Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CHANGES TO BRITISH PASSPORT SERVICES IN THE USA

CHANGES TO BRITISH PASSPORT SERVICES IN THE USA

Old Sep 6th 2013, 7:15 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CHANGES TO BRITISH PASSPORT SERVICES IN THE USA

Originally Posted by Steve_
There is no subsidy, it's full cost recovery. So it should be the same.

If it's not the courier cost I assume it must be because it's harder to do for some reason, e.g. check the person actually exists and their countersignatory.
If you don't believe that taxes subsidise the civil service, you're living on a different planet.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 7:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
There is no subsidy, it's full cost recovery. So it should be the same.

If it's not the courier cost I assume it must be because it's harder to do for some reason, e.g. check the person actually exists and their countersignatory.
In any/all businesses full cost recovery inevitably includes some portion of allocated overheads, and there are almost limitless options for allocating overheads, and the result is that the "true cost" is a more or less meaningless number that results from the overhead allocation. An example of this is the real estate cost of overseas embassies that handle passport applications, what portion of the cost should be allocated to the cost of the passports? A simple proportion of the total cost of the building? What if the passport staff work in a fancy office with a view of the grounds? Isn't that office space more valuable? Or if they're in the basement, should they be allocated less? Or does it really matter as the quality of the office space has nothing to do with the business of issuing passports, and just use the average (mean) cost, .... the mean cost for that building, or all the embassy buildings in that country, or jn the region served by that embassy, or just the average for, all British embassy buildings. .... But at what exchange rate? (The questions are potentially endless! )

FWIW In any case I don't believe that the price of passports is derived from a full cost recovery figure.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 6th 2013 at 7:51 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Woods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really niceWoods.usa is just really nice

Hmm, I think it's because we have the audacity to be in the States and need to renew our British passports, LOL!

This is why we haven't been back to the UK since 2005...I have three child passports and two adult ones to pay for...and we have to pay for US ones for the kids and myself. We figured it' nearly two grand just to sort out all passports...then we'd still have to pay for tickets. :-(
Old Sep 7th 2013, 4:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Passport production is solely funded by passport fees. The price of a British passport also includes a small consular fee which goes to help fund consular services for those in need overseas.

Previously the higher cost for overseas application was due to economies of scale. Application forms in the UK are read by machine. Overseas the data entry is done by hand. Several million passports printed in the UK each year by De La Rue on an automated industrial scale. All British passports produced overseas were printed in small offices by FCO staff individually by hand.

Now that both the application process and the printing process are both done in the UK there is no longer any justification for the increased cost. The overseas costs are being held at a higher rate until April when the last of the overseas posts (which is Dublin weirdly enough) returns to the UK. At that point the cost should come down worldwide to the UK price plus the extra courier fee.

We shall see.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
At that point the cost should come down worldwide to the UK price plus the extra courier fee.

We shall see.
Hahahaha!
Old Sep 7th 2013, 5:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you have settled in the United States, and have a U.S. passport, it's no longer a necessity to continue holding a British passport.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 6:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
At that point the cost should come down worldwide to the UK price plus the extra courier fee.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

cabmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope this might help someone .
If like me , you have made the application for your passport through the Washington DC Embassy channel and have questions on the progress
Call the UK number + 44 208 082 4721 in my case the + number was 011.
have debit or credit card handy ,they want payment up front , my charge from Florida was $ 7.92 .
They told me in my particular case that there was a problem with the photo`s taken at Walgreens ,something about they could not make out the hair line because of the background / hair colour. but the most disturbing thing about this was, they said they E-mailed me and I never got it , NO phone call either to my home or cell number .The gentlemen that talked to me entered all my info again so that they could contact me with instruction of what to do .
Using the above mentioned number will save you time / frustration at trying to go through the GOV. given # (took me 6 trys to get to the person who gave me this number) oh! and $$ in wasted phone calls .
Old Sep 14th 2013, 12:59 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Always check your spam inbox if you think there's a problem. The emails can often end up in there.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 1:03 am
Just Joined

lesleyeblen is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm new to this website (looks great so far!).
Glad to find this thread as I thought I was losing it, having previously copied down the Washington address for renewing my passport!!! Really cheesed off that I didn't do this earlier as it's now even MORE expensive as I have to pay for a courier to the UK!
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the various couriers available for sending the renewal app to the UK?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

Alternatively, I understand you can still schedule an appointment at the passport office and get it renewed in 1 day. My niece did this last year, she lives in Jedda but renewed it in Liverpool in person on a recent trip home.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:42 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Just about to send mine off.

Any suggestions for the mailing-to-the-UK part? I'm leaning toward just using USPS International Flat Rate unless someone has something better? (Better being more reliable).

https://www.usps.com/send/priority-m...onal-flat.htm?
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:20 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Just about to send mine off.

Any suggestions for the mailing-to-the-UK part? I'm leaning toward just using USPS International Flat Rate unless someone has something better? (Better being more reliable).

https://www.usps.com/send/priority-m...onal-flat.htm?
Poking this thread once more before popping it into the mail.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Eeny, meeny, miny, mo...
Old Sep 19th 2013, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

So? Did you use USPS? Please keep the forum posted on how long it takes. We're getting ready to send off for my daughters but I am kind of reluctant due to lead times. We will be traveling to uK at Xmas (she will use her US passport) I didn't want to send off application and not be at out US home when it's delivered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.