Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Changing finance company for returners

Changing finance company for returners

Old Jul 9th 2018, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

formfill1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing finance company for returners

I have found it difficult managing funds in the US after returning to the UK due to not having a US address.
In a recent thread, theOAP kindly send a link to a thread on another forum where similar problems were discussed.

One poster said he was going to change to Schwab, as his account was being closed, and that Schwab had a London office.
Has anyone taken this step, and if so, could they relate whether or not it solved some of the difficulties UK returners have faced?
Old Jul 9th 2018, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing finance company for returners

It might be worth checking out the UK Yankee forum, as the issue is probably more common there. Or maybe that's where theOAP's thread came from in the first place?
https://talk.uk-yankee.com/

Looks like Schwab have a dedicated service for such people. U.S. Expat Essentials

I do have an account from Schwab in the US, and they seem like a pretty reliable company. I had a quick look around, and it seems that the usual recommendations for people wanting to have US accounts after leaving the US are Schwab, or Interactive Brokers, who are much less well-known. You may find you need to transfer investments from mutual funds to ETFs, though.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

formfill1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing finance company for returners

It might be worth checking out the UK Yankee forum, as the issue is probably more common there. Or maybe that's where theOAP's thread came from in the first place?
https://talk.uk-yankee.com/

Looks like Schwab have a dedicated service for such people. U.S. Expat Essentials
Yes, the link was for the UK-Yankee forum.
I posted back on this forum, as there seems to be a number of returners who could benefit from the link sent by theOAP.

I've had a quick look at the website you mentioned, and it may be just for US citizens. I have posted an email to them to see if they deal with NRA's.