which isnt too bad - better than the thousands the first guy was talking about!!!

You could keep trying for a lower offer. :D :D :D

Do bear in mind though (as I found out) that they sometimes keep notes of enquiries! with your booking.

Big D Mar 8th 2006 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
You could keep trying for a lower offer. :D :D :D

Do bear in mind though (as I found out) that they sometimes keep notes of enquiries! with your booking.

Nah - I'll cough for it and then write a letter to their chairman asking why its so high - and that between me and family/friends we give them at least 30 roundtrips a year so i should be valued etc etc

Last time i complained to him i was sent a case of wine!

Bob Mar 8th 2006 6:03 pm

Lot of airlines get arsey when you cancel or don't use a leg of a flight, especially with flights starting/ending in the US...BA usually aren't bad, but depends on who you call, make sure they actually work for BA rather than a contracted worker who works for Singapore air, because they get paid less, and they couldn't give a toss and are whats causing the problems for BA...

snowbunny Mar 8th 2006 6:11 pm

Last time i complained to him i was sent a case of whine!

Oh the British have such humour. :D