Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Changes to UK retirement benefits

Changes to UK retirement benefits

Old Dec 3rd 2006, 3:37 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changes to UK retirement benefits

I've been paying attention to the recent changes to UK state retirement benefits; gradually increasing the retirement age etc, and the onther day I got a letter from the foreign NI office in Newcastle saying that if I had 30 years of voluntary contributions I should stop paying as that now qualifies for full state pension. Well I have a few years to go yet, but it got me thinking. Does anyone know if the new rules affect expats paying Class 2 contributions or if the government is looking to alter our benefits in any way
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changes to UK retirement benefits

Originally Posted by nun
I've been paying attention to the recent changes to UK state retirement benefits; gradually increasing the retirement age etc, and the onther day I got a letter from the foreign NI office in Newcastle saying that if I had 30 years of voluntary contributions I should stop paying as that now qualifies for full state pension. Well I have a few years to go yet, but it got me thinking. Does anyone know if the new rules affect expats paying Class 2 contributions or if the government is looking to alter our benefits in any way
Careful, it has not yet been passed into Law yet.I have had the same letter as I am still paying voluntary Class 3.I suggest a waiting period into next year then contact them again.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Careful, it has not yet been passed into Law yet.I have had the same letter as I am still paying voluntary Class 3.I suggest a waiting period into next year then contact them again.
yup, definitely hold off on it, unless you've only got a couple years left...

to make the contributions though, you've had to been working for 3 years before you buggered off abroad, so I don't have the years, which is a bit off, oh well.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

budtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to behold

Not yet passed into law and will not come into effect until 2010.

I have just been looking at making some class 2 catchup contributions to make sure I get my 44 years!! If you already have your 30 years in, then you can stop paying now.

If the new rules do not come in, then you can simply play catchup.

Old Dec 20th 2006, 1:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budtonite
Not yet passed into law and will not come into effect until 2010.

I have just been looking at making some class 2 catchup contributions to make sure I get my 44 years!! If you already have your 30 years in, then you can stop paying now.

If the new rules do not come in, then you can simply play catchup.

Interesting...my hubby's received no such letter.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 2:58 am
Just Joined

budtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to beholdbudtonite is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Interesting...my hubby's received no such letter.
It is well worth contacting them to request a statement of your contributions and also a forecast of your pension. You can make the request via e-mail, but any reply containing personal information will be returned by regular mail.

They were fairly responsive - 4 to 6 weeks - fairly reasonable. They will also provide you with SOME information relating to the 2010 changes along the lines of what I posted above.

Old Dec 20th 2006, 3:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budtonite
It is well worth contacting them to request a statement of your contributions and also a forecast of your pension. You can make the request via e-mail, but any reply containing personal information will be returned by regular mail.

They were fairly responsive - 4 to 6 weeks - fairly reasonable. They will also provide you with SOME information relating to the 2010 changes along the lines of what I posted above.

OK...thank you...we will do just that.