Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Change of Address Panic - Help (gulp)

Change of Address Panic - Help (gulp)

Old Sep 24th 2003, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Change of Address Panic - Help (gulp)

Hi Guys,

I need to change my address details with the authorities and not sure where to start!

I think I know who to contact on the immigration side of things but who/how do I contact regarding SSN#? The only time I've ever seen anything written about SSN is on my application at the interview which said 'tick this box if you want your number sent out automatically' - which I ticked. We are awaiting 2 numbers to be mailed out to us and I need to tell them that the address they have is no longer valid.

Sorry if this has been asked before - always grateful.......
Old Sep 24th 2003, 2:42 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know the SSN# doesn't matter for the change of address, it just follows you around. Kind of like you Nat Insurance number in the UK.
as for moving before you get your SSN#'s just get your mail forwarded by the post office.
Also you can call the local SS office to get your number once it has been assigned.

with regards immegration fill out and send the AR-11 form
Download PDF here
Old Sep 24th 2003, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by manc1976
As far as I know the SSN# doesn't matter for the change of address, it just follows you around. Kind of like you Nat Insurance number in the UK.
as for moving before you get your SSN#'s just get your mail forwarded by the post office.
Also you can call the local SS office to get your number once it has been assigned.

with regards immegration fill out and send the AR-11 form
Download PDF here

Thanks ever so much
Old Sep 24th 2003, 5:06 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

The SSN web site has a form you can download re change of address. You should change it to help prevent fraud.

You need to take the form to the SSN office - doesn't take long.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/
Old Sep 24th 2003, 5:07 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

From the SSN site:-

Claimants, or individuals who receive Social Security or Supplemental Security Income, may report a change of address by calling our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213. Our representatives there will be glad to take the information and make any necessary changes in our records.

A change of address also may be reported to our local Field Offices. Addresses and telephone numbers of these offices may be obtained from the Social Security Office Locator at http://www.ssa.gov/locator/

You may also change your address online with us, IF you have received a password. Social Security is now offering limited password services. Only people who received a letter from us about password services can have a password at this time. We will offer additional opportunities to get a password soon. If you have received your password, you can change your address at http://www.ssa.gov/coa/

If you are not receiving benefits, Medicare, nor have a claim pending with us, we DO NOT keep a record of your address.

If you received a Social Security Statement with an incorrect address, those addresses came from the Internal Revenue Service and you must make the correction with them, not SSA. You can download the change of address form from IRS Internet Website, or you can call the IRS toll-free telephone number at 1-800-829-3676 and ask for Form 8822.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 5:10 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

cheers Scotch, didn't know that site existed.